U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM

13 posts, read 25,670 times

Advertisements

My daughter is looking for a room, studio or 1 bedroom to rent or sublet. She has always lived with me and her father, but we are divorcing and will be moving out of our home. My daughter is on disability, so she has a very limited income. She gives me a check for every week and pays her share of the cell phone. We have called many R.E. agents and they all say that she does not make enough money, so they will not show her any places. I have an excellent credit rating and would co-sign on a lease, but I am not working, so they say no places are available in her price range. Is there an agency or something/someone who can help her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,083,786 times
If she is on disability, can't Social Services help her find a place?

There's no way she's going to get a decent apartment in a good area on a disability check & how are you going to be a co-signer if you're not working and have no income? Is it possible for her to live in a group home setting?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 AM

2,900 posts, read 4,804,857 times
Max amount for disability is $2K per month, and I'd wager that she receives considerably less. Take a look at Craig's list, the most least fair apartment in a minimally decent neighborhood is at least $1k per month. Due the math, its not really feasible for her; unless, public housing or apply for a Section 8 rent subsidy is something you would consider.

Public Housing is NOT the way to go, but if she can qualify for Section 8, then all you need is to find a landlord who will accept the subsidy. How old is your daughter, and what's her social life like? She *might* just the type of *good* Section 8 tenant, those landlords seek, but have a hard time finding.

Don't know which is the specific agency for Section 8, but that agency will have a "list" of apartments/LLs. Seems like that's the best thing for BOTH of you.

Luck!

Oh, and perhaps a "roommate" situation would be a possibility. Though, I guess it may depend upon her disability and what a potential roommate could handle.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 AM

6,669 posts, read 11,643,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendosha View Post
My daughter is looking for a room, studio or 1 bedroom to rent or sublet. She has always lived with me and her father, but we are divorcing and will be moving out of our home. My daughter is on disability, so she has a very limited income. She gives me a check for every week and pays her share of the cell phone. We have called many R.E. agents and they all say that she does not make enough money, so they will not show her any places. I have an excellent credit rating and would co-sign on a lease, but I am not working, so they say no places are available in her price range. Is there an agency or something/someone who can help her.
Where are you going to ? Where is the father going to ?

Is there some reason why your disabled daughter can't continue to live with you wherever you are going and pay part of your rent?

If her only income is from disability why would she/you be looking for a place in the most expensive city in the country ? Her disability check will always be the same and will go a lot further someplace outside of NYC.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM

6,637 posts, read 8,392,467 times
Your best bet is Craigslist and/or a roommate situation. I would avoid Social Services (they will put her in a public housing project where she'll be "eaten alive", and even then will probably be on a wait list for months or longer) except possibly for Section 8, a landlord may like the fact that she will be "non threatening" and through you a stable rent payer.

Or since you're not working, unless you have some other tie, relocating someplace cheaper may be the answer, it doesn't have to be a complete out-of-town relocation, maybe like 50 miles out of the city or something. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM

304 posts, read 837,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Public Housing is NOT the way to go, but if she can qualify for Section 8, then all you need is to find a landlord who will accept the subsidy. How old is your daughter, and what's her social life like? She *might* just the type of *good* Section 8 tenant, those landlords seek, but have a hard time finding.

Don't know which is the specific agency for Section 8, but that agency will have a "list" of apartments/LLs.
NYC has two Section 8 programs:
-- One is administered by the NYC Housing Authority. That's not the way she wants to go, since it means "public housing" (and is limited to emergency applicants anyway -- domestic violence, shelter folks and the like).
-- The other program is administered by the state's division of housing & community renewal (DHCR); info and local contact are at
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

However, it is _not_ easy to get Section 8; the application process is no piece of cake; you can then wait almost-forever; and if/when you do get a voucher, you have to tromp around looking at Section-8-approved properties. And though these meet Section 8's guidelines, not all are appropriate for a single disabled woman (in terms of location, "atmospherics," transit and shopping accessibility, etc.).

BUT FRANKLY ... I wouldn’t rush this as if it were rental-as-usual: She’s disabled, on a limited-fixed income, and has never lived on her own. Regardless of what her disability is, she’s probably used to having her parents (a) cut her some slack re: bill-paying, (b) run interference in varied ways, and (c) share expenses or pay for “extras,” so that she's not confined to her own limited income.
If she fouls up on her own, the results might be disastrous -- though they’d be survivable for an able-bodied person with more life experience, more options, an expandable income, or nearby family/friends.

So instead of jumping into rentals, I’d seek advice from disability organizations that might offer other suggestions or point me toward housing or "share" options. These include
-- those listed on NYC’s disabilities-resources site, at
Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities - Home
-- the Disabilities Network of NYC (an activist/advocacy group run by and for the disabled), at
Disabilities Network of New York City

I’d also consider having her move _with_ me, and then heavily prepping her for “independent life” and seeking out housing nearby.

Though she can’t be Mom-dependent forever, you have to do it in a way that’ll work -- so that she’ll be secure, and you won’t have to deal with out-of-the-blue emergencies.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM

910 posts, read 1,873,660 times
I agree, I would apply for section 8 and since she's disabled, she SHOULD have a good chance. However, I suggest that she move upstate, LI, Conn, etc... away from the city because she could just go to a Project-based(not housing projects) Section 8 program and if they have vacancies, she could immediately be offered housing. In the city, it would be a challenge. Good Luck..PM me with questions, I've worked in the Section 8 industry and can answer most questions.

Last edited by latikeriii; 05-28-2009 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City