U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
 
4 posts, read 67,800 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

I am on boost mobile right now, and I am always having problems. Dropped calls, late text or not receiving at all, no service at times. Someone told me to try metro pcs. Does anyone have the service here and if so do you have any complaints. It it worth the switch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 7,942,852 times
Reputation: 3931
I would be careful, especially if they want you to sign a contract. MetroPCS is a new company ---- I remember just a couple of months ago, they saturated the subways with their billboards, etc. to drum up business. And make sure you don't have any early termination fees with Boost before you change providers.

I have Verizon Wireless and have never had a dropped call or any problems at all. I have 4 lines on my account and I'm only paying around $115/mo. I don't have texting (I don't text) and I only have 750 shared anytime minutes (and free mobile to mobile). I never get close to my minutes because almost everyone I know has Verizon so it's free for us to call each other. They have a lot of plans, though, and you can probably find all that info on their site. www.verizonwireless.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Upstate Manhattan
185 posts, read 415,258 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I would be careful, especially if they want you to sign a contract. MetroPCS is a new company ---- I remember just a couple of months ago, they saturated the subways with their billboards, etc. to drum up business. And make sure you don't have any early termination fees with Boost before you change providers.

I have Verizon Wireless and have never had a dropped call or any problems at all. I have 4 lines on my account and I'm only paying around $115/mo. I don't have texting (I don't text) and I only have 750 shared anytime minutes (and free mobile to mobile). I never get close to my minutes because almost everyone I know has Verizon so it's free for us to call each other. They have a lot of plans, though, and you can probably find all that info on their site. www.verizonwireless.com
they are new perhaps here in ny, but they have been around in other places like Florida, my coworker used them a couple of years ago. She said service was ok when they had it, not spectacular, sometimes the service was sketchy. I do have a friend who uses them here in the city and is pleased so far though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,916 posts, read 5,373,310 times
Reputation: 524
Verizon is the only service I've used that I've never had any problems with. MetroPCS is good down south, not excellent, but a lot of people use it, but I just can't imagine that they have set up enough lines to really be a good service up here yet..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 PM
 
341 posts, read 522,449 times
Reputation: 161
I used MetroPCS while in Cali. Seems it was difficult during peak times like between 5-7pm for calls as well as texting. Many times I'd receive a call or text or Email after 6:45 pm when it was sent at @ 5:15ish! About 90 minutes later!

I've also noticed that Metro phones have batteries with a very short energy life. It dies out quickly before you have to recharge again. My guess is it's because all calls and texts are free. They don't want you gabbing and texting all day on their dime.

Now contrast that with those carriers that will charge 20 cents a minute. They have batteries that will last days on end. All the better to drive up the tab.

Yea, these cell phone companies aren't stupid. They've got it all figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 7,942,852 times
Reputation: 3931
I had Sprint before I had Verizon and they were horrible! I was literally counting the days until my contract was up. Very bad service, constant dropped calls, could rarely get a good signal, etc. One day, I had to go to NJ and --- lo and behold --- I had PERFECT service! Even in the tunnel on the train going over. Go figure.

I would never go back to Sprint, though, and I seriously doubt I will ever leave Verizon. My next Verizon addition is going to be the $199 mini laptop (you pay $40/mo on it for internet --- guess I'll be ditching my home internet and saving some money there, too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
 
346 posts, read 803,011 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl143 View Post
I am on boost mobile right now, and I am always having problems. Dropped calls, late text or not receiving at all, no service at times. Someone told me to try metro pcs. Does anyone have the service here and if so do you have any complaints. It it worth the switch?
MetroPCS, unlike Boost Mobile or Alltel, operate on their own network where as the other two operated on other company's networks until they were acquired by Sprint and Verizon respectively. That said the network that they have is much smaller than the stables (Sprint/Nextel, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile) networks, and I'd avoid it due to the financial instablity of new network systems these days. It was hard enough for virtual network companies like Boost Mobile to survive, and I honestly don't see a future for MetroPCS if they keep their profit margins that low (they can't expand the network quickly without going into debt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM
 
