U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 PM

52 posts, read 168,045 times

Advertisements

Has anyone actually lived in one of these? I found a great apartment in a great location, but it's in a 5th floor walk up. Do you get used to it or is it always a pain? I'm especially worried about moving in and coming home after a long day and having to trek up all those stairs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 04:51 PM

823 posts, read 2,735,310 times
I lived in a 4th floor walkup. I didn't have kids then. It was fine and we'd go sit on the roof sometimes.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:32 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,617,990 times
my mom (who is from Manhattan) tells me that those kinds of buildings probably haven't done renovations and are old and dirty.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:35 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,618,358 times
When I was 20 years old--I lived in a 6th Floor walk-up in the West Village. It seemed like a piece of cake.

Now, I'm not ready to walk six extra steps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
Has anyone actually lived in one of these? I found a great apartment in a great location, but it's in a 5th floor walk up. Do you get used to it or is it always a pain? I'm especially worried about moving in and coming home after a long day and having to trek up all those stairs...

Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,519,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
my mom (who is from Manhattan) tells me that those kinds of buildings probably haven't done renovations and are old and dirty.
This is SO NOT TRUE! There are some really nice apartments in these buildings with real character!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:55 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,075,131 times
You learn and adjust yourself...

-Its good exercise
-you plan your going out carefully, so not to make many trips
-limit your shopping to only a couple of bags
-no dogs to walk

I remember doing it as a kid and it wasn't so bad but now? Although I could certainl use the exercise.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM

4,773 posts, read 9,682,262 times
I've never lived in a walk-up, but I have always lived on the 4th floor of the buildings I've rented in (simply by coincidence) and I hardly ever use the elevator, opting for the stairs instead. I need the exercise and why waste energy on a lift? That seems to be enough motivation most times.

Moving in will suck though, and if you do large amounts of laundry at once it will be annoying too.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's not neccesarily true. It's just that for some reason some buildings weren't built with elevators. Depending on how big the building is sometimes it isn't possible to have an elevator in there. The buidling I used to live in for instance was pretty small, it only had two apartments on each floor.

I lived in a 5th floor walkup. It was fine for the most part. Moving is a hassle but outside of that you get used to it.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 PM

137 posts, read 711,196 times
You can adjust, but I don't think I'd do it again. If you go for it get your groceries delivered. Freshdirect saved me.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 AM

7,511 posts, read 8,081,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
I would love to live in a fifth-floor walk up. And I wouldn't reduce my quantity of shopping either...I'd get so much exercise and be so thinner living in that kind of setting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City