Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM

125 posts, read 394,445 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with you NewYorkBorn. Im from the south born and raised I chose to leave and move to NYC and thats a decision that I dont regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There are a some things that could be done to ease the burden of owning property in the NYC metro area. Among others:

1) Exempting suburban homeowners who send kids to private schools from paying the public school portion of the property tax.
Does that mean that gay people, single people and senior citizens should be exempt from paying school taxes ?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Does that mean that gay people, single people and senior citizens should be exempt from paying school taxes ?
Just so you know: many single and gay people have children!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes! If they don't use the public school system. Nobody should be forced to pay for school if they don't use it.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-06-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Yes! If they don't use the public school system. Nobody should be forced to pay for school if they don't use it.
If this were a reality, the taxes for those who do use the public school system would be really, really high. Its not a feasible policy beyond some token rebate (maybe $250/year if you prove your child is going to private school).

Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
I've never had to utilize the services of NYPD or NYFD, so I guess I shouldn't have to pay for those, either .....

Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I've never had to utilize the services of NYPD or NYFD, so I guess I shouldn't have to pay for those, either .....
I wasn't talking about the NYPD and the NYFD, just the schools.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
What about the libraries or the parks?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
It's the same philosophy, though. Since I don't personally use "x," I shouldn't have to pay for it. Public schools, like police, fire, sanitation, etc., are for the good of the entire community, not just those who use them, and that's why everyone pays for them.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
But that is the point.
The burden of all of these government services is shared by everyone.You can't just decide willy nilly that one group doesn't have to pay for this or that because they don't use it or use it less.It is a social contract.

I assume that you went to private schools all your life because if not someone paid for your education.

As others have pointed out,why should anyone pay for any services if one group is exempted from one tax because of non use.This could apply not only to NYPD and NYFD but let's exempt anyone who doesn't use public transportation(all subsidized to some extent) from any portion of a tax that goes to transportation ?What about people who don't use parks?

Clearly,the concept of exempting any one group from any tax because of "non use " of the government supported service is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City