U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,878 times

Advertisements

Hello Marissa

Your success in new york city depends on what part of new york city you want to come. The Metropolitan New York has 5 boroughs and the most lucrative of them is Manhattan. Though bars in Queens has its advantage of being patronized by the affluent and it's quiet, its not as fast, dynamic and open-ended as Manhattan.
Generally businesses have a lot to offer new comers like you in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM

341 posts, read 99,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaInMichigan View Post
And my hunch is that NYC has a stronger, more resilent economy than Chic or Texas.
You'd be surprised. But I think this is one of those learning experiences that you have to try for yourself. Make your mistakes...live...and learn.

PS. This might just be a personal coincidence, but all of my loved ones who are living in Houston/Dallas have good jobs..and most of them do NOT even have a degree! (Unfair right?)...and then out of all my friends here in NYC and Los Angeles...about half of them have taken a slam jobwise ..and amazingly..MOST of them have degrees. Kind of warped right? I'm beginning to wonder if the red states really are better off right now than some of us blue states.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM

3,330 posts, read 3,182,141 times
If you went to one of the major colleges in Michigan, chances are that they may have a local NYC branch of the alumni club. Check with them, too.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM

35 posts, read 47,054 times
Nyc3- I'm not sure how to take what you're saying. I'm from metro "Detoilet" (a.k.a. suburban Detroit). I have a bachelor's in psych and paralegal certification, both from a good school with a good reputation. I will never be some cornfed, vacant transplant who lives off of money via Western Union transfers from mommy and daddy. I'm not from Westchester... I know what it's like to work my butt off to pay my own way through college and graduate with NO debt. So what if I can't find a good job in my field the minute I step off the train there? I'm going to be living on the cheap- in Brooklyn with two roommates, a $550 a month rent and with a pretty grounded mindset. I can turn into a nightlife queen and celebrate AFTER I have come to the conclusion I can survive and thrive there. This is what the most successful Manhattanites I know have advised me to do. Avoid the distractions and the "scene" as a newcomer I'm told because it can become your undoing if you become too unfocused. Too many of these kids want everything right away, too fast... and from what I can tell, there are a lot of spoiled young rich kids living off their parents in Manhattan. You reap what you sow. All I know is NYC MUST be right for me because I've been totally obsessed with moving there ever since I came for Thanksgiving weekend back in 1995. I love the fact that I can be twenty people all at once and somehow it's normal. That you are surrounded by people who are trying their best to make a go of it just like you... and you can use that energy to channel yourself if you just try hard enough. So what if I don't get a good paralegal job right away? I'm also a writer, a server and bartender, an animal lover who is happy walking around Central Park with peoples' dogs, an interior designer and a million other things. Maybe I'll get something published or a company started up and I won't even be thinking about the paralegal job anymore. I just hope you stay strong and have faith. These aren't easy times for any of us... but they can be a bit more tolerable if you just alter your mindset and open yourself to new possibilities. Who knows? It may just be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,768,863 times
Quote:
All right everybody, I am posting again to let you know I just started crying. And I NEVER cry. NYC has my heart... and has always been my dream. Can anyone say something to give me some hope?
Move here without the job, then job hunt. you'll get a job if you are competent, there are not nearly enough competent people out there. If you are a notch above competent and are actually a good career paralegal, you will do really well.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,768,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
You'd be surprised. But I think this is one of those learning experiences that you have to try for yourself. Make your mistakes...live...and learn.

