Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 PM

256 posts, read 841,657 times

Advertisements

How do you personally view the city?

Do you view it as a hassle to go there? For instance if i met you at a bar or something, would you be less inclined to come to jersey city then somewhere in NY?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,792 times
I liked it and I had never really stepped foot there until I spent three and a half years working near Exchange Place. As for a hassle, I don't think it would be if someone was from Manhattan or certain parts of Brooklyn. It might be with someone from Queens and the Bronx, especially if they don't own a car.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,202 times
I like Jersey City, but don't like it when they want to act like it.s part of NYC. It may be just across the Hudson, but once you cross the hudson, you're in a different place.

Whether it's a hassle to go there or not depends on personal feelings. The Path sucks on the weekends for the most part IMO. If someone wanted me to meet them on a Sunday evening then yes I would conside it a hassle. The other part is not much of Jersey City is easily accesesd by the path and adds to how easily one can access NYC. Some spots have direct bus access to 42st bus terminal and some don't. Either way if you want to live in NYC then move to NYC. if you want to live close to NYC then Jersey City is fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you live in NY. As far as I'm concerned jersey is more like the rest of the countries major cities than it is like NYC.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 AM

141 posts, read 340,054 times
pretty much like the rest of nj......eww

no offense,just the facts

Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I like Jersey City, but don't like it when they want to act like it.s part of NYC. It may be just across the Hudson, but once you cross the hudson, you're in a different place.

Whether it's a hassle to go there or not depends on personal feelings. The Path sucks on the weekends for the most part IMO. If someone wanted me to meet them on a Sunday evening then yes I would conside it a hassle. The other part is not much of Jersey City is easily accesesd by the path and adds to how easily one can access NYC. Some spots have direct bus access to 42st bus terminal and some don't. Either way if you want to live in NYC then move to NYC. if you want to live close to NYC then Jersey City is fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you live in NY. As far as I'm concerned jersey is more like the rest of the countries major cities than it is like NYC.
Jersey City is much more cosmopolitan and urban than 75% of Queens, ALL of Staten Island, and some parts of Brooklyn. Whether or not it has "a different feel" to you is obviously a matter of your opinion, but Jersey City has an urban vibe, and is almost unarguably more hip and more FUN than most parts of the outer boroughs. Oh, and the commute to Manhattan from Jersey City is 8 minutes and costs $1.50, much quicker (and a little cheaper) than anywhere in most of the 4 outer boroughs.

Let's play make believe. If you take somebody from let's say, Boston, who has never been to NYC, and plop them down on the waterfront of Jersey City. Amongst Jersey City's own skyscrapers, and looking across the Hudson at Manhattan's skyline. And you tell them "you're in one of the outer boroughs of NYC". Then you take them to almost ANY part of Queens (or Staten Island!) and tell them the same thing. In which place are they more likely to believe you?

I've lived in Jersey City for just over 3 years, and I'm extremely familiar with all 5 boroughs of NYC...and I think Jersey City has a very similar vibe to Brooklyn. Almost eerily similar. Both JC and Brooklyn have really good areas, really bad areas, lots of brownstones, artsists, yuppies, boutiques, corner neighborhood pubs, etc.

I am proud to be a NJian, (although I'm actually a native NYer), and proud to say that Jersey City is in NEW JERSEY, but in my opinion JC has much more of a NYC vibe than a NJ vibe...90% of NJ is suburban.

Do you think you're in "a different place" when you cross the Verrazano into Staten Island? Because to me, that doesn't "feel" like NYC either, but it is.

NYers tend to think NJ is a totally different world simply because it has a different state name!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Jersey City is much more cosmopolitan and urban than 75% of Queens, ALL of Staten Island, and some parts of Brooklyn. Whether or not it has "a different feel" to you is obviously a matter of your opinion, but Jersey City has an urban vibe, and is almost unarguably more hip and more FUN than most parts of the outer boroughs. Oh, and the commute to Manhattan from Jersey City is 8 minutes and costs $1.50, much quicker (and a little cheaper) than anywhere in most of the 4 outer boroughs.

