Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM

35 posts, read 86,331 times

Advertisements

All right everybody, I am posting again to let you know I just started crying. And I NEVER cry. NYC has my heart... and has always been my dream. Can anyone say something to give me some hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaInMichigan View Post
Thanks nyc3 for your advice. I truly appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you are telling me. I should also note that I am in a situation where I can wait as long as I need to before I move (a luxury not many have I am grateful for). I would never fit in with Texans. Ever. From what I am gathering, it seems advisable to perhaps wait another year while saving more money. I am getting a bit depressed at the thought of another year in Michigan, but I suppose there are crueler things in life to go through.
Many people your age want to move to New York City (not some worthless second-rate place like Chicago or Texas), so your story is much too common.

Why People Still Want to Move to New York in Tough Times -A recent poll cities half of young Americans want to move to New York City-- New York Magazine

Before you attempt the move, I would suggest you staying with your friend in NYC and do a little job hunting because I wouldn't advise anyone to move anywhere without a job in this economy.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 PM

939 posts, read 3,384,972 times
Quote:
All right everybody, I am posting again to let you know I just started crying. And I NEVER cry. NYC has my heart... and has always been my dream. Can anyone say something to give me some hope?
Don't let anyone stop you from pursuing your dreams. Just come here with realistic expectations. Try to have 3-6 months worth of living expenses before you make the move. Be open minded about your employment opportunities. You can do anything from being a part time nanny for a wealthy family to waiting tables. As others have said it won't be easy but you may get lucky. Worst case scenario is that you run out of money and you buy a bus ticket to go back to Detroit.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 PM

341 posts, read 452,085 times
Quote:
Thanks nyc3 for your advice. I truly appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you are telling me. I should also note that I am in a situation where I can wait as long as I need to before I move (a luxury not many have I am grateful for). I would never fit in with Texans. Ever. From what I am gathering, it seems advisable to perhaps wait another year while saving more money. I am getting a bit depressed at the thought of another year in Michigan, but I suppose there are crueler things in life to go through.

Oh well if you have time to save then that makes things a bit different. If you save enough to sustain yourself for a solid 6 months over here (2-3k a month) then you will have a lot more cushion and a lot more time/chances to find a stable job. So while it will be hard...that definitely changes things.

I know how you feel...the thought of being in NYC for that much longer isn't appealing to me...unfortunately I must finish college...so I'm trying to make the most of it.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks everybody for all of the insight... I appreciate all of your help and comments very much.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,103 times
I definitely understand what you are going through in Detroit. I faced a similar situation in my hometown of Buffalo.

That being said, you might as well go for it, but I agree with iGlenn about having several months of living expenses saved up because it could take quite a while in this economy to land a job, even in a restaurant. You will have opportunities to interview - probably more than you would in Detroit - but you'll be up against a lot of competitors, many with more experience.

You have a big advantage having a friend in Queens who will rent to you cheaply. Note that you will not be able to land a job without living here first. That just won't happen.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 AM

F430F1- you are so right. I get tired of friends and family telling me I should go to Chicago or Texas instead. To me they are the same thing as Detroit in the sense that they are flyover areas. Anyone who says Chicago is the "3rd coast" makes me laugh. And my hunch is that NYC has a stronger, more resilent economy than Chic or Texas. It's more diversified in terms of industries than either of these places and has a more diversified/educated population. I don't want to live anywhere that people still put "Buy American" bumper stickers on their rusty Dodge pickup trucks. They are about 25 years behind the times.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,803 times
So, marissa, what do you have to lose???? You're young, and dreaming of coming to NY. Why would you then go to a different city? Out of fear that you might not get a job? People are soooo funny sometimes. You ask for advice moviing to new york and they start pushing their own agendas. If your dream is to come here, than DO it. It was mine too and I dont regret it for a second. Ive been through it. Feel free to send a message if you want advice.

adam

Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM

120 posts, read 438,631 times
Just do it. If all else fails, move back.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,387 times
Whoah, whoah. I have yet to see someone in Chicago put a "Buy American" bumper sticker on a rusty Dodge pickup truck. If anything, there are way more foreign vehicles in much of Chicagoland than there are domestic esp. compared to Michigan. But I do have to agree that diversity is sometimes lacking in the predominantly Caucasian, yuppie areas of Chicago, and the culture can come off as being more Midwestern, and less ethnic than NYC (obviously). I'm just saying, let's not make Chicago out to be a farm town to these sophisticated New Yorkers & Tri-Staters, lol.

Quote:
F430F1- you are so right. I get tired of friends and family telling me I should go to Chicago or Texas instead. To me they are the same thing as Detroit in the sense that they are flyover areas. Anyone who says Chicago is the "3rd coast" makes me laugh. And my hunch is that NYC has a stronger, more resilent economy than Chic or Texas. It's more diversified in terms of industries than either of these places and has a more diversified/educated population. I don't want to live anywhere that people still put "Buy American" bumper stickers on their rusty Dodge pickup trucks. They are about 25 years behind the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City