Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times

Advertisements

They're quite easy to get into. And I might as well pay for a CSU here than another states' state school that isn't that amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
They're quite easy to get into. And I might as well pay for a CSU here than another states' state school that isn't that amazing.
Macaulay Honors College -

Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 AM

341 posts, read 452,085 times
Hey Jessemh431. If you think you hate Los Angeles..wait until you get here lol. JK. But seriously..SF, NYC, Chicago? I think you just hate living @ home. I was the same way until I moved out. I realized that it wasn't so much the city I was in, but the fact that my parents were quite overbearing.
I think your parents argument is silly. I want to suggest, though, that you not worry about whether or not a university is boring. You're there to get a college education, not to party. If you were wanting to go for some easy degree like dance, psychology, communications, journalism (etc.)..you know, the likes...then I would say you can probably fit in quite a bit of partying and still pass with reasonable grades.

If you're truly intent on Biology and then medical school, Colombia, Fordham, and NYU are your best bets. OR, just finish your Biology with a high GPA @ any city/state college, whether it's here or back home, etc. I'm not impressed with the college systems, or educational systems @ that, out here. YES, there are the very prestigious schools and they are great..but it seems like the quality is quite poor for the other colleges considering all the money you are paying.

I'd find an affordable 4 year college then worry about transferring to med school.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
No. It's the city. I love urbanness. If LA was urban, I'd stay here. I want good PT and tons of multi-family brownstones or condos with highrises. LA is a sea of continuous SFRs.

I'm not that big of a partier, but I enjoy walking around a vibrant, bustling area.

And scatman, IDK anything about the CUNYs really. Which is the best one?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,196 times
From what I understand, waaaay back, the CUNY system was totally free but pretty hard to get into/prestigious.

Then, around the 70s? I guess, they started an open enrollment system and the rep really went downhill.

However, I think CUNY is on the way up again...some of the schools are better than others, I suppose. You should be able to find out more about college ranking, quality of life etc on some web sites or books.

NYU's rep was not that great when I went to grad school, but it is now considered a very good school, esp the Film School, School of Business, Law, Medicine, etc, as far as I know.

Look up the NYU, Columbia, etc websites to get a feel for the schools. BTW, Columbia is considered a much more sketchy area than NYU, which is in the West/Greenwich Village and much more centralized/downtown. In West Village (very historic/beautiful), near SoHo, East Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, Wall Street, etc. Plenty of culture, nightlife, you name it.

Also, do you want to live in a dorm or off campus? NYU and Columbia have expanded their "turf" quite a lot, and I know NYU has tons of dorms, which probably would help your transition. Fordham has on campus housing...I've been on the campus once and it seems very "well protected." When you get outside the gates, you're pretty much in the deep Bronx which can be quite a culture shock. The NYU area, however, would probably suit the typical student just fine. Lots of students come from other parts of the country or other countries. Great internship, community service, study abroad, and other opportunities.

If your grades are good you can apply for scholarships--NYU tuition is sky high. CUNY is much cheaper of course.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM

37,116 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Elvira's right--CUNY's have a fairly illustrious history for a public system, but it took a bit of a dive after the 70s. They seem to be building their way back up though, and a lot of their programs are nothing to scoff at.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:58 PM

33,992 posts, read 47,230,787 times
i think part of CUNY's downfall in the '70s is due to NYC's fiscal crisis during that time.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
The problem in the 70s was the institution of the open admission plan. That's when they found that the new freshman students couldn't even read at a seventh grade level. I remember when it happened, because City College used to be incredibly well thought of and it really tumbled.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM

37,116 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Yea, using college as catch-up time is probably a really bad decision.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The problem in the 70s was the institution of the open admission plan. That's when they found that the new freshman students couldn't even read at a seventh grade level. I remember when it happened, because City College used to be incredibly well thought of and it really tumbled.
This statement is not really true, at least when it came to the 4 year Senior Colleges like City College. In order to be considered for admission to the Senior Colleges a student had to have at least a B average. They also had to have the required 4 years of HS English and the other requirements.

A student cannot graduate fom HS and read at a seventh grade level. Not even at that time. Some students did require remedial courses and were able to take them at the 4 year colleges if required after admissions test. Not all students needed them. If a student couldn't keep up their academic average they were dismissed after the first year. This was true at that time, as well as in the present time.

The 2 year community colleges were different. There wasn't any minimum requirements, there still aren't because a person can take remedial courses at a 2 year community college. However the same rules still apply, a student must keep up their academic average, or they will be dismissed.

Whenever someone states anything about open admission in this negative light, a few facts should also be stated. They should also admit that in the case of City College, and Lehman College in particular, they had heavy populations of students from Washington Heights, Inwood, from all over the Bronx. These students were usually the children of European immigrants that were professionals in their former countries, that came to America, sometimes just to escape religious persecution. Even if they didn't achieve the same levels in American society, that they left behind in their former countries, they had the knowledge to assist their children to achieve it.

These children of immigrants were able to move up and out of these neighborhoods, the neighborhoods remained, replaced by new migrants from the southern states, the Carribean, and Latin America. Most of these being people of color. People that mostly came from agricultural societies. People that did not have the level of education as the European immigrants, or for some Europeans that lacked formal education, probably still had skills that allowed them to make it in an industrialized city. They were not able to assist their children through school as easily because of this lack in their own educations. Lack of education creates lack of opportunities, for various reasons.

The students that go to City College and Lehman College come from these neighborhoods that I just listed, and still do for the most part. The City could not just let the buildings stand there on campus empty. The City went through a lot of changes not all good from 1970 - 1995. Since this time things have improved, and students are graduating from these neighborhoods with better public school educations. Neighborhoods are more economically diverse than before. As a result these Senior colleges have been able to tighten their admission standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City