Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my family and I were nearly killed by 2 idiots racing in BMW's through heavy traffic on the Belt Parkway. Just missed clipping my bumper while making a pass..on the right..with inches to spare. Every time I drive on this road, there is a flipped over car or a near accident in plain site. I didn't see a single cop or State Trooper the entire length.

Has anyone else experienced how dangerous this highway is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Indeed, I have experienced that on the Belt Parkway, and also the Cross Island. Neither of those roads was designed for the traffic volumes that they now carry at normal speeds, though there have been improvements over the years.

I do not understand why people drive on those roads as if they have watched " The Fast and the Furious" one too many times. Roads designated as parkways are definitely not speedways for pseudo racers with powerful stock or modified vehicles to drive at triple-digit speeds.

Strict enforcement and heavier penalties should be imposed for racing, since there are race tracks for such purposes.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
What is even worse are those motorcycle punks who ride in packs,weave in and out of lanes,do wheelies,etc. They come out in full force when the weather gets warm.

You might not see marked police cars out there but there are unmarked units,Impalas, Tahoes, or Chargers on the Belt Pkwy.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Indeed, I have experienced that on the Belt Parkway, and also the Cross Island. Neither of those roads was designed for the traffic volumes that they now carry at normal speeds, though there have been improvements over the years.
One of my favorite pieces of roadway "engineering" is the extreme curly-q ramp from the Cross Island Parkway south to the Southern State Parkway east. That monstrosity must have more than its share of accidents!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 PM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
The Belt is a mess. Terrible traffiic plus too many jerks think it's a nascar track.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times
I use the Belt Parkway everyday to go to work and yes indeed. There should be more traffic reinforcement.
Same with Southern State parkway

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM

196 posts, read 779,474 times
I use the Belt Parkway daily also and sometimes I want to hang myself .Between the traffic and the idiot drivers,it really gets to you.I see a couple of traffic enforcements out there but are not enough.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM

48 posts, read 159,203 times
Drive down the West Side Highway on a weekend night's morning say 5AM... wow it's crazy... you really risk your life.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Some day if you feel the need for even more adventure than you get on the Belt, turn off at Exit 7 and take a drive up Ocean Parkway. Although it is not a "parkway" in the sense of "highway," that's the way people drive on it. (Traffic lights at each corner? Hah! Fuhgeddaboudit! You take your life in your hands every time you try to cross the street. And trust me--I live in Midwood and I know all about Ocean Parkway).

Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_72 View Post
Drive down the West Side Highway on a weekend night's morning say 5AM... wow it's crazy... you really risk your life.
Very true, especially the stretch below the GWB to W57th St where it becomes 12th Avenue. I have been passed on the right when traveling in the center lane as though I was standing still by cars easily approaching 90. Northbound is also pretty interesting, but a tad longer, to the Henry Hudson Bridge with the curves and then the where one can sometimes see the aftermath of cleared crashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City