Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 AM

23 posts, read 221,590 times

Advertisements

Ok great! Seriously thank you again! This is a huge help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Just a suggestion, If you'd like to get a little closer to your roots, particularly if you're Jewish, you might find Brighton Beach, which is called "Little Odessa" because of the huge number of immigrants from that city who migrated there beginning in the late 70s early 80s. Very ethnic. Lots of Russian restaurants and clubs. Its a very short subway ride to BC.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Just a suggestion, If you'd like to get a little closer to your roots, particularly if you're Jewish, you might find Brighton Beach, which is called "Little Odessa" because of the huge number of immigrants from that city who migrated there beginning in the late 70s early 80s. Very ethnic. Lots of Russian restaurants and clubs. Its a very short subway ride to BC.
Ah, really? What is the safety like there? I am a Russian Jew and feel a place like that would be ideal!! Though I have not considered living there since I dont know much about apartments/residential ect...

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 AM

Also wanted to inquire about any French immigrants or neighborhoods? My husband is French and I have no idea of any French culture in Brooklyn, pehaps he would like that or Brighton for myself!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
BC pro......
1. Great school; bang fort the buck
2. Plenty of transportation options
3. Great neighborhood, especially along Glenwood road or Ocean Avenue.
4. the Junction (Flatbush and Nostrand) is a commercial intersection with shops, banks, markets, etc.
5. Other great strips not too far from BC, like Avenue J, M, etc.

BC con
1. The Junction at night might have some characters hanging out
2. Although great neigborhood, choose your landlord wisely
3. Closest to French may be Haitian pop. some of which may speak more of creole than French.
4. BC's unfair rep because it's a CUNY school, although better than many think!
5. Junction can get crowed in the daytime.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks Scatman!

How far away from BC is the junction?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Brooklyn College is located just off the Junction (that's the intersection of Nostrand and Flatbush Avenues). Stay on the BC side of the Junction and you should be fine.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
If you are a Russian Jew and want to be around like people, then you may want to stay in Midwood or somewhere in Southern Brooklyn.

Brighton Beach, as someone mentioned, would be a good option- though it is a bit far from the city. I would recommend checking out Kensington if you want to be closer. It has more diversity, but also has a very large Russian/Eastern European Jewish population.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:14 AM

197 posts, read 895,245 times
Brighton Beach is a farther away from BC. Midwood is closest closely followed by Kensington. Midwood is also closer to Manhattan by both bus and subway then Brighton Beach. Brighton Beach is a nice neighborhood but it is on the south shore of Brooklyn so it can be a long drive to the city but it is right on the ocean.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:43 AM

I am a Russian Jew, but kind of loooking to stay away from a huge fellow Russian population. ha. Though it would be very nice to get on the train, and hop down for some Russian cuisine any day of the week. I would like to be easily able to ride down there if I wanted to, for dinner, or an event, something.

What do you guys thinks of Prospect Heights?

and another question. Any realtors or brokers to reccomend? craigslist seems to post ads for apt.s in neighborhoods that are not the neighborhood it says it is.. So currently I am speaking with rapidrealty to rent a place. Any advice on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City