Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 AM

27 posts, read 69,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
You obviously haven't spent much time in Jackson Heights or are xenophobic. The coolest part about living in JH is that IT IS, FACTUALLY, the most diverse community in the world, and all of its inhabitants peacefully coexist.

Some apartments in Jackson Heights have four or five bedrooms and cost $800,000.

If all you've done is take the train to Roosevelt Ave. and walk around, then you're going to see some crap. Why? Because it surrounds one of the city's busiest transit hubs. But walk a few blocks to where people live and it's beautiful.

If any of you ever want to check out Jackson Heights, hit me up. I'd be happy to show you around.
"The coolest part about living in JH is that IT IS, FACTUALLY, the most diverse community in the world..."

Hmmmm ? "Diverse & Cool... "

Yeah tell me how this effects average person's life in the area ? Rude, non-English speaking people selling junk on sidewalks, is that something that you call "cool". Pushy crowds ? Bug infested flats with curry smell permeating whole buildings for days ?
Great moron phrases from a Bloomberg "playbook", carefully scripted for Daily News consumers. Peacefully coexist ? Ok, so have you checked on ethnic crimes committed last year in that area ? How do they compare to other areas ? I would agree, its not Beirut yet, if you measure it by that standard. MS13 is well established in the area as well as other Central and South American gangs. Drug dealing ? Just Google, Colombian drug cartels in Jackson Heights.

"Some apartments in Jackson Heights have four or five bedrooms and cost $800,000..."

What is this has to do with quality of life ?
Bottom line is that immigrants from Asia come "loaded" with cash and purchase real estate to unload their extended family where few work 24/7 with elderly sucking food stamps out of the system. Its historical, basic matter of convenience for immigrants to settle in their "own" ghetto where business is conducted through its own community in mostly unsavory fashion of illegal employment, bribery, basic cheating of regulations, etc. The recent influx of immigrants has created a supply problem of real estate, it should be obvious for anyone with even the smallest IQ.

Roosevelt Ave ? Yeah, nice place to visit to see how far the American experiment went. Look Ma ! NO Gringos ! Guadalahara right in your own freaking backyard. Sad to say, I have traveled in Mexico and found their populated places are much more cheery than this grim immigrant outpost. Be careful crossing the streets due to wild gypsy cab drivers ready to hook you up with Jesus.

"Wildest transit Hub... ?"

Dirty subway line on top going all the way to Asian Super-Chinatown called Flushing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM

224 posts, read 672,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknew123 View Post
"The coolest part about living in JH is that IT IS, FACTUALLY, the most diverse community in the world..."

Hmmmm ? "Diverse & Cool... "

Yeah tell me how this effects average person's life in the area ? Rude, non-English speaking people selling junk on sidewalks, is that something that you call "cool". Pushy crowds ? Bug infested flats with curry smell permeating whole buildings for days ?
Great moron phrases from a Bloomberg "playbook", carefully scripted for Daily News consumers. Peacefully coexist ? Ok, so have you checked on ethnic crimes committed last year in that area ? How do they compare to other areas ? I would agree, its not Beirut yet, if you measure it by that standard. MS13 is well established in the area as well as other Central and South American gangs. Drug dealing ? Just Google, Colombian drug cartels in Jackson Heights.

"Some apartments in Jackson Heights have four or five bedrooms and cost $800,000..."

What is this has to do with quality of life ?
Bottom line is that immigrants from Asia come "loaded" with cash and purchase real estate to unload their extended family where few work 24/7 with elderly sucking food stamps out of the system. Its historical, basic matter of convenience for immigrants to settle in their "own" ghetto where business is conducted through its own community in mostly unsavory fashion of illegal employment, bribery, basic cheating of regulations, etc. The recent influx of immigrants has created a supply problem of real estate, it should be obvious for anyone with even the smallest IQ.

Roosevelt Ave ? Yeah, nice place to visit to see how far the American experiment went. Look Ma ! NO Gringos ! Guadalahara right in your own freaking backyard. Sad to say, I have traveled in Mexico and found their populated places are much more cheery than this grim immigrant outpost. Be careful crossing the streets due to wild gypsy cab drivers ready to hook you up with Jesus.

"Wildest transit Hub... ?"

Dirty subway line on top going all the way to Asian Super-Chinatown called Flushing.
I'd like to call you some not so nice words but I'm sure the moderator would get mad at me. Is xenophobe a bad word?

Let's be real.

