U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 PM

101 posts, read 498,366 times

Advertisements

Im so angry because no one has any respect on the subway elevator especially on the L line...I go to use the elevator and Im with a young child and a baby in a stroller and it never fails. A bunch of healthy people who can walk the stairs always crowd the L line elevator and hop in and me and my child always has to wait for the elevator to come down when it should be the opposite...Ughh I have a stroller! Why cant they walk or atleast let the passengers the elevator was made for go on the elevator first! They didnt put the elevators in so that able bodied individuals can get a free ride . It was put in for disabled people, women with strollers , and people with luggage...It makes me so pissed off when they cram in thier like sardines...What for? Use your legs and take the friggin stairs...

Also why are so many men so rude...When there is no elevator and Im struggling up the stairs with a baby in one hand and a stroller in another..Why do some men just race ahead of me not even asking if I need help with the stroller ...Ocassionally someone will ask if I need help but geez there are so many times when they just race right on by me...Where are the manners?

The NJ transit bus drivers get on my nerves...Sometimes they dont like to get out of thier seat to open up the luggage compartment so I can put my stroller in so they just sit and watch me struggle to load my stroller up on the bus with a baby in my hand not even offering to help and if they do open it up they just open it they dont help me put the stroller in the compartment ...Another passenger had to help me while the bus driver just stood and watched me struggle...How flippin rude! I didnt even say thank you to him . I just glared at him when it was my time to pay. I know some ppl have the attitude like who cares it's not my kid why should I help a mom with a stroller..but imo it's about common decency ..If someone is in need of help and you are able to why not just help them out? Why is it necessary to be so cold hearted.....

While Im at it I cant tell you how many times Ive been on a bus or subway and men are sitting in the seats while Im holding my child on my hip trying not to tip and fall over and they are just casually just reading thier papers or ipods in thier ears...I almost fell over once and no one offered me a seat yet when one of them left and I sat down the jerkoff who saw me standing up struggling had the NERVE to try to ask for my phone number!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:23 PM

7,069 posts, read 8,182,259 times
I am sure there is some truth about your rant. Just bc some people appear "healthy", it doesn't mean they are. Never judge a book by its cover.

On rare occasion my feet pain (plantar fasciitis) flare up badly & its painful for me to walk up stairs. So I have to take a elevator too. Seemingly I appear healthy young man if you met me. It's the same reason I sometimes don't want to give up my seat on the subway

Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,156,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
Im so angry because no one has any respect on the subway elevator especially on the L line...I go to use the elevator and Im with a young child and a baby in a stroller and it never fails. A bunch of healthy people who can walk the stairs always crowd the L line elevator and hop in and me and my child always has to wait for the elevator to come down when it should be the opposite...Ughh I have a stroller! Why cant they walk or atleast let the passengers the elevator was made for go on the elevator first! They didnt put the elevators in so that able bodied individuals can get a free ride . It was put in for disabled people, women with strollers , and people with luggage...It makes me so pissed off when they cram in thier like sardines...What for? Use your legs and take the friggin stairs...
My understanding is (and I hope Fred corrects me if I'm wrong) that the elevators are in place to comply with federal ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations. That means, their designated purpose is to allow disabled individuals access to the subway. Being a single mother with children is not a disability covered under the Act. That means you don't have any more "right" to the elevator than anyone else, and need to wait your turn with everyone else who wants to use it.

Quote:
Also why are so many men so rude...When there is no elevator and Im struggling up the stairs with a baby in one hand and a stroller in another..Why do some men just race ahead of me not even asking if I need help with the stroller ...Ocassionally someone will ask if I need help but geez there are so many times when they just race right on by me...Where are the manners?
When you're on the stairs, do you have that stroller folded up as it's supposed to be? If not, you're making it harder on yourself than you need to. As for others helping you -- yes, manners are important -- but it sounds as though you think other people have a responsibility to help you, and that's just not the case.

Quote:
The NJ transit bus drivers get on my nerves...Sometimes they dont like to get out of thier seat to open up the luggage compartment so I can put my stroller in so they just sit and watch me struggle to load my stroller up on the bus with a baby in my hand not even offering to help and if they do open it up they just open it they dont help me put the stroller in the compartment ...Another passenger had to help me while the bus driver just stood and watched me struggle...How flippin rude! I didnt even say thank you to him . I just glared at him when it was my time to pay. I know some ppl have the attitude like who cares it's not my kid why should I help a mom with a stroller..but imo it's about common decency ..If someone is in need of help and you are able to why not just help them out? Why is it necessary to be so cold hearted.....
I'm curious to know if transit bus drivers are supposed to help passengers with luggage. I'm assuming they're not, for legal reasons. We live in such a litigious society these days and I can just imagine if a driver decided to help load something (say, oh, a stroller) in an overhead compartment and accidentally dropped the item, injuring someone. That would leave them wide open for a potentially costly personal injury lawsuit.