PS. This might just be a personal coincidence, but all of my loved ones who are living in Houston/Dallas have good jobs..and most of them do NOT even have a degree! (Unfair right?)...and then out of all my friends here in NYC and Los Angeles...about half of them have taken a slam jobwise ..and amazingly..MOST of them have degrees. Kind of warped right? I'm beginning to wonder if the red states really are better off right now than some of us blue states.
Texas is a great place to move right now, no disagreement there, but nyc is still nyc. What I mean by that is there is amazing, tremendous opportunity here.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Nyc3- I'm not sure how to take what you're saying. I'm from metro "Detoilet" (a.k.a. suburban Detroit). I have a bachelor's in psych and paralegal certification, both from a good school with a good reputation. I will never be some cornfed, vacant transplant who lives off of money via Western Union transfers from mommy and daddy. I'm not from Westchester... I know what it's like to work my butt off to pay my own way through college and graduate with NO debt. So what if I can't find a good job in my field the minute I step off the train there? I'm going to be living on the cheap- in Brooklyn with two roommates, a $550 a month rent and with a pretty grounded mindset. I can turn into a nightlife queen and celebrate AFTER I have come to the conclusion I can survive and thrive there. This is what the most successful Manhattanites I know have advised me to do. Avoid the distractions and the "scene" as a newcomer I'm told because it can become your undoing if you become too unfocused. Too many of these kids want everything right away, too fast... and from what I can tell, there are a lot of spoiled young rich kids living off their parents in Manhattan. You reap what you sow. All I know is NYC MUST be right for me because I've been totally obsessed with moving there ever since I came for Thanksgiving weekend back in 1995. I love the fact that I can be twenty people all at once and somehow it's normal. That you are surrounded by people who are trying their best to make a go of it just like you... and you can use that energy to channel yourself if you just try hard enough. So what if I don't get a good paralegal job right away? I'm also a writer, a server and bartender, an animal lover who is happy walking around Central Park with peoples' dogs, an interior designer and a million other things. Maybe I'll get something published or a company started up and I won't even be thinking about the paralegal job anymore. I just hope you stay strong and have faith. These aren't easy times for any of us... but they can be a bit more tolerable if you just alter your mindset and open yourself to new possibilities. Who knows? It may just be the best thing that ever happened to you.

LOL @ Detoilet. You're right. It depends on what makes you happy and what you are satisfied with at the moment. You DEFINITELY have the right mindset and show a lot of common sense...but this is not the norm for everyone. Some people may not consider it a success if they move to NYC and they have to take a bartending job that they could have taken back home...I know I would be upset if I came here with a great degree and drive...yet all I could get was a dog walking position. But if you're willing to wait things out and be patient...then you'll be fine.

If you are moving to the city for the culture...well that's totally different than your decision being completely financially based....because then, no matter what, you will ALWAYS be happy here..the culture, etc. will never vanish.

I did exactly what you did when I came here...except I started off in my own place....now I'm renting with my partner. I also didn't come here expecting a lot...but I was actually so thrilled that there was all of this opportunity...right now..not so much...but to anyone who has the right mindset, there will always be something.

I just hate to see people think that just because they come to NYC they are going to instantly get a job or make all of this money...esp. in this economy. The competitiveness is always here...and during this time, it's even higher. Your outlook, imo, will get you very far. But you have to understand...most people don't come here with that mentality...at least not some of us new graduates lol .

Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Texas is a great place to move right now, no disagreement there, but nyc is still nyc. What I mean by that is there is amazing, tremendous opportunity here.

Yeah, I'm peeved because my cousin, who is not much older than me and has NEVER been to college, just got a position in an office for 52k+ per year in Dallas. 52k per year is the equivalent (I did the math on this thru an MSN money link) to about 90k in NYC. I don't know about you, but that's DEFINITELY comfortable enough to live on in NYC. I don't know ANYONE that makes 90k as an adminstrative asst. in NYC that doesn't have a degree...and if they do exist..I'm sure they put in quite a few years in the company. I'm jealous! lol. But I have to take care of things here first.

Oh and here is the link I used...

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

It's very handy and frighteningly accurate. I have compared it to the cities I have lived in...and it's pretty much on the dot.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:05 PM

404 posts, read 856,707 times
Quote:

Hell Yeah. TOTALLY New York. THATS the depth, and openmindedness that sets us apart. You're gonna be fine.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM

35 posts, read 47,054 times
Thank you so much to all of you for lifting my spirits. I can't believe a message board full of strangers could actually do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City