U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,815 times

Advertisements

Hello. I don't think this topic belongs here, but the people on this forum is so nice and friendly, that I figured what the hell...

Anyway,
my story is this, I came to New York about one month ago on a tourist visa. I have a job, an apartment and a couple of friends here. When I arrived I had no plans of staying so I wasn't really knowledgeable about the immigration laws and such, but of course now I love this place so much that I don't wanna leave.
Basically what I'm wondering is, will I be thrown out when my visa expires? If I will, is there any way for me to stay?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,972,955 times
No, a lot of people overstay their visas and work under the counter. The main obstacle for you is that it will be difficult to find a good enough job that supports you in this area.

The other problem is, once you leave the USA it might be for a long while as customs will be quite unwilling to let you back into the country if they know you overstayed your visa.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 AM

Thanks for answering. No I won't overstay my visa, either I stay legally or I won't stay at all.

And what do you mean by "good enough job"? Do I need some kind of special education so there is "need" for me? Or is it based on the amount of money I make?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Then your options are quite limited. Unless you marry an American or have a couple hundred thousand dollars in the bank which you are willing to use to start a small business, then it is difficult to get legal papers to work here. The only other real option is to get a visa sponsored by a company.

What country are you from? If it is a non-english speaking country that will make things incredibly easier for you to find one of these jobs, because a lot of them require foreign language skills.

I mean't a good enough job to be able to afford the high cost of living in this area.

Also you should keep in mind that there might be some type of illegal immigrant amnesty coming up within a year or two. This would allow you to work in the USA after having paid a couple thousand dollars worth of fines.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
I'd recommend consulting an immigration attorney. If you overstay your visa, and do get caught, you forfeit your right to stay, and also forfeit your right to apply for re-entry.

Work visas are infrequently given from within the US--and are more often provided through application from your home country.

However, an employer can make an application for a visa, and if you qualify you may be granted permission to remain.

Just a few thoughts; nothing to say I am absolutely correct as it has been some years since I worked with immigration issues.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Yeah but in all honesty, how many people actually get caught? The INS is a joke. There are 20 million illegal Mexicans living in the USA.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM

I come from Norway, so I do speak Norwegian, Swedish and Danish.

I do infact have $150.000 in the bank. Could I use those to start a small business on just a tourist visa? What are my options then? Sorry if the questions are stupid, but as I said, I don't know anything on this subject as the laws are different in my country.

I will try to contact an immigration attorney, thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:56 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Having been an emmigrant myself (to Europe), who had to report to the Municipal Government each 3 months, although my partner worked for the Government, I am loathe to suggest or support illegal status retention. The forfeiture, if discovered, is greater than the inconvenience to apply for legal status.

Also, my sister-in-law, who also speaks Dutch, French, English, Spanish and German, and had a Fulbright fellowship overstayed her H1 visa, and was forced to return for months to Holland even though she was (a) married to an American, (b) had a good, and highly paid job and (c) sufficient money in the bank.

It's your choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu2us View Post
I come from Norway, so I do speak Norwegian, Swedish and Danish.

I do infact have $150.000 in the bank. Could I use those to start a small business on just a tourist visa? What are my options then? Sorry if the questions are stupid, but as I said, I don't know anything on this subject as the laws are different in my country.

I will try to contact an immigration attorney, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City