Let's play make believe. If you take somebody from let's say, Boston, who has never been to NYC, and plop them down on the waterfront of Jersey City. Amongst Jersey City's own skyscrapers, and looking across the Hudson at Manhattan's skyline. And you tell them "you're in one of the outer boroughs of NYC". Then you take them to almost ANY part of Queens (or Staten Island!) and tell them the same thing. In which place are they more likely to believe you?

I've lived in Jersey City for just over 3 years, and I'm extremely familiar with all 5 boroughs of NYC...and I think Jersey City has a very similar vibe to Brooklyn. Almost eerily similar. Both JC and Brooklyn have really good areas, really bad areas, lots of brownstones, artsists, yuppies, boutiques, corner neighborhood pubs, etc.

I am proud to be a NJian, (although I'm actually a native NYer), and proud to say that Jersey City is in NEW JERSEY, but in my opinion JC has much more of a NYC vibe than a NJ vibe...90% of NJ is suburban.

Do you think you're in "a different place" when you cross the Verrazano into Staten Island? Because to me, that doesn't "feel" like NYC either, but it is.

NYers tend to think NJ is a totally different world simply because it has a different state name!
lol... I get your point, but don't you think it's a little ironic that you're saying that Jersey City has more of a NY vibe than the outer boroughs? No... it doesn't, it has a Jersey City vibe because it's in Jersey, and the boroughs have their own vibe: that's what makes them part of NYC! You don't just inherit the vibes of the places near you, you have your own... Places have a vibe that you feel when you're in them.. you can't say NJ feels more like NYC than the outer boroughs, because the outer boroughs are part of NYC and they're what create that vibe.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
lol... I get your point, but don't you think it's a little ironic that you're saying that Jersey City has more of a NY vibe than the outer boroughs? No... it doesn't, it has a Jersey City vibe because it's in Jersey, and the boroughs have their own vibe: that's what makes them part of NYC! You don't just inherit the vibes of the places near you, you have your own... Places have a vibe that you feel when you're in them.. you can't say NJ feels more like NYC than the outer boroughs, because the outer boroughs are part of NYC and they're what create that vibe.
I'm not big on judging places based on their name, or their location. A vibe is a vibe. Jersey City has a more urban vibe than many parts of NYC. Not many would argue with that.

People in NY tend to think that NJ is this whole other world, a strange land. Especially Manhattanites who have transplanted from elsewhere in this country. All they know is what they see on TV, and they form stereotypes. Meanwhile, NJ is a beautiful state, and half the world has no idea. I'm just a bit sensitive on this topic.

I think the original poster is asking, if he met a woman in a bar in Manhattan, and took a fancy to her...would he have a problem convincing her to come back to his place in Jersey City for a little rendez vous. LOL. To answer that question, based on most NYCers' lack of knowledge about NJ, yes, it would be more difficult to convince a woman, because she would likely have no idea where Jersey City is. Meanwhile, it's only a 10 minute subway ride away. But yet she would be more easily convinced to take a 50 minute subway ride to the far reaches of Brooklyn, because "it's still NYC". Funny how people just have no clue...

I work in the Flatiron District, and I love the look on my coworkers' faces (those who live in Manhattan), when I tell them that my commute is quicker than theirs, from *gasp* Jersey City.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
I can live with that. I agree that Jersey City has a more urban vibe than a lot of the boroughs.. just not a NYC vibe.

I understand what you're saying about Jersey in general too; it's because most of the areas that people from here pass through are factories and swamps, but NJ definitely has a lot of beautiful areas.. take Rumson for example!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
From across the Hudson River or the Staten Island Ferry.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Its things like this that make me want to bash my head against the wall.......jk

1. The "new yorkness" of something doesnt depend on how close something is to manhattan. Is jersey city more new york than bensonhurst or coney island? People from the boroughs can walk into manhattan if they wanted too. It just depends on where you live in that borough. Either way new york is new york no matter where your at in the 5

2. Queens is the most diverse county in america. Has some of the busiest streets in the world. Host two international airports. A professional new york team. Has some of the most urban nabes and some of the most suburban. Has a population like 3x that of jersey city. I have a hard time thinking jc can stand up to that. The only borough JC could go agaisnt, and this is just a maybe, is staten island. Other than that, nah.

3. If i was to plop that person on jamaica ave or in the middle of queensbridge. I think that dude would definantly pick queens. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City