Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 111,660 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I have a NYCHA section 8 voucher and I applyed to one of NYCHA buildings which is Marlboro houses. I applyed on April 23rd 2009 and I recieved a notice on April 29th 2009 saying that I was approve for a two bedroom apartment and I will be notified when an apartment becomes available. I wanted to know if anyone knows maybe how long that wait will be? And if there is anything that I can do to speed up that process or a number I can call to find out how long that wait will be. I called Marlboro management and they do not know anything. Any help please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 18,906 times
Default Speeding up section 8

I was living in an illegal basement apartment and had applied for housing 4 years prior to moving there. A woeker from an agency new of a photographer in th NY Daily News who was doing an article on housing issues in NY. A photo and article of me & my disabled son was posted in the news. What really got the ball rolling was going to Mart Markowitz office. The secretary called the housing office & wanted to know why they were taking so long. I received a notice in the mail the following week to come in & view the apartment that was vacant in the building I had applieed for.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 AM

Who is Mark Markowitz?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:58 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Martin Markowitz is the Brooklyn Borough President.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 AM

Oh wow, I hope they call me pretty quick. Waiting 4 years is a pretty long time and I'm in need now.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,440 times
My experience with housing has been absolutely horrible.... I applied when I was pregnant with my daughter NEVER CONTACTED!!!! Re-applied when SHE WAS IN SCHOOL.........CONTACTED BECAUSE I WROTE THE MAYOR AND THE CHAIRPERSON OF NYCHA A LITTLE NASTY LETTER.... Waited another 5yrs to get an interview, another 8mths to tell me I was ELIGIBLE... WITH THE HELP OF MORE NASTY LETTERS TO THE SAME PEOPLE MENTIONED ABOVE finally received a list of apartment complexes to choose from now it's been almost 2mths and waiting for a call back from the complex I chose....

It's such a disappointment when someone WHO ACTUALLY NEEDS AN APARTMENT is either denied or is left waiting for years and years and years before they are even considered..... While some people who don't even want it or need it as badly get it IMMEDIATELY or from other family members.

How long am I going to wait?

Good Luck to You...

Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
sometimes it takes years, Its all about who you know. There are some crazy waiting lists for nycha.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:45 PM

341 posts, read 452,401 times
I think in the time that you spend waiting for income-based or gov't assisted housing, you could just find a decent deal somewhere else. There are many places in The Bronx and Queens for $900-1,100 per month. If you can't afford NYC...there's always Jersey as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 PM

9 posts, read 52,733 times
Default What's the wait time for a housing list?

My mom interviewed for nycha housing (senior housing complex, that it) last month. The interviewer told her they will send her a list (whatever that is) in about 3 months.

is that how long it takes - 3 months for a list of available developments?

Also, I've noticed they increased the maximum income for a single household (1 person) is $43K/yr.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM

172 posts, read 590,084 times
I had a family member on the "regular" nycha waiting list and it took at least 3 years before she even choose her development, once she choose her development(Lincoln) her paperwork just sat there even though they tell you the development has "anticipated vacancies"(whatever that means). however she also got a section 8 voucher and choose her development, (Samuel) in manhattan she was on two waiting list and in about 7 months she moved into Samuel with her section 8. so hopefully you wont be waiting too long but i guarentee it wont be as long a wait as if you were on the general waiting list. Lincoln never did reach her after 4 years......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery