Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,198 times

Advertisements

My friend always says that renting is throwing away money. She suggests buying a condo/coop. From the replies I'm reading in this thread, it seems like the maintenance feex plus the payment maybe more than the cost of renting an apartment.

I do agree with those who say that timing is key. My familylived in a 4 family apt in park slope in the 70's. I wish they would have bought it. I'm sure it's worth probably a million by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
your friend is mis-informed. renting can be the better value . its all a question of if you dont buy a home what do you invest in instead.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. My wife and I are in a bind as to whether we want to buy a house or a coop in queens. We have a budget of about 500k, and we can pretty much buy any coop we want in queens with that price. The houses are of a slimmer picking. We currently live in a coop building which we both love but feel like would outgrow eventually. There is a huge 3 bedroom coop in our current building for sale which is bigger than most houses we saw. Is a coop a better investment than a single family house? We were thinking of purchasing a single family house somewhere near Forest Park.
private homes have typically appreciated more than co-ops but its more a life style choice.

do you want to be responsible for all your own maintaince and repairs? i know i dont so if anything i would prefer a co-op.

if i was going to be a snow bird i would not want a private home either.
co-ops can have issues so all is not golden but it really boils down to how much time or money you want to devote to your cost of housing.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-24-2012 at 03:42 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
do you want to be responsible for all your own maintaince and repairs? i know i dont so if anything i would prefer a co-op.
I'm in a co-op. I do small things around the house myself but leave the heavy-duty stuff to the professionals. I lived in a house growing up and I hated cleaning, raking leaves and shoveling snow. Now I don't have to rake or shovel (except to get my car out), and cleaning an entire apartment is much less work than cleaning an entire house. More time for me to enjoy my beer.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM

thats how i feel at this stage. i dont want to devote anytime to home maintaince. been there . done that and now that im getting ready to retire i dont want to worry about a thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
More time for me to enjoy my beer.
Time to learn how to brew!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Time to learn how to brew!
Where do you keep your equipment? I'm afraid I might not have the space....

Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm in a co-op. I do small things around the house myself but leave the heavy-duty stuff to the professionals. I lived in a house growing up and I hated cleaning, raking leaves and shoveling snow. Now I don't have to rake or shovel (except to get my car out), and cleaning an entire apartment is much less work than cleaning an entire house. More time for me to enjoy my beer.
You can do that with a house too. I pay people to rake the leaves, sometimes to shovel (if it's light my wife and I do it ourselves, if it's heavy someone will show up looking for cash for shoveling). Not really much different than in a condo, except I pay for that stuff ala carte instead of it being wrapped up in a maintenance fee. And the guys with the shovels show up a lot sooner than they did in the condo.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I pay people to rake the leaves, sometimes to shovel
Another bill....smh

Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
I personally have no interest in staying in the city when it comes to wanting to buy a house, for that my family will more than likely move to Chicago where it makes more sense and is much more affordable, but that doesn't mean home ownership is always the best idea.

Take Chicago for example, now is a good time to buy a house in that city, but when you look at past records of home sales during the housing boom you will see people bought places that were valued $200K+ than what they are now. So the best advice is long term home ownership if the value of the home isn't over inflated and an actual house is going to hold its value better than a condo will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City