3 posts, read 41,153 times
Reputation: 33
i too was very curious about metro pcs. so i did as much research as i possibly could--there was and still is very little about it, at least about service in the five boroughs; i tried holding off until there was more consensus about service, and finally just made the plunge and decided to be a guinea pig b/c i needed a phone. so here's the deal after having it for two months:
*there's no contract, and the first month's free. unlike the bigger companies that require a contract, you must purchase your phone out right. if you get a cheap phone like i did (~$50 on sale) you can write it off as that first month of free service (at least to yourself).
*so far, i don't have any complaints about the service. after several years with verizon, i find the occurence of interruptions, etc. to be about the same with metro pcs, (same goes for the sound quality). btw, i live in queens and work in manhattan. also, the voice mail automation seems identical with that of verizon (has lead me to believe that metro pcs might use verizon's infrastructure for its sevice).
*check into the company's limits (no service outside of certain areas, no calls out of the 48 contiguous and PR, etc) and if none of that will drastically affect you (e.g. you're family doesn't live in Hawaii), than i'd recommend this service by all means, as afterall, if you're not satisfied, you can cancel without penalty.
*it's just a cheap company. to compete with the big guys, they offer the cut-throat deals, and to afford them (or b/c they're still smaller), they have very minimal customer service. in fact, that's obviously the biggest complaint people have. so if you just stick with the same plan, month after month, and pay the same way every time on time, you should be fine. but doing anything that requires interaction with the customer support can be twice as tedious as it should be.

let me know if that helps. tried to be informative yet brief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: NYC
304 posts, read 823,401 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I had Sprint before I had Verizon and they were horrible! I was literally counting the days until my contract was up.
I think that's the NYC default mode.

I "resisted" Verizon on dumb principle -- i.e. that they'd become the Telcom That Ate New York. So, over time, I tried every non-Verizon contract provider -- except for AT&T -- including some that have since disappeared via mergers, etc.
Sprint was the last, and weirdest: not just dropped calls, but no reception when facing certain directions (even in a room), or near or in certain buildings, or on one _side_ of a street. [Sprint's peculiarities even led to the term "Sprint dance" -- describing users' hopping and phone-tilting as they tried to improve, or get, reception.]
I canceled Sprint less than a week after signing up, switched to Verizon, and have had no problems since.

Note: I never got AT&T because a friend of mine has worked for AT&T for years and has an AT&T phone. His service tends to crumble at odd times/places (especially outside of major metro areas), at which point he curses out AT&T and relies on someone else's non-AT&T phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 PM
 
4 posts, read 67,800 times
Reputation: 36
thank you that was very helpful, I was wondering why you switched from verizon though, did it become to costly. My problem is that I am on a low budget but need a phone. I was just trying to figure out which way to go.



Quote:
Originally Posted by aloe1 View Post
i too was very curious about metro pcs. so i did as much research as i possibly could--there was and still is very little about it, at least about service in the five boroughs; i tried holding off until there was more consensus about service, and finally just made the plunge and decided to be a guinea pig b/c i needed a phone. so here's the deal after having it for two months:
*there's no contract, and the first month's free. unlike the bigger companies that require a contract, you must purchase your phone out right. if you get a cheap phone like i did (~$50 on sale) you can write it off as that first month of free service (at least to yourself).
*so far, i don't have any complaints about the service. after several years with verizon, i find the occurence of interruptions, etc. to be about the same with metro pcs, (same goes for the sound quality). btw, i live in queens and work in manhattan. also, the voice mail automation seems identical with that of verizon (has lead me to believe that metro pcs might use verizon's infrastructure for its sevice).
*check into the company's limits (no service outside of certain areas, no calls out of the 48 contiguous and PR, etc) and if none of that will drastically affect you (e.g. you're family doesn't live in Hawaii), than i'd recommend this service by all means, as afterall, if you're not satisfied, you can cancel without penalty.
*it's just a cheap company. to compete with the big guys, they offer the cut-throat deals, and to afford them (or b/c they're still smaller), they have very minimal customer service. in fact, that's obviously the biggest complaint people have. so if you just stick with the same plan, month after month, and pay the same way every time on time, you should be fine. but doing anything that requires interaction with the customer support can be twice as tedious as it should be.

let me know if that helps. tried to be informative yet brief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top