U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 65,713 times

Advertisements

what about comparing Boston to a place like Jersey City, Weehawken or Hoboken - are those cheaper? How is the commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,597,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas29 View Post
what about comparing Boston to a place like Jersey City, Weehawken or Hoboken - are those cheaper? How is the commute?
Boston rents are slightly less expensive than NYC but it is easier to find an apartment without paying an outrageous 15% broker fee which is standard in all the 5 boros of NYC and now the suburbs.

In the suburbs of Boston, it is still easy to find reasonable rents & home prices without having to spend 90 minutes commuting each way to work.
The Boston area still has a large middle class population unlike the NYC metro area where there is a sharp division between very rich & very poor.

Jersey City, Weehawken & Hoboken have gotten very expensive and not much cheaper than Manhattan. What is weird is that the supposed median or mean income in Hudson county is reported at $50,000 but it is hard to find an apartment for less than $2,000 a month or a condo for less than $400,000 in the bad parts of Jersey City near Bayonne.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
There are lots of nice places where you can live in the NYC area on 50k-55k a year, especially if you are young and have no kids. Parts of Jersey City are an option, also Bayonne is pretty nice (but geared more for families & older folks). Look into the Southern part of Brooklyn, places like Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst. There are also a lot of neighborhoods in Queens that are reasonably priced for a 1br.

Just look around on craigslist. On 50-55k a year you can live in a lot of places in the NYC area, probably just not Manhattan, Hoboken, Williamsburg/Park Slope, and parts of Jersey City.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Boston is and will always be a conservative town, more suited for the elderly and traditionally-minded than for young folks. To mention the arts which is my field, you can hardly get a good contemporary show there because all the people want is 18th-century-style statues and paintings! Maybe for my grandma, but I won't go for that.
This is truly strange, because it's the exact opposite of what Boston is. It has been nicknamed "the city of Youth". To me Boston is exactly that: youth, ambition, art. Bright students, musicians with instrument cases, elegant streets, easy transportation. Museums and concerts and books and good restaurants. It's the most stimulating place to be for a young person.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 PM

84 posts, read 193,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
ontheroad, I disagree with you. Who says there's "nothing wrong" with Boston (other than yourself, that is)?

Boston kind of dies after five when the people flee to the suburbs and definitely dies after 10 pm. Not that it doesn't have its party areas, but in general it is a quieter place.

Boston is and will always be a conservative town, more suited for the elderly and traditionally-minded than for young folks. To mention the arts which is my field, you can hardly get a good contemporary show there because all the people want is 18th-century-style statues and paintings! Maybe for my grandma, but I won't go for that.

And the same goes for architecture, minds and ideas (check that sad Boston skyline).

Boston's crime rate keeps going up. They've got a problem.

Personally, if I'm going to pay big buck for living, I'd rather do it in the greatest city on earth. I'll be safer, I'll be more entertained, I'll have more stuff to do. And I'll feel the pride of living in New York.
I never thought of Boston as being dangerous at all but checking the crime statistics it is more dangerous than NYC.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
I never thought of Boston as being dangerous at all but checking the crime statistics it is more dangerous than NYC.
Virtually every major city in the U.S. has a higher crime rate than NYC.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 PM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas29 View Post
I am a soon-to be college grad, and am trying to decide between living in NYC or Boston. Particuarily, I was wondering about cost of living. What can I expect to pay for a 1-2 bedroom apartment in each city? Are utlities, groceries, insurance, etc. that much different? I would really like to save some money starting out, but I have heard this is near impossible in New York on around 50-55K. Suggestions?
Job market is bad all over but its especially bad in new york right now. I would pick boston personally.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramellatta View Post
This is truly strange, because it's the exact opposite of what Boston is. It has been nicknamed "the city of Youth". To me Boston is exactly that: youth, ambition, art. Bright students, musicians with instrument cases, elegant streets, easy transportation. Museums and concerts and books and good restaurants. It's the most stimulating place to be for a young person.
Theres the young college town boston and then there is also parts akin to what that poster was talking about. Its a mix...

Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Virtually every major city in the U.S. has a higher crime rate than NYC.
You still trust nypd crime stats? I sure as hell dont anymore...

Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You still trust nypd crime stats? I sure as hell dont anymore...
Do I think they are completely and totally accurate ? No
Do I think they are any more inaccurate than the stats in Chicago or Boston or St Louis or Philadelphia ? No

Do I still think that NY's crime rate is considerably lower than most other major cities ? Yes,definitely.

The accuracy of the NYPD crime stats and the relative crime rates of major American cities are two different issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or