Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

I agree with your comments Ninja. MotorMan, I would like to add this, since it would not kill a person (man OR woman) to give up their seat to someone with a stroller, would it then kill a person to stand while they have a stroller, and furthermore, do they have the authority/right to unleash a tirade as to why they deserve special treatment, and how people (men in particular) are rude/evil for not submitting to what this woman believes she is entitled to? Standing with a stroller is not inconvenient, UNLESS you are on a crowded train, in which case the stroller should have been closed in the first place...BECAUSE YOU ARE INCONVENIENCING OTHER PASSENGERS (and it is prohibited no less). So apparently it is okay to inconvenience others, but a MAJOR problem, and an indictment on our society (especially men), when this woman is inconvenienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Just as an aside to this, I think very carefully before I give up my seat or offer help to someone on the train. I have no intention of being embarassed once again by offering help and getting cursed out. It is not fun and it is embarassing especially when you cannot curse back at the other person.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 PM

341 posts, read 452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
But soo many times I have seen women coming on with their stroller/shopping cart fully loaded on a crowded rush hour (5-ish) subway and I have to ask myself "why?".

Some may have good reason. They may not have time to shop or do whatever, but for as many as may have a good reason to take the space of 2 people with their clunky awkward convenience mobiles, there are many more that have no other reason than they do not want to carry their kids around in a sling/sack/backpack/harness.

And don't even get me started on mommies with the "look at me" double and triple wide strollers.

So what I am saying is that the consideration goes both ways. From people offering their seats to ones that need them to mommies that do not bring the Sport Utility Stroller with them at rush hour on the F train.

SERIOUSLY! It KILLS me when people bring their kids/babies out at rush hour. Some of the time I think they can't help it..other times..I'm just thinking...HOW RUDE. Forgive me for being annoyed with strollers and housewives in advance..since I'm not sure if I might be one one day..but then again, I'll probably just buy a mini van or something.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,095 times
Why can't you?

You offer the chair, if they LOOK preggers, but you are not sure, don't SAY you are doing it because you think they are pregnant. Just offer teh seat because they looked tired and you were getting off soon anyway (even a lie at that point will soften things).

I don't think I have ever been, or seen anyone insulted for offering a chair. My guess is that it is all in how you do it:

"Excuse me, you look old, you need a seat take mine" will not win you any points!

*I am reminded of, what was it, The Odd Couple? Felix trying to offer help to an old lady crossing the street and getting whalloped*

Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
SERIOUSLY! It KILLS me when people bring their kids/babies out at rush hour. Some of the time I think they can't help it..other times..I'm just thinking...HOW RUDE. Forgive me for being annoyed with strollers and housewives in advance..since I'm not sure if I might be one one day..but then again, I'll probably just buy a mini van or something.
A mini-van?

In Manhattan?

I guess you will just call the stores ahead of time and have someone waiting on the curb for you to drive by and pick it up like the brass ring on a ferris wheel?

(J/K!!!!)

Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Standing with a stroller is not inconvenient, UNLESS you are on a crowded train, in which case the stroller should have been closed in the first place...BECAUSE YOU ARE INCONVENIENCING OTHER PASSENGERS (and it is prohibited no less). So apparently it is okay to inconvenience others, but a MAJOR problem, and an indictment on our society (especially men), when this woman is inconvenienced.
While it's true that standing with a stroller on the train is not inconvenient unless the train is crowded, it's also true that MTA regulations require strollers to be closed before entering the trains--whether or not they're crowded. Of course, people are going to take issue with this. Or in plain English, they're going to come up with every rationalization and justification they can to do what they want to...whether or not they're supposed to be doing it.

But I see your point and you're absolutely right; it suddenly becomes a major decision worthy of the Supreme Court the minute a woman is inconvenienced (not all women, of course, but only a select few).

It would be much easier not to have any rules at all. But that would probably open an entirely new set of floodgates.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 PM

341 posts, read 452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
A mini-van?

In Manhattan?

I guess you will just call the stores ahead of time and have someone waiting on the curb for you to drive by and pick it up like the brass ring on a ferris wheel?

(J/K!!!!)
Haha...we don't all live in Manhattan. I'd live in Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten, or Queens...

IDK, but I imagine that if I have kids, planned at least, I want a house or condo that has parking...this way I can have a "family" car. I know it doesn't always happen that way...again..forgive me for being bitter towards the "stay-at-home-mommies" who feel the need to hold us all up during rush hour. I could strangle them sometimes.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM

88 posts, read 420,372 times
How about escalator etiquette? I find it hard to believe that so many people living in a large urban environment are unable to understand the simple act of standing on one side of the stairs, rather than standing side by side with their friend. Are they too stupid, or just Mod cut: language? At a subway station today, a couple of cops blocked the way on a long escalator, making dozens of people wait an extra half minute. A naive person like myself would assume that a police officer of all people would know better than to be so rude and ignore instructions. This sort of thing happens almost every time I use an escalator... often they block the way just in front of me, which isn't bad as I'll tell them to 'excuse me' and get past.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-15-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
I know it's like their legs suddenly stop working because they're on an escalator.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 PM

101 posts, read 162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree with your comments Ninja. MotorMan, I would like to add this, since it would not kill a person (man OR woman) to give up their seat to someone with a stroller, would it then kill a person to stand while they have a stroller, and furthermore, do they have the authority/right to unleash a tirade as to why they deserve special treatment, and how people (men in particular) are rude/evil for not submitting to what this woman believes she is entitled to? Standing with a stroller is not inconvenient, UNLESS you are on a crowded train, in which case the stroller should have been closed in the first place...BECAUSE YOU ARE INCONVENIENCING OTHER PASSENGERS (and it is prohibited no less). So apparently it is okay to inconvenience others, but a MAJOR problem, and an indictment on our society (especially men), when this woman is inconvenienced.
That's the tragedy of women mentality today. They don't realize when they are inconveniencing others, but EXPECT and DEMAND that others ALWAYS accommodate them, if not, then they cry how people have no etiquette. Why should we give you etiquette if you don't give me etiquette?

And I thought women ALL want equality. You want to be paid the same as men, have the same chance at promotion as men, etc. But you still want to keep the inequality of females receiving special treatment just because you are female. So basically, you want equality only when it benefits you, and will discard the equality that makes you lose special privileges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City