U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 AM
ako ako started this thread

140 posts, read 218,165 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting New York City this summer and I have to ask, what should or shouldn't a tourist do to avoid being robbed or scammed? I'm probably going to be there by myself and I'm kind of nervous because I've never been alone in such a big city before.

I asked people who have been there and they told me that I shouldn't display obvious touristish signs like standing around with a map out . They said there will be people who try to mess around with tourists and trick tourists of their money and those people look out for obvious signs like this.

What else should I do to survive visiting NY? Thanks!

By the way, I'm staying at a friend's house in East Brunswick, NJ, and I'm wondering how I can get to Manhattan and back each day. Are there regular buses or ferries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,017,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
I'm visiting New York City this summer and I have to ask, what should or shouldn't a tourist do to avoid being robbed or scammed? I'm probably going to be there by myself and I'm kind of nervous because I've never been alone in such a big city before.

I asked people who have been there and they told me that I shouldn't display obvious touristish signs like standing around with a map out . They said there will be people who try to mess around with tourists and trick tourists of their money and those people look out for obvious signs like this.

What else should I do to survive visiting NY? Thanks!

By the way, I'm staying at a friend's house in East Brunswick, NJ, and I'm wondering how I can get to Manhattan and back each day. Are there regular buses or ferries?
I don't live there, but I've been in the city numerous times for about 8 years now. Really, all you need to do is use the same common sense in Manhattan that you would in any other city - not walk around carrying a map like you said, I would pocket the camera and any valuables instead of displaying them, don't fall asleep on the train/subway with the iPod on, etc. If you're ever lost you can just ask someone traveling on foot, 99% of the people I've come across have been really friendly and helpful in giving directions.

As for getting into Manhattan from Jersey, best thing to do would probably be to either take the PATH train or use the NJ transit system, which I've used a few times since I have family in Jersey and I've entered the city from there.
This is their website, it may help: www.njtransit.com/

Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,948,600 times
I really wouldn't worry about it too much. To be safer if using an atm use one in a bank vesituble rather than one right out on the street and put your money in your wallet before you come out. Keep some money in your pocket if you're going to be buying food or something on the street (to avoid standing there with a wad of cash in your hand). If you have a very expensive camera don't hand it to someone and ask them to take your picture.

It's nice to try avoid standing there with a map but the truth is at some point - you're going to be standing lost with your map. It is far more likely that someone will just walk up and help you rather than rob you! Have a fun trip!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,583 times
I've been to Manhattan alone twice since 9/11 and both times were pleasant for me with one exception. One thing I did when I was out sightseeing, shopping or whatever, as touristy as I may have looked I used a fanny pack (with the snap twisted around as close to my front as well as the bag) with very little cash on me and the rest in the hotel safe. If I did carry a purse, I made sure it was over my head and in front of me rather than off to the side.

The one time that I did see a problem was down near Macy's (that park next to it). There was live music there on a Friday afternoon so I was standing near listening...and watching. This guy "bumped" into me. Luckily I caught on to what he was trying to do and he wasn't able to lift anything from me personally. However, I did watch him bump into another younger girl and pretty sure he got something from her purse. When I tried to tell her and her friend what I thought was happening, she didn't understand a word I was saying. I believe she was a visiting Russian.

Anyway, have a wonderful time in NYC when you go! I love it up there!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 AM

176 posts, read 432,442 times
Speaking of ATMs, since Irish Eyes mentioned it, do avoid those small Convenience store ATMs if possible. Higher fee's and they're more likely to be compromised.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,430,932 times
I see a ton of people walking around with maps in Manhattan... yes, we usually lump them in with tourists, but no one bothers them..

Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 AM
ako ako started this thread

140 posts, read 218,165 times
I guess it's just common sense then. Thanks for the tips!

Moar please.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

4,002 posts, read 5,245,357 times
There was a time when some people made a living scamming tourist (and locals), but that was a long time ago. It pretty much ended with Giuliani. Common sense is all you really need. Most locals are quite friendly; we know how important tourism is to the economy.

The one rule is: Don't obstruct the flow of foot traffic. If you need to stop on the sidewalk, stand next to the building, not in the middle. If you have to ask directions, ask someone who is already stopped (i.e., having a cigarette or waiting for the subway). Most people are happy to help as long as you don't make them stop moving.

I've lived here for years, but I sometimes need a map, for example, to find a subway station I've never used before. That's one of the reasons I love my iPhone. You can look at a map and everyone one the street thinks I'm just checking email.

An iPhone (I don't have experience with other devices) is extremely useful in the city. I use to all the time to find restaurants and cafes that I wouldn't know about otherwise (even in neighborhoods I know well).

New York is full of tourists, as long as you're not gawking and pointing a tall buildings, no one will notice or care. If you really want to blend in, don't dress like a tourist.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM

1,056 posts, read 659,938 times
dont buy gold from people on the streets. dont stop when somone asks if you want fake id. the biggest scam back in the day were people selling boxes that they claimed had vcrs in them. they only had a big rock when they took it home and looked inside.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 PM

674 posts, read 1,197,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
dont buy gold from people on the streets. dont stop when somone asks if you want fake id. the biggest scam back in the day were people selling boxes that they claimed had vcrs in them. they only had a big rock when they took it home and looked inside.

Funny that actually happened to one of my friends last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City