U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ECONOMY IMPACT JOB-WISE
I have lost my job & I'm currently unemployed. 16 21.62%
I have lost my job & managed to find something mediocre, in comparison to "get me by" for the meantime. 5 6.76%
I still have my job but they have cut my pay and/or benefits quite a bit etc. 5 6.76%
I have my job, they haven't cut back on anything, but they have put a freeze on raises/promotions, etc. 17 22.97%
The economy hasn't impacted me job-wise @ the moment 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 AM

6,631 posts, read 11,586,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
It would be, were this a statistically valid poll. I'm pretty sure that NYC's overall unemployment rate is far less than 20%.
Right.The national unemployment rate was 4.9% before the recession started and it is now around 8.6 % . That means that around 4% have lost their jobs in the last year or so. It also means that more than 90% are still working.Let's keep things in perspective.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 AM

6,628 posts, read 8,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
It would be, were this a statistically valid poll. I'm pretty sure that NYC's overall unemployment rate is far less than 20%.
Actually, if you count p/t workers who wish to work f/t and those who have given up seeking work, the national unemployment rate is about 16%, so it's not so far off base (this is an actual gov't # too, it's just the first 8.9% number that gets pushed in the press). Actually the 25% number that was the height of the Great Depression used a method in which the 16% number is more comparable (though not exactly, a true comparison of methods would put today's number at about 12-14%).

I don't think it's that high here either though as NYC is supposedly one of the "better" employment areas right now in the state by state and region by region unemployment breakdown.

I could see Michigan having 20% unemployment though soon.....

Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 10,608 times
Michigan probably does have that high of unemployment; the two jobs I had in Michigan closed down (both part time jobs due to college), I mean its just ridiculous; At least now I know that I have a great excuse to move back to the NYC, lol, and thats to look for a job after I am done this year.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 AM

4,502 posts, read 8,055,706 times
I don't think there are any truly valid stats anywhere. If you go through the DOL, they're only providing "unemployment" stats for people who are currently collecting unemployment, not for everyone who is actually out of work.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM

341 posts, read 105,891 times
Hmmm...maybe I can think of another random city to place this poll in. I will steer clear of Detroit and Cleveland..those are obvious....what other cities could I poll? Hmmm...

Oh..and I realize this poll cannot be COMPLETELY accurate.....but I'm sure it's at least somewhat close. Maybe 15% instead? Not sure...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,778,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post

Oh..and I realize this poll cannot be COMPLETELY accurate.....but I'm sure it's at least somewhat close. Maybe 15% instead? Not sure...
It's not AT ALL accurate. To be statistically robust, there must be NO bias: you already have one enormous factor that produces bias, because you're ONLY sampling a small part of the population. ONLY people with internet access and knowledge are being asked, and only that tiny subset who are City-Data members.

A statistician would toss these data into the garbage.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:10 PM

106 posts, read 258,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It's not AT ALL accurate. To be statistically robust, there must be NO bias: you already have one enormous factor that produces bias, because you're ONLY sampling a small part of the population. ONLY people with internet access and knowledge are being asked, and only that tiny subset who are City-Data members.

A statistician would toss these data into the garbage.
okay, we see that you're a hard core ny'er fan and are a tad sensitive about the calculation of this poll. face it... the city is hurting and this post shows it perfectly.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,778,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
okay, we see that you're a hard core ny'er fan and are a tad sensitive about the calculation of this poll. face it... the city is hurting and this post shows it perfectly.
Your assumption is misguided and incorrect. I only wanted to point out that statistical methods weren't applied in any way shape or form to this 'poll' and that there is NO validity to the data, nor can any conclusions be drawn from them.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 PM

3,420 posts, read 3,282,891 times
Nice. I wish everyone's polls were as well thought-out as yours.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 PM

106 posts, read 258,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Your assumption is misguided and incorrect. I only wanted to point out that statistical methods weren't applied in any way shape or form to this 'poll' and that there is NO validity to the data, nor can any conclusions be drawn from them.
you're right -- my assumption is misguided. probably because i lost my job in nyc and was forced to move elsewhere. i know many are still employed and unaffected by the economy in the city... but that doesn't change my pov. i'm actually glad i left. the further i am away from wall street, the better. hopefully the new and improved nyc won't be filled with greed and bribery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City