U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 AM

404 posts, read 806,239 times
wash heights is a mixed neighborhoodthese days. It is primarily dominican. The area west of broadway has gentrified a bit, but it is still a long way off. Safety varies block to block. East of Broadway is not safe, particularly around W175. The A train up there can be really eradic as well. Frequently it will stop at 168th st due to construction on the weekends, with shuttle bus replacements for further uptown. As my friend said who lived at 168 and b'way, "You'll probably be ok in wash heights, but you wouldnt be surprised if you got stabbed either."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,423,202 times
We checked out the area in 2005. North of GWB and west of Bway is OK. You really want to be up on the palisade (Fort Washington Ave). That area is mostly Yeshiva students and faculty and actually can be pretty nice. However go one or two blocks over to Bennett ave which is west of Bway but at the bottom of the palisade and it starts to get sketchy. East of bway, I would not live there. We compared that area to Clinton Hill in Brooklyn where you have a nice area and a not-so-nice area right up next to each other.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:01 PM

185 posts, read 392,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
wash heights is a mixed neighborhoodthese days. It is primarily dominican. The area west of broadway has gentrified a bit, but it is still a long way off. Safety varies block to block. East of Broadway is not safe, particularly around W175. The A train up there can be really eradic as well. Frequently it will stop at 168th st due to construction on the weekends, with shuttle bus replacements for further uptown. As my friend said who lived at 168 and b'way, "You'll probably be ok in wash heights, but you wouldnt be surprised if you got stabbed either."
its gentrified a bit? Most of west of broadway, especially the 190s/180s and part of the 160s are very high end, very Jewish with some of the nicest architecture in the city, art deco, tudor, castle village etc with some nice views of the hudson and often what I still consider to be astronomical rents for the area (sometimes $3000+). There are doormen buildings as well.
Anyway I have to echo the sentiments of many other posters who say in general the heights (east of broad really) is a mixed bag. def not the worst

Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 PM

22 posts, read 25,290 times
I heard similar things about Williamsburg. Is that also a mixed bag kind of area? I'm looking at an apartment out there (on troutman?) and it looks good and it supposedly even has a doorman but I'm not certain about the area.

Last edited by Soulstice; 12-12-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,423,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstice View Post
I heard similar things about Williamsburg. Is that also a mixed bag kind of area? I'm looking at an apartment out there (on troutman?) and it looks good and it supposedly even has a doorman but I'm not certain about the area.
Williamsburg is not nearly as mixed as northern Manhattan although realtors keep extending it's boundary eastward into Bushwick which is definitely mixed.

Personally I find Williamsburg to one of the least physically attractive areas in NYC. None of the charm of Brownstone neighborhoods and none of the community of northern Queens (which it mostly resembles).

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 AM

6,622 posts, read 10,702,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstice View Post
Troutman is in Bushwick, not Williamsburg.

Troutman is a pretty long street but the subway stops that are closest to it at all points are Bushwick stops (Myrtle Ave and Central Ave J/M/Z and Morgan and Jefferson on the L.) There was recently a long thread on here about the Myrtle stop.

I wouldn't want to live in Bushwick but that's a personal preference. Plenty of young artists/musicians etc are moving in there and have been for a few years but I don't really get the appeal of the place. The lofts aren't even cheap any more.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM

22 posts, read 25,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Williamsburg is not nearly as mixed as northern Manhattan although realtors keep extending it's boundary eastward into Bushwick which is definitely mixed.

Personally I find Williamsburg to one of the least physically attractive areas in NYC. None of the charm of Brownstone neighborhoods and none of the community of northern Queens (which it mostly resembles).
Okay so Williamsburg and Bushwick aren't one in the same the way I was thinking.

Good info though, thank you. Do you mean it isn't as mixed in that its more safe or less safe than Washington Heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Troutman is in Bushwick, not Williamsburg.

Troutman is a pretty long street but the subway stops that are closest to it at all points are Bushwick stops (Myrtle Ave and Central Ave J/M/Z and Morgan and Jefferson on the L.) There was recently a long thread on here about the Myrtle stop.

I wouldn't want to live in Bushwick but that's a personal preference. Plenty of young artists/musicians etc are moving in there and have been for a few years but I don't really get the appeal of the place. The lofts aren't even cheap any more.
I'm gonna have to look up that thread and see if I can get any further information. I've been hearing pretty much the same thing from everyone I've asked (that its not too desirable of an area) so I think I'm getting a better feel of the neighborhood.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM

731 posts, read 1,204,251 times
I like the Heights for the reason that it is always lively (people hanging out until 1-2 in the morning), the clothes and food are cheap (mostly east of Broadway thanks to the Dominican restaurants and cuchifritos as well as the carts), and the 1 and A trains run pretty well in the Heights.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 PM

185 posts, read 392,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I like the Heights for the reason that it is always lively (people hanging out until 1-2 in the morning), the clothes and food are cheap (mostly east of Broadway thanks to the Dominican restaurants and cuchifritos as well as the carts), and the 1 and A trains run pretty well in the Heights.
Yeah, I'm sort of conflicted on that point, I do like how there are always people out, it gives a feeling of safety instead of desolation, on the other hand some of those people can be very very noisy at very inconvenient times.
The Heights problems mainly have to do with quality of life and street dealers. It has some pretty spacious, beautiful pre-war buildings, it has some poorly maintained pre-war buildings. It has quieter blocks, and extremely noisy blocks, some cleaner sts and some very dirty sts though. plenty of good Dominican restaurants and slowly adding some variety, though it has a ways to go. 181st has everything and the enormous, overwhelming crowd to go along with it. Most rents are still reasonable (mainly East of Broadway) and certainly by Manhattan standards.
If a person absolutely must live in Manhattan, needs cheaper rents, some nice parks and an ok neighborhood in terms of safety, this isn't the Upper East side, nor is it East New York or Hunts Point, then they should check it out for themselves.
Oh and the 1 train rules-most of the time.

Last edited by hazeleyes86; 12-13-2009 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM

269 posts, read 217,149 times
I was born in 168th street and i live in 172nd and broadway i also work in that hospital. This place isnt bad at all the worst thing is ppl smoking weed in the building but they are harmless. Kinda protect the place so they dont get kicked out haha. With the #1 hospital in NY right here thngs are really changing for the better but getting very expensive. Anywhere East of broadway im talking AUDOBON and AMSTERDAM aves is not soo good lol except Yeshiva area. They are still livable areas though Im a 24 year old Dominican male who knows a lot of the people here most of them harmless lol just one thing STAY AWAY FROM 164 AND 163 lol i dont really approve of anything south of the hospital (168st) unless its riverside ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City