U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 10,074 times
Question Moving to Staten Island - Train Noise?

My husband and I have found a house that we would like to make an offer on, but we were concerned with the proximity to the SIRT, it is approximately 1 block away..does anyone have experience living near the train? Is it loud/bothersome? What time at night does it stop running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM

40,060 posts, read 19,366,010 times
My father grew up in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, about four blocks from the Broadway el (today we know it as the J train). He used to say that the sound of the passing trains was something you got so used to, the only time you felt bothered was if the train wasn't coming by regularly. And SIRT makes a lot less noise than an elevated line. I think you'll be just fine.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:49 PM

6,514 posts, read 11,038,852 times
I live 2 blocks from the el (2) and I wish I could hear it more ! Absolutely love the sound of the el.The only time I can hear it is in the middle of the night when my bedroom windows are open. I guess during the day and in the evening the sound is drowned out by everything else.It never wakes me up.I only here it if I am awake for some other reason.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 10,074 times
I've been living near the 'el' for the last 10 years, and I do not find it pleasant at all....

I went there last night and just listened...the train on SI is quieter due to the fact that it is NOT elevated and all the sound is absorbed to the ground.

Thanks though!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 AM

559 posts, read 487,422 times
I live in Staten Island. Where are you moving from? If you tell me where you are lookinf, I can tell you what I know.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM

559 posts, read 487,422 times
Also, just to mention, Staten Island has a HUGE prescription drug abuse problem. I would worry more about the people hanging around the stations then the noise. For example, Eltingville train station is known for the problem there. So is the Annadale train station. Again, if I can be of any help, just ask. I will tell you what I know from living here.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM

56 posts, read 160,747 times
I lived 1 block from station & it wasnt that bad at all.train was quiet but the bells were loud, heard them everytime the doors opened.You do learn to tune it out after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City