U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 PM

89 posts, read 192,079 times

Advertisements

I always seem to ask the dumbest questions..........

How much change (in quarters) do drivers carry here........for parking meters? Living in KS I have honestly never had to pay for parking and always used plastic money. Now that I'm living in NYC I have to get used to idea of carrying real money as not everyone accepts credit cards. Counting change is a pain. I miss not being able to use my ATM check card as frequently as I would like to.

So just for parking purposes........how much change do you carry? What do you if you're short and on the spot? Where can you buy quarters right away?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,954,770 times
To be on the safe side, why not just keep a roll of quarters in your glove compartment? And refresh it each week so you know you'll always have enough. Very simple.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM

346 posts, read 804,237 times
Depends, where are you planning on driving to and how long do you anticipate parking there? The city's laws say that Parking meters can only be placed in front of commercial property, however the city, under Bloomberg's administration has pretty much put parking meters on all commercial streets, even if there isn't any property built in front of the meter, or a resident property that is officially considered to be of another street's (the property is on a corner, but its front door is on a residential street as opposed to the commercial one).

Currently the city is charging 25 cents per 20 minutes

Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 PM

89 posts, read 192,079 times
Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. 25 cents / 20 min. I'll remember that!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM

9,364 posts, read 15,763,688 times
I also keep a roll of quarters per car, for the odd times that I need to park at a meter, since I don't like to always park on the street. I also have a bucket in which I put quarters that accumulate and replenish from that as well. Generally, though, I keep $10-$15 in quarters in the car.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM

10,286 posts, read 18,526,994 times
whatever spare change i get i just throw it in the car....so i usually have about at least 5 bucks in quarters....but i hardly go places where i have to use a meter, and if i do i try my hardest to find free parking....i dont believe in paying to park.....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM

295 posts, read 966,131 times
Default change

Most parking meters take credit cards now. (Who has $9 in change?)

I keep about $3 in quarters in case the machine is broken...and the rate varies depending on where you park.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,214,538 times
You guys who keep change in the glove compartment or somewhere else in your car are at risk for getting it stolen when they break into your car.

I used to keep spare change in my ashtray($5.00+ in quarters,dimes,nickels) which has a lid on it so you can't tell from looking outside there is anything inside of it.

One night somebody broke into my van and took the ashtray with all of my spare change...,you can't leave anything of value inside your car,doesn't matter if it's hidden,they know where to look.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 AM

9,364 posts, read 15,763,688 times
I've actually been very fortunate not to have had a vehicle broken into or stolen, actually, though I have had one hit. Then again, I do park in a garage most of the time.

I don't keep my change in the glove box, either, even if locked, since it's easy to see someone opening it to get change for the meter. Moreover, as pointed out, many thieves would naturally look in the glove box, console, cup holder, etc. I keep a roll of quarters in a pocket of a tote bag or backpack that's in the trunk, and into which I put everything that's not bolted down when I leave the car at a meter or in an open lot for more than a couple of minutes. I even take my cell phone charger just in case someone wants to break in to steal it, and don't even leave an inexpensive rain jacket on the back seat in case someone thinks it's covering something of higher value.

I have used the parking card on the street, but wouldn't even think to stand on the street and use a credit or debit card in a meter. That's opening onseself up to a potential crime occurring, since an open bag or wallet on the street is not the most wise course of action, even in good neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City