Quote:
While Im at it I cant tell you how many times Ive been on a bus or subway and men are sitting in the seats while Im holding my child on my hip trying not to tip and fall over and they are just casually just reading thier papers or ipods in thier ears...I almost fell over once and no one offered me a seat yet when one of them left and I sat down the jerkoff who saw me standing up struggling had the NERVE to try to ask for my phone number!
Again, I absolutely agree that manner are important and sorely lacking in many situations today. But, as I mentioned above, others have no responsibility to offer you -- or anyone else -- their seat on a bus/train. Speaking of -- when you do have a seat, I assume you always fold the stroller so it's not blocking the aisle or other seats? Also, I assume you hold your children (who ride for free) on your lap -- so they don't take a seat that an adult (who paid to ride) might need? That would, after all, be the polite thing to do.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM

101 posts, read 498,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
My understanding is (and I hope Fred corrects me if I'm wrong) that the elevators are in place to comply with federal ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations. That means, their designated purpose is to allow disabled individuals access to the subway. Being a single mother with children is not a disability covered under the Act. That means you don't have any more "right" to the elevator than anyone else, and need to wait your turn with everyone else who wants to use it.

I dont agree ...If I didnt have a stroller I would take the stairs. It has gotten REALLY ugly ..I didnt comment on it but a young man and woman did and it got really nasty. He told him to take the stairs and cursed him out and told him to get off the elevator to make room for me and the stroller . I know the elevator is for disabled people but I would think that the healthy people should take the stairs when ppl with strollers and wheelchairs need to use the elevator...Everyone climbed in the elevator once and a guy with a wheelchair rolled up and I cant believe no one got off the elevator..They just closed the doors in our faces. Im too nice because I hardly ever say anything about things like that.

When you're on the stairs, do you have that stroller folded up as it's supposed to be? If not, you're making it harder on yourself than you need to. As for others helping you -- yes, manners are important -- but it sounds as though you think other people have a responsibility to help you, and that's just not the case.

I'm curious to know if transit bus drivers are supposed to help passengers with luggage. I'm assuming they're not, for legal reasons. We live in such a litigious society these days and I can just imagine if a driver decided to help load something (say, oh, a stroller) in an overhead compartment and accidentally dropped the item, injuring someone. That would leave them wide open for a potentially costly personal injury lawsuit.

The luggage compartment isnt overhead...It's below the bus .

Again, I absolutely agree that manner are important and sorely lacking in many situations today. But, as I mentioned above, others have no responsibility to offer you -- or anyone else -- their seat on a bus/train. Speaking of -- when you do have a seat, I assume you always fold the stroller so it's not blocking the aisle or other seats? Also, I assume you hold your children (who ride for free) on your lap -- so they don't take a seat that an adult (who paid to ride) might need? That would, after all, be the polite thing to do.
I think they should get up when a woman with a child comes on the subway...I was 9 months pregnant and I had to stand on the A train all the way from Junction to 42nd street ! Everyone just stared at me ...I wanted to blow up at them..Im not the only person with this same complaint..A young lady who was pregnant had the very same complaint about ppl not wanting to offer thier seat. She is more outspoken than me because she will yell and scream until a man gives up thier seat lol ....Im not pregnant anymore so *shrug* ..It's not too often thank God ..Ive met alot of very nice ppl ont he subway who was more than happy to give up thier seat and when Im not with my kiddos I ALWAYS stand up and give up my seat to the elderly or a young parent..It's no big deal to stand when you are a single individual..Heck I stood up on the B44 most of the ride and that's a longggg bus route..I would sit down see someone in need and get back up ..what's the big deal? Some ppl are just selfish imo.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,999,893 times
I understand your anger/resentment but you can make things easier on yourself.

First, why not get an "umbrella" stroller?? They're much lighter and much easier to fold/unfold. How old is the baby?? If the baby is young enough, you can get one of those backpack things that people carry their babies around in (I would suggest a front-carrying one).

Second, plan your trips. Know where you're going, know what you absolutely NEED to bring (not a ton of crap). It will make things much easier.

Don't get yourself all riled up being mad at people not offering their seat or taking the elevator. It wastes energy. The elevator is there for anyone to use. The only people you **have** to yield to are the disabled. Also, people rarely offer their seats on the subway (probably because they're just happy to have one)

The NJ Transit drivers cannot help you to pack your items in the luggage area or wherever. They aren't allowed to.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:03 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,553,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Well...that's true; there weren't elevators at subway stations until ADA regulations forced their construction. So on that level, it's correct to say that the OP hasn't got a particular "right" to use them.

