U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

I have been living in washington heights my whole life (29yrs). I was born in Presbyterian Hosp. Right now I live in my grandmas apt on 170 and Ft. Wash since she left it to me to go back to Dr. I moved out of my parents apt on 172 and Haven Ave when I was 17 moved to 173 and Amsterdam then 2 years later moved to 176 and Audubon then 5 yrs later moved to 171 bet Ft. Wash and Broadway then to Jersey which I hated now back to 170 and Ft. Wash. You have noisy blocks and you have quiet blocks just like any other neighborhood in the world. I never experienced any violence and the whole crack era never affected me since I was too young to know what is going on. I consider Washington Heights in my opinion is really safe if you are not involved in any drug activities. I guess if you are an "out of towner" you would be afraid when you move to a new area but EVERY neighborhood has its up and downs. The Haven, Ft. Wash, Bennet Ave. are definitely the quiet areas. Anything past Brodway is really noisy and ppl hanging out at all times. I have never seen any murders or crime
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
the area is mostly dominicans and jews. if you don't like music in the night dancing drinking after12pm then i suggest another area would be best. dominicans do not cause much danger however a lot of noise in the night. they stay out late in the summer playing bachata and playing dominoes. if that doesnt bother you. COME TO THE HEIGHTS YOU WILL LOVE IT. I SURE DO

Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM

531 posts, read 89,864 times
Washington Heights is the best place to chill but i wudnt live there because in NEVER turns off

Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
the **** part of inwood is so bad loud savage music low life men making comments about womens body parts trash all over the place its depressing there its a hell hole what a low life culture......

Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

578 posts, read 909,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysaphire View Post
the **** part of inwood is so bad loud savage music low life men making comments about womens body parts trash all over the place its depressing there its a hell hole what a low life culture......
It still amazes me that guys think cat calling and making random grimy comments to women passing actually works. I see it every day and its just weird and creepy. I mean I dont know maybe actually being respectful and asking a girl out properly might be a better idea.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu714 View Post
Hi guys!

I'm gonna be visiting the Washington Heights area in May, and have heard such diverse opinions, ranging from:

"Washington Heights is super dangerous!!" to "Washington Heights is very lovely!"

Being from the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area I know, it's just not that easy to proclaim. One block can be relatively safe & nice, while 2 blocks away, can be hell incarnate. Specifically, I'll be staying at Wadsworth & 188th.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who actually KNOWS the area, and not some racist who's Mommy told them never to venture into Harlem and beyond!

Thanks!

HI I currently live in th bronx but was raised in washington heights specifically 184th and broadway. 188thst and wadsworth is not bad. but once u.you walk towards st nicholas which is one block up you might see some young kids hanging out in the corner. no one messes with you. its population is mainly dominicans they are loud but harmless. 186 and amsterdam is cnsidered bad. but if you walk towards broadway which is down the hill the atmosphere begins to transform keep going to bennett and cabrini blvd and its a 360. overall you keep to your self no one will bother you. there is a very bsy shopping area that extends from 187 stnicholas to 180 and st nicholas. they have the childrens place, mc donalds, burger kng, bakeries, nail and hair salons, modells, vim and many other clothing stores.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 PM

23 posts, read 25,289 times
I grew up in the Heights. The area is predominately Dominican with some Jews. What I like about the Heights is the energy on the average day. A bunch of stores and restaurants. The streets are always jam packed, full of street vendors around 181st and St. Nick. I would stay away from Audubon not a good area at all. The Cloisters are a beautiful place to visit. Lots of parks Bennett, Fort Washington. Every thing you'll need will be in the Heights.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 PM

5,108 posts, read 11,945,633 times
Yeah Audobon is the gutter.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 AM

165 posts, read 383,690 times
Can somebody tell me once and for all where exactly I live?! I've never even heard of Hudson Heights until today. People always argue with me about exactly which neighborhood my building is in.

I'm on Broadway between Nagle Ave and 196th St. I always assumed it was the northern end of Washington Heights and I've heard people say that area is actually called Fort George. Others swear it's the southern edge of Inwood. Now I'm wondering if I, in fact, live in Hudson Heights!

Are borders and boundaries that fluid? I thought it would be easy, but almost every map I see of Washington Heights has different boundaries (especially the northern ones).

For the record, My little pocket of The Heights (if that is in fact where I live, ha!) is very safe and my building is great. It's true though that I just have to walk a few blocks before areas have a not-so-safe vibe to them.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:11 PM

13,014 posts, read 19,914,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk2108 View Post
I am looking to move soon and I found a nice sublet in a 4-bedroom apartment on 172 & Ft. Washington. I really like the apartment but I am not familiar with the neighborhood. I want to be sure the area is safe and okay before I commit myself to the place.
Is your landlord a CHinese guy? If so, he owns a ton of apartments around the hospital there - located on 168th and Ft Washington.

I lived there for awhile. You just come out of the subway, follow the bright lights of the hospital down to Ft. Washington, and walk right up.

That little area isn't too bad. It's the other side of Broadway, or if you had to walk up Broadway too much, that I'd feel a bit unsure about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City