Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I guess that the new rich immigrants have bought up the ghetto trouble makers to keep them fed and drugged inside the bland house so the streets are very clear of ghetto animals as one would expect to encounter in many other project areas....lol

I have always been impressed by how calm the bland house seems, which defies the stereotype I had on nyha houses.
It is not just bland housing projects, I have been to other housing projects that appear the same way. The whole corner boy mentality in which people sell drugs near by (which made it dangerous) is really 1990's. There been a lot of cleaning up of NYCHA when they were required to pay for exclusive police service near NYCHA building. They have strict policy on public disturbance in the area and selling drugs near the projects.

There is still trouble in South Bronx and Eastern Brooklyn areas, which will get cleaned up once the influx of money goes into the area. It why poor minorities complain of gentrification in which the police only show up when affluent people start living in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:19 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Pomonok is a lot bigger than the Bland. You can get lost in there. The Bland is in a high pedestrian area and a lot easier to find your way out of.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Pomonok is a lot bigger than the Bland. You can get lost in there. The Bland is in a high pedestrian area and a lot easier to find your way out of.
Yes Pomonok is huge & more spread out than most. They had very nice 3 story buildings with nice courtyards & very nice play areas. Never lived there but lived up the block & most of my friends did live there. In the 70's I used to walk through Pomonok to go to Jib Lanes to bowl.

You absolutely can get lost in there.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:20 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Sometime last year (I believe in 2014), there was another C-D--New York City thread about Flushing and various persons said that all the apartment buildings lining Colden St. from Geranium Ave. past 45th Ave. and up to Elder Ave. (all being across from the Kissena Corridor Park) had gotten rather "ghetto-like" and "unsafe". That is, behavior patterns more typical of the projects like gangs, some killings, drug dealing, et al.

I hadn't been to that area in many years (decades) and it used to be just fine. If I recall properly, all those apartment buildings along Colden St. were (at least at that time decades ago) under the auspices or management of the Lefrak Organization. So what have they become since then? Buildings mostly reserved for Section 8 people? And who runs them? I don't know.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Sometime last year (I believe in 2014), there was another C-D--New York City thread about Flushing and various persons said that all the apartment buildings lining Colden St. from Geranium Ave. past 45th Ave. and up to Elder Ave. (all being across from the Kissena Corridor Park) had gotten rather "ghetto-like" and "unsafe". That is, behavior patterns more typical of the projects like gangs, some killings, drug dealing, et al.

I hadn't been to that area in many years (decades) and it used to be just fine. If I recall properly, all those apartment buildings along Colden St. were (at least at that time decades ago) under the auspices or management of the Lefrak Organization. So what have they become since then? Buildings mostly reserved for Section 8 people? And who runs them? I don't know.
A concentration camp of pakistanis, Indians and other southern Asians. Some of the kids there just like to act/look tough but they are not. They are not that dangerous but very annoying. They get scared more easily than those hardcore ghetto animals.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
A concentration camp of pakistanis, Indians and other southern Asians. Some of the kids there just like to act/look tough but they are not. They are not that dangerous but very annoying. They get scared more easily than those hardcore ghetto animals.

In that other thread from 2014, I think I recall that it was said that an elder Chinese man was jumped and killed in the area by an group of youths. I haven't tried to re-look up that old C-D thread but, if my memory serves me correctly (which it may or may not), I think I remember it being said that they were black and/or Hispanic youths. Yet you say that area is very much a concentration of "Pakistanis, Indians and other southern Asians". Though the youths (whoever they were) could have just been passing through the area or lived in the vicinity but not necessarily along Colden St.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City