Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 AM

10 posts, read 35,935 times

Advertisements

Hi and good morning everyone, Im new to this site and only here for some info and in need of it so much. would greatly appreciate all the advice. Im a single mother with section 8 voucher, i use to work as hha (private) but my patient passed on to her next life. I live in the Bronx but im looking to move to Manhattan so i can work for this agency that works sensitively with my schedule (Single parent), we are living in bad times and i don't want to work someone where my kids are in another borough and will take me some time to get to them in an emergency,
I would like some section 8 landlords numbers or management info if possible, I need to work asap and i also need to move to where that work will be asap, I have section 8 voucher and tried to find listings of rentals on line but the broker fee is a bit too much *$1400-$1700* I have to pay first month rent and utilities i cant afford that money in one shot, so please any info for section 8 apts in Manhattan, where there are schools (public and middle schools) .. Thanks kindly, looking forward to the replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 05:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
If you end up finding a Manhattan LL that will accept a $1,400-$1,700 section 8 voucher for 2+ bedrooms (since you said you have kids), please let us know! It would be quite the achievement and deserving of praise. At this point, people in your shoes are having trouble finding a LL to accept them at that rent in the Bronx!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Yes very true, where i live now, is a one bedroom and my current rent is $1462.62 (east bronx) near fordham road, its way too much, I just wish i was still working but im not trying to give the brokers or landlords so much of my money when their current residents for (10+) years dont pay that much. The building i live in was built 1910, I feel the landlord is ripping me off, now im out of work, I applied for Public assistance to help with rent and they pay only $150 for me, Im really frustrated was hoping to get out this borough and go back to harlem where there are jobs and more convenient living (schools, milbank,ymca,+other) since im from harlem. I sure miss harlem.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Maybe naïve.
Can you consider using the voucher for NYCHA?

If so, then this might be useful.
Section 8 Voucher Holder Portal - NYCHA

I have no idea of the time frames for getting in but the voucher might get you priority.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I would also consider transferring the voucher to another city/state, where there may be more opportunities, better schools for your kids, better people, better environment, safety, etc. I see going to harlem as more of the same...except it will be more expensive than the Bronx.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 AM

I thought of Nycha these are my options:

Development Name
344 E. 28TH ST. - Manhattan
AMSTERDAM ADDITION - Manhattan
BAYCHESTER - Bronx
BOULEVARD - Brooklyn
BUSHWICK - Brooklyn
CASTLE HILL - Bronx
DREW HAMILTON - Manhattan
FREDERICK E. SAMUEL APTS -Manhattan
INDEPENDENCE TOWERS -Brooklyn
LINDEN -Brooklyn
MANHATTANVILLE -Manhattan
MARBLE HILL -Bronx
MARLBORO -Brooklyn
RUTGERS -Manhattan
WISE TOWERS -Manhattan

And after looking through my options, i got on here and seen most of these places are not a good place to live. I hear most of them are not far from eachother, I also read that some are good but wasnt sure if it was still something i should risk, I know you dont have to pay utilities which is great! but the kiddies need to be in a safer place. Its crime everywhere but the Projects whoo, something i must really really think about, in the 90's i lived on 115 and lenox, right across from the pojects, them kids were bad as hell lol

I also thought about relocating to another state but new york is all i know, Im not afraid to go or anything like that, I have many options here to better myself, .. Im in acting classes 3x a week and its located in 34 and 8ave, I also model but its freelance work for the time being till i can promote myself more. There is no place like Manhattan/Harlem

Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Is there some kind of private section 8 registry for landlords?
Not a bad idea.

You might try perusing www.section8landlord.net

Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 AM

I wish i knew, Thanks for the link will go there now.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
You're most likely able to find Section 8 landlords for Upper Manhattan, particularly Inwood and Washington Heights and to a lesser degree Harlem.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM

268 posts, read 340,591 times
Is Section 8 popular these days or what's going on? Sobro Guy said it would be hard to get a place so how many people actually qualify for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery