U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2007, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,728 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am thinking of moving to NYC and giving it a go there. I'm from Europe. My country is eligible for a Visa waiver program, which means I can stay for 3 months in NYC as long as I buy a two way plane ticket. What I want to know is: once there, is is possible to find a job and get a work Visa to become legal? I have 3 months to do so.

I am single, 29 and work as a translator. Since I speak several languages I think it gives me a chance of finding a decent job, but working as a waiter in a cafe is fine too. I'd draw the line at washing dishes all day...

I just want to know if it is at all possible or if I should try and get a student Visa instead. I just don't feel like going through the hassle of being interviewed in the embassy, signing up for a course in NYC, paying tons of money and then not getting the papers.

I am particularly interested in non US people who want to share their experiences. I would probably stay in Brooklyn, since rent is cheaper and 500 dollar bedrooms are available. I keep checking the job ads here and there seems to be so many opportunities for writing related jobs - translation, editor, etc.

Thanks for your time and ignore typos! This is a rush thing!

Nosferatu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,930,743 times
I don't think the Visa Waiver program has "dual intent," in terms of coming to the USA and then applying for some type of work visa. I am not sure about this though. Someone else will have to chime in to give you some specifics.

If you are interested in just waiting tables, then it would be quite easy to come to the USA with the visa waiver, and overstay the visa. Immigration (INS, or whatever it is called now) is currently very lax on illegal immigrants.

If, however, you want to do this in a 100% legitimate manner then I suggest you look into having a company sponsor your visa before coming to the USA. Many companies are looking for workers with foreign language skills that most Americans lack. Look at craigslist.org for jobs in the NYC area and see if you can find one advertising for a job that requires foreign language skills.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 AM

567 posts, read 612,243 times
You need to leave the country and return (go to Montreal perhaps) once you have found the employer sponsor for your work visa. You can nest that ticket inside of your VWP 3-month ticket.

E.g.: LHR-JFK Day 1
JFK-YUL Day 60
YUL-JFK Day 61 (enter under new work visa)
JFK-LHR Day 90

Then return again with an employee visa, or extend that last ticket to a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City