U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
Default What ethnicity is commonly associated with Bay Ridge?

hello everyone,

i am considering relocation to bay ridge. my family is from the area, and they always called it an Italian neighborhood. they are Italian though, so I think their view is skewed. from what I can tell, bay ridge is actually very diverse with many different ethnicities and cultures living in the area. with that being said, I was just wondering what a local's view was on a dominant culture in Bay Ridge. is there a dominant ethnicity that is associated with Bay Ridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:50 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,912,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay ridge moving View Post
hello everyone,

i am considering relocation to bay ridge. my family is from the area, and they always called it an Italian neighborhood. they are Italian though, so I think their view is skewed. from what I can tell, bay ridge is actually very diverse with many different ethnicities and cultures living in the area. with that being said, I was just wondering what a local's view was on a dominant culture in Bay Ridge. is there a dominant ethnicity that is associated with Bay Ridge?
In my opinion is mainly Italian some Russians/Ukrainian and Arabs.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 PM

304 posts, read 809,993 times
Italian and Irish, plus Arabs (both Muslim and Christian), Asians, and Russian/East European.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,008,840 times
Bay Ridge is primarily Italians, Jewish and Arabics

Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Bay Ridge is primarily Italians, Jewish and Arabics
Jewish?
I don't _think_ so!
Obviously, every NYC neighborhood has some folks from every ethnic/religious group ... but B.R. is one of the _least_ "Jewish" neighborhoods my friends and I ever lived in.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 PM

2,969 posts, read 3,559,535 times
It's mostly Italian, Irish, and Russian in the southern sections, and Arabs and Chinese to the north.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM

1,810 posts, read 4,125,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Jewish?
I don't _think_ so!
Obviously, every NYC neighborhood has some folks from every ethnic/religious group ... but B.R. is one of the _least_ "Jewish" neighborhoods my friends and I ever lived in.
That is true,you probably have more jewish people living in Dyker Heights or Bath Beach then you do in Bay Ridge.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,684,200 times
My Greek friend who grew up in Astoria in the 60s and 70s told me that everyone in her generation moved from Astoria to Bay Ridge when they had kids of their own.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 AM

1,992 posts, read 5,136,544 times
I would say Italian, Arabic, Eastern European, with a small Latino and black population.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
My Greek friend who grew up in Astoria in the 60s and 70s told me that everyone in her generation moved from Astoria to Bay Ridge when they had kids of their own.
There's still a significant Greek population -- plus some Greek Orthodox churches, Greek-Orth. parochial school, etcetera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City