As to all the complaining about an absence of consideration, nobody gets any arguments from me. Believe me when I tell you, I see more than my share of it. Unfortunately, you can't legislate consideration. And in many cases, you can't even make the offending parties feel guilty. (You can, however, point out their godawful behavior in public--a strategy with which I happen to agree).

Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 PM

197 posts, read 804,024 times
I understand that you have small children, however that does not mean that you are the only one allowed to use elevator. The elevator was installed for physically challenged people to have equal access to the subway. Just because someone is not in a wheelchair does not mean they can use the stairs. Many people old and young have problems that keep them from using the stairs. As a former Marine, I know plenty of disabled veterans here in NYC who are still in their 20s, often they have prosthetic limbs that are not visible in a suit.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
Sometimes when I'm in a rush to make the train and I see someone get out of the elevator at ground level, I'm tempted to hop in to try and make it in time. But I know it's wrong, so I never do it.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 26,805,354 times
And I thought we had problems out here in the land of cars. My wife loves loading up our kids, there stuff, a stroller for our youngest, sometimes a couple of fold up kids skooters. All that just to get three kids off to school each week day, or take the kids out on an outing. Kind of makes me sad that I drive a Porsche and miss out on all that fun. Seems that the same rude people live out here. No one will get the door for us at the mall, library, or other public place. We have to do it for ourselves. Terrible thing that is. And I was thinking when we had kids everyone would go out of their way to help us out. I am sadd that the same kind of attitude lives within the NYC area. Who would have thought that rude people won't help out those of us that choose to have children. We are creating the future leaders of the nation and no one will help us with a seat, open the door, or let us enter an elevator. I think that families should be made into a protected group and people everywhere should be forced to give up their seats for those of us that have kids. People should be forced to allow those with kids go first. People that don't have kids should make it easier for those that have kids. It should be a law. LOL

Old 05-10-2009, 12:07 AM

243 posts, read 1,210,730 times
Hey all ...

Haven't posted in a while but this thread caught my attention ... figured I'd add my $2.25 (oops , meant 2 cents)

I'm a subway motorman (train operator) for two years , and I agree completely about the total lack of respect and common decency shown by many (not all) of the passengers to one another , both on and off the train. I'm operating and I hear the music blasting non stop from people's headphones inside the operators cab behind a closed steel door. If someone is playing a radio , I'll tell them to stop , but with a device using headphones even if it's audible , it's not practical to constantly stop the train and single out individuals and go through a whole song and dance with them (why am I the only one being picked on / I'm wearing headphones / it's not that loud , etc.) It would be great if people practiced common courtesy , unfortunately in many cases they don't.

Here's a tip to any pregnant / disabled riders or anyone who is just plain tired and standing : MTA employees are allowed to ride the subways for free. The catch is : we are not allowed to sit when there are no seats available for paying customers. That's a rule. If people are standing and any seats are available and those standing chose not to take the seats , then we don't have to get up but once the train fills up we HAVE TO get up and give up seats to paying customers. So ... if in the future you don't have a place to sit and you see someone in an MTA uniform sitting , ask for his/her seat if no other seats are available. They MUST give it up , and frankly should have done it without having been asked , but I won't go there ...

It amazes me how sometimes able bodied men would dart into a seat I just vacated with people more in need of the seat still standing. So now I wait until passengers board and the train car is filled and pulling out , then I'll get up and offer the seat directly to someone who needs it.

As far as the elevators go , they were put in to comply with the ADA but anyone is free to use them. Common sense should apply however , especially in the case of mothers with strollers.

The MTA strictly forbids employees from assisting employees carrying strollers with toddlers in them because of liability reasons , and though I've never seen it enforced , an employee could be written up for it. However , if you'll remove the toddler , many employees will help carry the stroller up and down stairs for you. Unlike giving up the seat on a full train , however , nobody is required to assit with strollers , but a smile and a polite request will usually get the job done.

A final tip for all the riders out there ... if anyone on a subway train is violating any rules , if you alert a conductor or train operator they are required to alert control center / ask for police assistance if required / and if safe to do so tell the person they are in violation and request they cease the activity. We are NOT allowed to forcibly remove people from the trains (believe me , I wish we were allowed and many other guys would agree with me on that ) - but we can discharge the train if the condition is so unsafe we deem we cannot proceed with safety.

If someone is panhandling , smoking , playing loud music , being profane , etc. etc. DON'T put up with , discreetly alert the conductor or train operator. If they are reluctant to help or get involved , ask for their pass numbers and you'll get the help you need. It's our job. It's the same with police , sometime people alert a cop to something that may be wrong then all turns out ok and they're embarrassed. Why? Tax money pays for public employees and services. Demand you get them , just try and be nice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City