U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

176 posts, read 431,967 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Does anyone know where I can find an index of locations for these, on the internet?
I tried, and could not find a listing.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,769,702 times
Housing Works accepts donations of clothing at all their locations: Housing Works: Locations

Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM

304 posts, read 834,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know where I can find an index of locations for these, on the internet?
I tried, and could not find a listing.
Thanks.
I wouldn't use these boxes: A lot of them actually benefit for-profit companies. And, regardless: the contents can end up being vandalized instead of benefiting anyone.

Like Viralmd, I recommend Housing Works -- a terrific organization with many shops in Manhattan (plus one in Brooklyn Heights).
Unlike many secondhand/thrift places
(a) they accept virtually _anything_ useable,
(b) their shops are boutiquey-hip and tidy -- like "real" stores, instead of like junkpiles -- which makes people more inclined to shop there and benefit a good cause; and
(c) they resell items at reasonable prices (whereas many secondhand places either sell total junk or charge ripoff prices for higher-end stuff).

Housing Works even has a separate, nicely-atmospheric bookstore on Crosby Street (which gets big boxes of books from me each year). That's good to keep in mind, since virtually _no one_ accepts used books anymore: Public libraries want $ donations, not used books; and most thrift shops regard books as space-hoggers.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM

4,502 posts, read 8,051,718 times
Don't forget that many of the organizations that put those clothing drop boxes out there also don't re-sell the clothing as clothing. What many of them do is, they sell the clothing to recycling companies to recycle the material and the clothes get destroyed and recycled. I would never leave clothing in any drop box.

I agree with the above posters... a place like Housing Works is great.

You can also Freecycle the clothing to someone in need, which is what I do with all the clothing my daughter outgrows or with household items, toys, etc that I no longer use. www.freecycle.org

Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 AM

176 posts, read 431,967 times
Thank you, everyone.

(there was a lot I did not know about those boxes, as I can see now. thanks again for the heads up. I didn't know they did that)

I will use Housing works.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 AM

4,502 posts, read 8,051,718 times
I love the Housing Works thrift shop on 23rd Street. They always have amazing items and the prices are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City