Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 AM

142 posts, read 515,095 times

Advertisements

My UPS guy told me this morning that there is a Spanish guy taking packages sending to my address.
Obviously, the package sends to that spanish guy and the guy stood in the front of the building to intercept the package. This just happened a week ago.
My UPS got suspicious because he delivers to my apt for more than 10 years and he knows who live in my apt. He told me he notified UPS security and asked me to watch out for any suspicious activity.

What action do I need to take to make sure nobody is stealing my identity, address or anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM

204 posts, read 810,640 times
It sounds like someone is carding and is waiting for the deliveries.

Usually they use a random address, but you may want to check all of your credit cards to make sure there is nothing suspicious in case he is carding and shipping to your house.

You could always call the police and say someone suspicious is standing in front of your house and accepting packages with your address on it. The police will probably do nothing about it though.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,782,675 times
If you're concerned about identity theft, you should contact the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experien, TransUnion) and put them on notice that you have a concern.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,082,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
If you're concerned about identity theft, you should contact the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experien, TransUnion) and put them on notice that you have a concern.
Go to www.annualcreditreport.com for free reports from all 3 bureaus.

If any accounts are shown that aren't yours, file fraud alerts with all 3 bureaus and contact the creditors.

Someone is probably ordering goods as gifts using stolen credit card numbers and intercepting them at your door.

Probably not identity theft, but the defrauded merchants may contact you.

You might ask UPS security to call you. The 800 # for UPS should be able to have an investigator call you.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times
He could be using other people's credit cards and having the items shipped to your address. He doesn't necessarily have to be using your cards. Is he just in front of your building or in front of your actual apartment door?

I would call UPS (or go to their location) and make them put a trace on these packages --- give them the names of everyone in your building and tell them that no packages for any other names should be delivered there. I would also go to the police, but they won't do anything. Tell your UPS driver to no longer deliver packages to this person. If he has a delivery for this person, he needs to have his supervisor call the police and have the police meet him at the address and demand the guy's ID.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. The guy will probably use your address a handful of times and then move on to greener pastures.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM

35 posts, read 164,033 times
You really have nothing to worry about , its the people who credit card information he stole that has to do the worrying

Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 AM

304 posts, read 1,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
He could be using other people's credit cards and having the items shipped to your address. He doesn't necessarily have to be using your cards. Is he just in front of your building or in front of your actual apartment door?

I would call UPS (or go to their location) and make them put a trace on these packages --- give them the names of everyone in your building and tell them that no packages for any other names should be delivered there. I would also go to the police, but they won't do anything. Tell your UPS driver to no longer deliver packages to this person. If he has a delivery for this person, he needs to have his supervisor call the police and have the police meet him at the address and demand the guy's ID.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. The guy will probably use your address a handful of times and then move on to greener pastures.
Before I stopped worrying, I'd take all of the precautions you suggested.

I've known instances where scammers used faked/stolen credit cards and (no idea how they pulled this off) had merchandise delivered to buildings in actual residents' names, or to "FakeName, c/o Actual Resident."

It came to light only when the scammers didn't intercept in time -- so that unwanted packages landed on residents' doorsteps; or they got the UPS/USPS/FedEx notices; or the super smelled a rat -- since deliveryguys asked him to take too many "c/o" packages, or packages that were "c/o" too many tenants (all of which he refused to do).

In some cases, the scammers lived on the same block, or even in the same building, or were tenants' relatives or "guests."

Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM

468 posts, read 2,350,503 times
This is a pretty common scheme for receiving things using stolen CC numbers... I'd report it to the cops and call the cops if you see the guy. People are getting their CCs ripped off! Don't let people get away with it.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM

142 posts, read 515,095 times
thanks you, guys
will take all the step necessary

Old 06-01-2017, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 8,723 times
You don't need anyone else's credit card information he could just put your address down on his account and just be shipping thing to your house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City