Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:23 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I mostly agree with this post. It is much more expensive to live in the nice to decent parts of Jersey City than all of the Bronx, all of Queens (even nice parts), all of Staten Island, and most of Brooklyn (aside from P. Slope, Heights, Cobble Hill and the such).

Any NYer (especially from the outer boroughs!) that snubs their nose at Jersey City has no clue of the affluence and amount of money that has funneled into the city (Hoboken too, for that matter) in recent years.

Many of my neighbors in my gorgeous brownstone neighborhood are from NYC originally, and many of them tell me they like it better in JC Really cannot beat a 7 minute commute to WTC, or 15 minute commute to midtown.
Tommyc we get it bud you love Jersey City. Not everbody is gonna like it and many will still call it a dump/slum etc etc. So my question is this... Who cares?? If people call it a dump then let them, why do you care so much? In fact I wish more people would still call it a dump that way the downtown area wouldnt be filled with your so called "affluent" Jcrew characters that think they're in Manhattan. Also im really convinced your a real estate agent or something of that nature, did you really say "my gorgeous brownstone neighborhood"?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
I wish more people would still call it a dump that way the downtown area wouldnt be filled with your so called "affluent" Jcrew characters that think they're in Manhattan.
Amen..............
The Downtown/Waterfront set in Jersey City (who are largely made up of transplants, NYC transplants included) are the "6th borough" culprits.
Ask someone "up the hill" in Jersey City if they are the "6th borough" of NYC & report back with their response.
I love JC's progress, just not the mind frame that has come along with it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Tommyc we get it bud you love Jersey City. Not everbody is gonna like it and many will still call it a dump/slum etc etc. So my question is this... Who cares?? If people call it a dump then let them, why do you care so much? In fact I wish more people would still call it a dump that way the downtown area wouldnt be filled with your so called "affluent" Jcrew characters that think they're in Manhattan. Also im really convinced your a real estate agent or something of that nature, did you really say "my gorgeous brownstone neighborhood"?
Haha, I'm not a real estate agent. Yes, I did say my gorgeous brownstone neighborhood. It is gorgeous. It's called having pride in one's neighborhood. NOT having pride in one's neighborhood is how the rest of Jersey City fell apart in the first place. I know you'd rather it that way though. I'll never get it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM

47 posts, read 168,185 times
Quote:
So you are saying the majority of Queens has more of an urban appearance than the majority of Jersey City? Clearly you haven't crossed the Hudson in a while. Drive on the West Side Highway and look out over the Hudson at JC...it's skyline is bigger than Philly's and Boston's. Where is the urbanity in Queens? Astoria and LIC, and then it tends to get pretty suburban after that. I'm talking about landscape and housing stock. Not how many stadiums or how diverse it is I can show you diversity in suburbs.
I was born and raised in Jersey and on most days I will defend it blindly, but Jersey City's skyline is a joke. Nowhere near Philly or Boston.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosX View Post
I was born and raised in Jersey and on most days I will defend it blindly, but Jersey City's skyline is a joke. Nowhere near Philly or Boston.
This is getting off track...but for a city of it's size (around 280,000 by now), JC's skyline is tremendous.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Agreed.............. For its size, it's very good. Def not a joke.
But Boston or Philly it is not.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Quote:
NOT having pride in one's neighborhood is how the rest of Jersey City fell apart in the first place. I know you'd rather it that way though. I'll never get it.

Here we go again, Tommyc we've been over this before. Why is it that if someone dosnt favor gentrification it automatically means they like criminals and slums? I dont get that.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,281 times
Quote:
Jersey City is much more cosmopolitan and urban than 75% of Queens, ALL of Staten Island, and some parts of Brooklyn. Whether or not it has "a different feel" to you is obviously a matter of your opinion, but Jersey City has an urban vibe, and is almost unarguably more hip and more FUN than most parts of the outer boroughs. Oh, and the commute to Manhattan from Jersey City is 8 minutes and costs $1.50, much quicker (and a little cheaper) than anywhere in most of the 4 outer boroughs.
Yeah, but once you cross the Hudson it's a different place. Like I said before I like Jersey City, but it's not NYC. You seem to think NYC vibe= manhattan and not NYC. Jersey City is a great place, so you should embrace it and stop pretending that its NYC.

Quote:
Let's play make believe. If you take somebody from let's say, Boston, who has never been to NYC, and plop them down on the waterfront of Jersey City. Amongst Jersey City's own skyscrapers, and looking across the Hudson at Manhattan's skyline. And you tell them "you're in one of the outer boroughs of NYC". Then you take them to almost ANY part of Queens (or Staten Island!) and tell them the same thing. In which place are they more likely to believe you?
Let's try this one...lets take a NYer and plop him into a JC nabe blindfolded. The instant the blindfold comes off they will know they're not in NYC.
Quote:
I've lived in Jersey City for just over 3 years, and I'm extremely familiar with all 5 boroughs of NYC...and I think Jersey City has a very similar vibe to Brooklyn. Almost eerily similar. Both JC and Brooklyn have really good areas, really bad areas, lots of brownstones, artsists, yuppies, boutiques, corner neighborhood pubs, etc.
I'm glad you feel that way. I dis agree with you completely, and honestly, I don't understand why it upsets you. Jersey City is a wonderful place, its just not NYC and it never will be IMO.
Quote:
I am proud to be a NJian, (although I'm actually a native NYer), and proud to say that Jersey City is in NEW JERSEY, but in my opinion JC has much more of a NYC vibe than a NJ vibe...90% of NJ is suburban.
I agree it has a more big city vibe than it does suburban. NYCs vibe is unique and that's what makes it special.

Quote:
Do you think you're in "a different place" when you cross the Verrazano into Staten Island? Because to me, that doesn't "feel" like NYC either, but it is.
No argument here...
Quote:
NYers tend to think NJ is a totally different world simply because it has a different state name!
probably some. I work with a few people from JC and they also tend to agree that they're two different worlds and they prefer to live in JC. Nothing wrong with that, so what is the reason that some want to pretend that JC is NYC?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
New York City is a suburb of Jersey City. Sure, we get the bridge and tunnel crowd that comes into Jersey to go to Jersey City, Hoboken, or to Giants and Jets games, but we have nothing against them, they're great folks.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilme View Post
I agree with you. I've lived in Jersey City most of my life. Jersey City is its own place, not some "Sixth Boro" of NYC. The ones they have are quite sufficient. Don't get me wrong, I love NYC, but Jersey City doesn't need to be attached to NY at the hip, so to speak.
Exactly. Jersey has plenty that it should embrace its own identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City