U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM

841 posts, read 3,927,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine718 View Post
have any of yous been to bensonhurst lately? bath beach? dyker heights? gravesend? mill basin? i'll even throw in cobble hill? carrol gardens? the flatlands? these are all NEIGHBORHOODS in brooklyn that still have mob presence-they may not take care of the neighborhoods like they used too-but in these areas u still dont get mulli's doin drive byes-hittin inocent ppl.
yea the places have changed -but bensonhurst is still mostly italian.. sheepshead bay may have a russian presence but the home of the RED mafia is little odessa(brighton beach).

n no its got nothin to do with how we rasie our kids. i kno a guy whos uncle is a skipper-he let his oldest son get made. not his younger son tho. capi?

what it is is that the whole dynamic of organized crime has changed. they cant be doin what they do out in the open anymore. so no-your not gonna c joey boom bots n franky no legs hangin on the corner anymore. but u can bet your ass there still there. i can think of 4 places off the top of my head that are fronts on 18th ave in bensonhurst & bath beach alone.

bensonhurst is still approx-45-50% italian, only about 20% asian, 8% hispanic, 10% russian. the rest are mixed races n a touch of irish... oh and .2% black. <-not even half of a percent. bensonhurst, bath beach n dyker heights are areas that have barely changed. yea bensonhurst used to be 80% italian when i was groin up on 78th st n 19ave-but i cant think of a single neighborhood that beats it-till 2day-county wise staten has the most italians in the country-but no 1 NEIGHBORHOOD beats bensonhurst.

queens isnt that heavey. howard beach and ozone park had there time but now there both pretty mixed. morris park in the bx n the 180's n author ave area r still pretty old school-but the rest of it -might as well get nuked. bayside queens is ok. but its no brooklyn. staten island is where alota more well off italians went but the island is so tiny there arent any REAL neighborhoods. however there ARE made guys in tottenville, port richmond, victory blvd, todt hill, n great kills.

idk who tha f you guys r- but u must NOT b from around here to even think for a second that there is NO italian mob. especially in BK. i cant even believe my eyes. who the hell do u think does those crazy christmas decorations in bensonhurst n dyker heights? arabs? blacks? russians? jews? no its italians-n a good percent of em -especially if there livin in a mansion in dyker heights BK or a mansion in Staten Is-are better then well connected. so keep on flappin you lips bout **** u dont kno. i'd love to see any of you shmucks in my neighborhood, talkin this kinda B.S.

you ppl make me sick.
In NYC, I think every ethnicity have their own shady business going on. However, I've never heard of an Indian mafia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
No there is. They set off a bunch of bombs in Bombay maybe a decade back.

I don't think I've ever heard of an Indian mobsters in the USA though.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,073,975 times
Hey doot da doot why are you so in love with the mafia? They are still around, and more behind the scenes, however they are not even remotely as powerful as they used to be. The mafia back in the day was the only option for some people, but now every Italian American kid has the opportunity to have an honorable and comfortable job as a fireman, cop, plumber, electrician, or they can go to school and become a lawyer, doctor, banker, accountant, etc. Most Italians are not proud of the fact that the mafia represents our culture, but until the govt goes after bloods, crips and ms-13, I'll take the mafia any day. I think it is a disgrace that they go after these old timers who aren't as powerful as they used to be and do not harm innocent people. Also, Arthur Ave is a tourist spot, nobody really lives there anymore.

Hopefully the general Bensonhurst area stays somewhat Italian, considering the yuppie and hipster populations are slowly taking over neighborhoods in the outerboroughs. Few of these people are good people, but most dont give two s***s about Tony and Mickey out in Brooklyn who have 2 or 3 generations of roots in the neighborhood. Ethnic culture of any origin really adds a unique touch to this city as a whole. If people can drop the whole Sharpton stabbing thing and look at the bright side, they would realize the Italian-American culture provides great traditions and values second to none. In a city of 20-30 year olds that ditch their family in Wherever, USA for the glamor of NY, its nice to find people who have strong family values and stay close to home. Italian culture nice complement to the urban, hip culture in Manhattan that can be found in any other US city. Its nice to actually find a few 2 or 3 generation natives among 8 million people.

PS. Learn how to spell, this isnt myspace or AIM. People like you make all us Italian-Americans look like idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine718 View Post
have any of yous been to bensonhurst lately? bath beach? dyker heights? gravesend? mill basin? i'll even throw in cobble hill? carrol gardens? the flatlands? these are all NEIGHBORHOODS in brooklyn that still have mob presence-they may not take care of the neighborhoods like they used too-but in these areas u still dont get mulli's doin drive byes-hittin inocent ppl.
yea the places have changed -but bensonhurst is still mostly italian.. sheepshead bay may have a russian presence but the home of the RED mafia is little odessa(brighton beach).

n no its got nothin to do with how we rasie our kids. i kno a guy whos uncle is a skipper-he let his oldest son get made. not his younger son tho. capi?

