Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 67,952 times

Advertisements

Hi all- Ive been living and working in NYC for the past 5 years and am seriously considering moving into a 1 bed, 1 bath apt in Queens - neighborhoods that I like based on subway and overall location are Jackson Heights & Forest Hills. Suppose I get a 300K apartment - I am wondering what will be worth more down the road in order to make a profit from the sale. Forest Hills is a quieter area, Jackson Heights there are alot more things to do, so I'm thinking JH will be worth more. If I move to Forest Hills, do you think property will rise as well? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for the feedback! -rollnrock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,970,047 times
Don't buy according to which neighborhood you think will appreciate the most.Buy according to which neighborhood you would rather live in now.Owning a home is about your day to day life in the here and now,not about what it MIGHT be worth in the future.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,962,187 times
Jackson Heights has quiet areas, and Forest Hills has noisy areas too... it just depends on where you move. Base it on where you want to live, not the future cost.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 AM

82 posts, read 253,284 times
Condo or co-op? Certain parts of Forest Hills will probably never show significant depreciation, but at 300K you probably wont be looking for a detached house in Forest Hills Gardens. Check comparable sales for condominiums in both areas. FH is definitely a more "solid" neighborhood but that doesn't cut it as far as your research should go. I would say if you plan on living in the place for a long time, go with whichever neighborhood feels better to live in.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 AM

33,359 posts, read 46,784,531 times
trying to be the next donald trump?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,435,135 times
Who knows what's going to happen in the next 5-10 yrs with the economy. Development, amenities, and proximity to Manhattan should be considered when trying to figure out what a property might be worth down the line, but you also have to live there, So comfort is of most importance.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 PM

17 posts, read 39,245 times
Don't really know. I don't live there anymore but about 6 years ago we bought a coop in the historic area of Jackson Heights. In 4 years, it more than doubled in price. Of course, I think days of such appreciation might be over, but I still consider the area a hidden gem that many are willing to pay the price for. The quiet and calm and green of the area is something that I just couldn't find in Queens outside of Forest Hills and at a reasonable price...

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM

224 posts, read 672,435 times
I grew up in Jackson Heights, which is a much bigger area than Forest Hills. So it absolutely depends where in each neighborhood you would be living.

I personally wouldn't live in Jackson Heights again unless it were between 72 st and 78 st, between 37 ave and Northern Blvd. The historic area extends to 90 st but unless you're walking distance from the 74 st stop, your commute become a little bit more of a hassle. Also, the higher the street numbers go up, the less desirable the area becomes because you approach Corona, which isn't exactly nice.

Not that Jackson Heights is unsafe, but Forest Hills is much, much safer. There are also million-dollar hi-rise condos in the area, as well as the Gardens. There's more money in Forest Hills, and for that reason I'm sure your $300 K will go further in Jackson Heights.

But most importantly, it boils down to what you prefer. You're going to live there. People-wise, I prefer Jackson Heights. It's more diverse and dining options might be the best in the city. It's more working class/middle class with little to no pretension. People are down to earth.

Forest Hills is middle class/upper class/wealthy and mostly Russian and Eastern European Jews. There is diversity in Forest Hills, but it's still mostly this one group where as Jackson Heights has Indians, Colombians, Yuppies, Russians, Asians, etc. pretty well-balanced.

Schools-wise, Newtown is the zoned public high school for Jackson Heights. It is not a good school. The Garden School, a great private institution is there as well, however. Forest Hills High is significantly better than Newtown but not great either. Garden School's equivalent, The Kew Forest School, is there as well.

Grew up in Jackson Heights. Lived in Forest Hills for two years. Both nice areas. Market-wise, the Heights will get hot and popular much like how Park Slope did. I don't think Forest Hills will ever have that kind of appeal, but I think Forest Hills is the better long-term option.

Think of Jackson Heights as Park Slope and Forest Hills as Brooklyn Heights.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:19 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
There is plenty to do in Forest Hills. Check out Austin Street. I think Forest Hills is a much nicer area to live now Jackson Heights at this point in time.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM

41 posts, read 197,041 times
FOREST HILLS! by far. It's a much nicer area that attracts people with higher incomes. Jackson Heights is very sketchy to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City