1. How much time have you spent in Jackson Heights? Seriously. Judging by your answers--not much.

2. Forest Hills is full of immigrants, especially Russians and Eastern Europeans. Do you dislike them too or are they white enough to not offend your sensibilities?

My ex-girlfriend is from Jackson Heights. She went to Amherst College, which is harder to get into than Harvard. I went to a top private college in the Midwest. My friend, who just published a book, went to Dartmouth. We're all Jackson Heights people. We're also all white; two of us from immigrant backgrounds (Cuban and Argentine).

Again, if you go to the main street--Roosevelt Ave--it is dirty because it's a commercial avenue. It is packed with people. It is dirty. That's every major street in New York. Are you going to say Chelsea in Manhattan is a bad area because 8th Ave. is dirty? That's ludicrous.

Jackson Heights has gorgeous pre-war buildings. Most of their inhabitants--because you care so much--are, guess what, WHITE!!! I know doctors, lawyers, writers, musicians, etc., who all live there. If Jackson Heights is so bad, why are well-to-do, upwardly mobile people choosing to spend a lot of money to live there?

If the dirty immigrants pose such a problem and it's so gross there, why are many apartments luxurious, expensive and have super strict coop boards?

My wife's brother tried to get in one apartment last year. He makes $80,000 a year, is single, has no debt, and they turned him down because he didn't have enough money in the bank.

What did he do? He bought a place in Forest Hills, where many of the apartments say "no board approval" necessary.

You must work in real estate and want to disparage Jackson Heights because it's a market with which you compete. Because the stuff you are saying is ludicrous. In most urban environments, of course it's less desirable to live on the main road, under the train. In Astoria, is Ditmars not gross? Is Astoria Blvd. not gross? Is Main St. in Flushing not gross? How about Hillside Ave., right next to Jamaica Estates where everyone is a millionaire (Donald Trump grew up there).

You don't judge a neighborhood by it's one commercial strip. People live two, three, four, five, six, etc. blocks from that strip where streets are tree-lined, people are friendly, there's a farmer's market every Saturday, etc.

Come on, be real. I bet you haven't spent much time in Jackson Heights aside from getting off the train there.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
Moderator cut: Not necessary

Let's be real.

1. How much time have you spent in Jackson Heights? Seriously. Judging by your answers--not much.

2. Forest Hills is full of immigrants, especially Russians and Eastern Europeans. Do you dislike them too or are they white enough to not offend your sensibilities?

My ex-girlfriend is from Jackson Heights. She went to Amherst College, which is harder to get into than Harvard. I went to a top private college in the Midwest. My friend, who just published a book, went to Dartmouth. We're all Jackson Heights people. We're also all white; two of us from immigrant backgrounds (Cuban and Argentine).

Again, if you go to the main street--Roosevelt Ave--it is dirty because it's a commercial avenue. It is packed with people. It is dirty. That's every major street in New York. Are you going to say Chelsea in Manhattan is a bad area because 8th Ave. is dirty? That's ludicrous.

Jackson Heights has gorgeous pre-war buildings. Most of their inhabitants--because you care so much--are, guess what, WHITE!!! I know doctors, lawyers, writers, musicians, etc., who all live there. If Jackson Heights is so bad, why are well-to-do, upwardly mobile people choosing to spend a lot of money to live there?

If the dirty immigrants pose such a problem and it's so gross there, why are many apartments luxurious, expensive and have super strict coop boards?

My wife's brother tried to get in one apartment last year. He makes $80,000 a year, is single, has no debt, and they turned him down because he didn't have enough money in the bank.

What did he do? He bought a place in Forest Hills, where many of the apartments say "no board approval" necessary.

Moderator cut: Not necessary In most urban environments, of course it's less desirable to live on the main road, under the train. In Astoria, is Ditmars not gross? Is Astoria Blvd. not gross? Is Main St. in Flushing not gross? How about Hillside Ave., right next to Jamaica Estates where everyone is a millionaire (Donald Trump grew up there).

You don't judge a neighborhood by it's one commercial strip. People live two, three, four, five, six, etc. blocks from that strip where streets are tree-lined, people are friendly, there's a farmer's market every Saturday, etc.

