U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM

11,714 posts, read 9,972,929 times

Advertisements

Whenver I visit NYC I always have this fear that something is going to fall down from a building I'm walking by some day, like during a big windstorm.
In Toronto, a couple years ago, a marble tile let loose from a 72-story building there, but no one was injured. I'm more fearful of walking near high-rise apartments with balconies.

Obviously, that fear can't be that great, as I haven't seen anybody walking the streets there with hard-hats.

When and if these incidents occur, is it all kept quiet or do you read about it in the newspapers, particularly if someone was gravely injured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 PM

129 posts, read 277,364 times
When I read your thread title, it made me actually stop and think, Wow -- I've lived here a long time and I've never ever worried about that.

I can't remember hearing of many (if any) incidents like that on the news. Which is kind of amazing, now that I think about.

Of course, now tomorrow I'll be on my way to work ...

Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,630,432 times
Especially in the last couple years, I was always nervous walking near/under those roof-top construction cranes.....

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM

82 posts, read 152,373 times
I thought about when 6 foot icicles formed outside my office in January of this year. Granted my office is on the 2nd floor, but what could happen if one were to fall from 100 feet?

Last edited by runtothesun; 05-07-2009 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: force = mass x acceleration

Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 PM

84 posts, read 188,932 times
Kids were dropping eggs and other foods out the window trying to hit people on my street the other night. Could just as easily drop bricks if they're demented enough. I've thought about it before but I don't worry about it, it's just part of NYC life and not worth being paranoid over. Of course, be careful at construction sites.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,266,811 times
I once read in the newspaper that a man died while walking on a sidewalk in manhattan from a falling air conditioner,what are the odds of something like that happening?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM

6,638 posts, read 11,595,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I once read in the newspaper that a man died while walking on a sidewalk in manhattan from a falling air conditioner,what are the odds of something like that happening?
I too heard of someone( a little kid) who got killed by an A/C in The Bronx.
I knew someone who got hit on the head with the glass table top that blew off a balcony. Dead.
Once,I saw a big glass coke bottle blow off a window sill and smash into a sidewalk.No one was hurt but someone got hit in the leg by a piece of the shrapnel.

Over the years,I have heard of or seen on TV numerous incidents like this.I think it is more common than you would think.
Here is one I googled :http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/13430

Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 AM

7,338 posts, read 7,848,799 times
I've always thought about the AC thing. Nobody actually has brackets holding their window AC in NYC. They just haul it up there and close the window on it.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM

6,638 posts, read 11,595,513 times
Because there were a lot of injuries from falling air conditioners there was a law passed 3 or 4 years ago with a specified type of bracket that must be used for widow air conditioners.The city has been cracking down lately and issuing violations and fines.I live in a coop and the board cracked the whip so that our building is in full compliance.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM

2,812 posts, read 2,546,099 times
Few years ago a flower pot came crashing down a few feet from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City