U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM

40,060 posts, read 19,125,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
How about Herald Sq? As bad as Times?
For sheer numbers of people, they're close. I suspect there are probably more people at Times Square than Herald, simply because more subway lines cross there. (Herald Square is also accessible to PATH, and Times Square to Port Authority--neither of which does anything to decrease the numbers of people at the subway stations!)

Actually (and I tell you this as a former conductor) what I would recommend is that you base your transfers on the lines you need, and forget about the crowds. So long as you're talking about either midtown or downtown Manhattan, you're not going to avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM

731 posts, read 1,239,411 times
You're better off taking the (B) to 34th St since the transfer is much easier than that at 42nd St-Port Authority (where you must walk a full block to the (R) line).

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM

4,633 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Taking the B to 34th and transfering to the R/W is really the Quickest way....

You'll just have to learn to deal with the crowds...NYC is a very Crowded City.. .

Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

763 posts, read 966,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Taking the B to 34th and transfering to the R/W is really the Quickest way....

You'll just have to learn to deal with the crowds...NYC is a very Crowded City.. .
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Oh, I don't mind the crowds at all; I'm just trying to plan for the shortest trip.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM

If your trip is from 86 Street down to 28, how about this: the #1 train would take you from 86 and Broadway to 28 and 7 Avenue. And you wouldn't have to make any transfers at all.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 AM

4,633 posts, read 4,498,256 times
That's probably still slower then the B/R/W combo....because he have to walk to b'way and then walk from 7th back to bway that's along trek....Then the 1 is local the whole trip. The B is atleast Exp from 59th to 34th.

To the OP learn the subways....

from 86th Take the B/C whatever comes 1st - B take it all the way to 34...If the C comes 1st take it to 59 and then wait for the B/D on the same platform then take either one of those to 34th for the R/W....This is how you maximize your time in the subway and its the quickest because your always moving.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
To the OP learn the subways....
I'm glad that you made this remark. When I was a conductor, I always wondered why people didn't take more time to learn the system they use on a daily basis. And I confess in writing: I got awfully tired of answering questions such as, "Does this train stop at 23rd Street?" (If the map says it doesn't, then I wasn't likely to give a different answer!)

What you do is, get a map (they're free!) and study the various lines. I know, I know--people are allergic to maps. But let's be fair: if you can trace the colored lines, you can get around New York by subway. And don't be afraid to make transfers, either. The key is to be on a train that's moving (as opposed to standing on a platform and waiting for one single train, to the exclusion of the rest of the system).

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 AM

731 posts, read 1,239,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If your trip is from 86 Street down to 28, how about this: the #1 train would take you from 86 and Broadway to 28 and 7 Avenue. And you wouldn't have to make any transfers at all.
That's actually better. Although you have to do some walking, you're taking a very frequent line that goes near your destination. Remember, the B and R lines aren't too frequent or consistent.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
That's actually better. Although you have to do some walking, you're taking a very frequent line that goes near your destination. Remember, the B and R lines aren't too frequent or consistent.
Actually, it's not even all that much walking; just a couple of avenue blocks from Central Park West to Broadway, and then from 7 to 6 Avenue once the train gets to 28 Street.

I'm not going to comment on the frequency or consistency parts of your comment--although I will say that the #1 line does run trains more frequently. Before I took the promotion to tower operator, the last line I worked as a conductor was the B, which runs pretty well. (I never liked the R, but only because it's local all the way from Forest Hills to Bay Ridge. If you're only taking it for a small portion of the whole run, it's not so awful).

Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM

213 posts, read 629,498 times
I hate working the R too. I live right by 95th street and when I work the R I can walk to work , but I'd still take any line out of Stillwell even with the time involved to drive over there and finding parking to avoid working that line. Local all the way and no daylight. Those 46's aren't being maintained all that well either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City