Come on, be real. Moderator cut: Not necessary
+1

Totally agree.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-15-2010 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 AM

112 posts, read 351,120 times
Forest Hills is not as nice as most would like you to believe. Yes, Forest Hills Gardens is gorgeous, but the homes there are in the multi-millions. The rest of FH consists of mostly co-ops, attached homes, and condo's that are incredibly tight and small. Most families cannot wait to move out of FH, especially when their children approach the age of attending school. Forest Hills HS is NOT by any stretch a good school, quite the opposite. The locally zoned junior and elementary schools are not very good either. In addition, there is a huge amount of immigrants who live in FH that come from various parts of the Soviet Union who are very clannish and unfriendly. In addition, there are no good restaurants, boutiques, or much else to do in the area.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 AM

154 posts, read 447,743 times
I can't believe people are comparing FH with JH?
Ive realized for sometime now that FH's as a neighborhood is changing..and for the worse for that matter... but to compare it to JH? that's just upsetting to me...

Everyone is talking about JH being this very diverse area, are you kidding me???
it's where all the illegal's comming from south american settle. The only thing diverse about JH is whether your columbiano, mexicano or ecourdian.

FH is way more CLASSY & WORLDY. PELEAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
When i think of JH, i think of like JUNCTION BLVD,,,all the cash/checking places.. all those stores selling calling cards to souther america... and all the UmpaLumpas running around under the 7th train!

Peleeeeeeeazzzzzzzzz..

Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM

224 posts, read 672,390 times
Uh, Junction Blvd is Corona, not Jackson Heights.

Go to 34th and 35th avenues between 72 street and 88 street. It's very pretty.

Jackson Heights is about 60 percent Hispanic, mostly from South American (Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, Ecuador), but also Central America and Mexico. A huge chunk of this Hispanic population is white and looks more European than Native.

Asians make up about 25%. In this figure, Indians are grouped with Koreans, two clearly different cultures. Chinese, Filipino, Thai, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Tibetan, etc.

As for the 15% or so non-Hispanic whites, most of them are either transplants who moved to the area from the Midwest and other places in the U.S. or the children of Italians, French, German, Yugoslavian, etc. people.

Forest Hills is like 70% Russian Jew. It's no secret people from this region of the world are generally unfriendly. Not saying they are bad or anything; they're just kind of, um, closed off from everything that doesn't fit what they know.

At the end of the day it's a matter of preference. The only argument I have is against the notion Jackson Heights isn't nice. That's just incredibly untrue. Both Forest Hills and Jackson Heights are good areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
Ive realized for sometime now that FH's as a neighborhood is changing..and for the worse for that matter... but to compare it to JH? that's just upsetting to me...

Everyone is talking about JH being this very diverse area, are you kidding me???
it's where all the illegal's comming from south american settle. The only thing diverse about JH is whether your columbiano, mexicano or ecourdian.

When i think of JH, i think of like JUNCTION BLVD,,,all the cash/checking places.. all those stores selling calling cards to souther america... and all the UmpaLumpas running around under the 7th train!

Peleeeeeeeazzzzzzzzz..

Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,235,739 times
I don't know much about JH, but my very good friend owns a coop in the historic district and it is lovely. It's a bit far for the subway for me, but I enjoy the peace and quiet when I visit.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,867,242 times
Forest Hills has a lot of Asian families aswell. I always see Chinese families around there when I walk through the neighborhood, even in Forest Hill Gardens.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,205 times
I lived in Jackson Heights for 16 years and NEVER had a problem! EVER! I lived 5 blockz to Roosevelt Avenue and the area did become "Little India" but there is nothing wrong with that. JH was the melting pot of NYS ... when we first moved there in Sept of 1990 (i'm from Romania) the neighborhood was predominately Hispanic & Russian. When I left in March of 2006 you did not walk by someone of the same nationality twice on the same block, there were Asians, Hispanics, Europeans, Middle Easterners... You name it I saw it. There are "bad" areas in EVERY neighborhood and i guarantee that more "drug transactions" and other such type criminal activities occur in a wealthy neighborhood such as "Forest Hills" because the people who live there have money to spend on every type of drug, designer or otherwise available to anyone. I hate to break it to you people but no matter where you go there will be problems, whether they are prevolent and always out in the open is anyone's guess. Don't be fooled by a "nice" looking neighborhood. I am proud to have grown up in Jackson Heights!!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,205 times
you must be a moron. You don't even know Jackson Heights!!! Your talking about Junction Blvd? Really is that all you know of Jackson Heights??? BTW that's really not even JH! Why don't you try learning your geography before you talk ish about someone's neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post

Peleeeeeeeazzzzzzzzz..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City