what it is is that the whole dynamic of organized crime has changed. they cant be doin what they do out in the open anymore. so no-your not gonna c joey boom bots n franky no legs hangin on the corner anymore. but u can bet your ass there still there. i can think of 4 places off the top of my head that are fronts on 18th ave in bensonhurst & bath beach alone.

bensonhurst is still approx-45-50% italian, only about 20% asian, 8% hispanic, 10% russian. the rest are mixed races n a touch of irish... oh and .2% black. <-not even half of a percent. bensonhurst, bath beach n dyker heights are areas that have barely changed. yea bensonhurst used to be 80% italian when i was groin up on 78th st n 19ave-but i cant think of a single neighborhood that beats it-till 2day-county wise staten has the most italians in the country-but no 1 NEIGHBORHOOD beats bensonhurst.

queens isnt that heavey. howard beach and ozone park had there time but now there both pretty mixed. morris park in the bx n the 180's n author ave area r still pretty old school-but the rest of it -might as well get nuked. bayside queens is ok. but its no brooklyn. staten island is where alota more well off italians went but the island is so tiny there arent any REAL neighborhoods. however there ARE made guys in tottenville, port richmond, victory blvd, todt hill, n great kills.

idk who tha f you guys r- but u must NOT b from around here to even think for a second that there is NO italian mob. especially in BK. i cant even believe my eyes. who the hell do u think does those crazy christmas decorations in bensonhurst n dyker heights? arabs? blacks? russians? jews? no its italians-n a good percent of em -especially if there livin in a mansion in dyker heights BK or a mansion in Staten Is-are better then well connected. so keep on flappin you lips bout **** u dont kno. i'd love to see any of you shmucks in my neighborhood, talkin this kinda B.S.

you ppl make me sick.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM

718 posts, read 2,073,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpPastThree View Post
I don't know why, but I'm fascinated and maybe even a little enamored with the old-school italian/sicilian way of life. I like hearing about people who protect their family and who stick up for each other and respect their elders. Then, at the end of the day, go home to mama's pasta with a great sauce. Tradition was valued, nobody was a "poser," and people didn't really talk about business in public.

Isn't there anyplace like that left in America? Or is it all orange (laugh) guido's?
Yes there is a place like that. Its my house.

I don't know if you've read my posts, but this is why I get on here and voice my opinion against the excessive Manhattan sprawl into neighborhoods that don't need to be gentrified. Just trying to give the yuppie gentrifer or pioneering hipster to see the other side of the coin, what an ethnic neighborhood offers and why it should be preserved. Others can move in if they please but they should want to take part, not bring all their home boys from Ohio to change the joint into East Toledo.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 PM

803 posts, read 2,657,919 times
I thought the mob was all Russian & Chinese now, anyway....... go figure....

Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,336,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
In NYC, I think every ethnicity have their own shady business going on. However, I've never heard of an Indian mafia
AND PROBABLY YOU NEVER WILL, because, INDIANS from the country of India, place a very high value on education, and religion. They teach their children very high values, and the community looks out after the children, and make them responsible for their actions. And most of the immigration coming here from India is composed of: Doctors, engineers, and merchants. There is very little need to become a wise-guy.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
Here you go: Indian mafia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
AND PROBABLY YOU NEVER WILL, because, INDIANS from the country of India, place a very high value on education, and religion. They teach their children very high values, and the community looks out after the children, and make them responsible for their actions. And most of the immigration coming here from India is composed of: Doctors, engineers, and merchants. There is very little need to become a wise-guy.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 PM

50 posts, read 172,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
There is an India Mafia on the West Coast. They are called the Punjabi Mafia. They mainly run drugs up from Mexico into Vancouver/Calgary through use of transport companies and truck stops they own on major highways.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
There will always be organized crime. But nowadays it's ran in tighter circles and doesn't have to with what neighborhood your in as much as where in that neighborhood. Heroin, cocaine, diamonds, guns, these are the black market products with the highest profit margins making them the most illicit on both sides of the coin, in the street and in the courts. In New York City specifically, there are many rackets and many mobs, unlike many places in the world. However where these guns & drugs come from all branch off from a main stem. The Heroin racket is mainly controlled by Russians in New York City, the French Connection from Turkey to France to UK to US is still where most of this country's heroin comes from. Cocaine though has changed in the recent years, where it was mostly coming in from Miami being produced in Colombia. Where it is true most of the world's cocaine is made in Colombia, nowadays the Mexicans control that racket, especially here in NYC. So to sum this up in point, it's not really about the neighborhood, yes there is hotspot neighborhoods where there are known to be a lot of Russian Mobsters (Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Parsons blvd Queens) and Mexican mobsters (Corona, Jackson Heights) and Italian mobsters (Malba, Whitestone, Sheepshead Bay, Morris Park) but that doesn't really give you the picture because in all those neighborhoods the mob presence is VERY low, almost non existent on an eye witness level, you can run into a connected man in the supermarket and obviously not know it, everything is now kept on the hush.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM

33 posts, read 24,223 times
the ole italiano mafiosa is gone but there is the new generation same with the irish westies. I would say NJ is where most are now. as far as the jewish Try Florida they are all retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City