U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,856,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually you are right,7 wishes. I was thinking specifically about places like Poughkeepsie,Newburg,Beacon,Wappingers Falls,etc. I guess that's actually Dutchess County.

Anyway,I have heard that section 8 people are being steered in droves out of the city to those places and to Pennsylvania.
it is sad but this has been going on for years, they keep pushing people further north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM

346 posts, read 755,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
This is just my opinion, but personally, I don't see why a metro of 20 million people would want to get much larger...

Metro Tokyo is 32 million and you all want to beat that? That just sounds like an awful lot of people to me. Wouldn't that many people be a bit...overwhelming?
One could argue that Tokyo's infastructure is vastly superior to New York City's. Still, they can barely support their own population, and if anything this city should decrease in population if only so that the city can improve its now century old infrastructure, as well as advance municipal technologies (the city largely still uses an OS built by IBM in the 80s, and on the XP computers they have, an emulator so that they can log into the 80s system)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 PM

6,373 posts, read 7,488,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually you are right,7 wishes. I was thinking specifically about places like Poughkeepsie,Newburg,Beacon,Wappingers Falls,etc. I guess that's actually Dutchess County.

Anyway,I have heard that section 8 people are being steered in droves out of the city to those places and to Pennsylvania.
Newburgh is Orange County, the rest Dutchess, and you're right about being steered in droves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, that's just NYC - the STATE itself is losing population pretty rapidly, as is New Jersey.

http://www.theblogofrecord.com/tag/s...ng-population/
I just looked at it, it is up to 2007, I doubt FL is #1 in domestic in anymore, probably not even in the top 10. Ditto NV and AZ. But you're probably still right about NY, NJ, CT, MA on that chart (biggest domestic out).

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,936,604 times
The issue w/ infastructure is more of a government ineffecency issue than one of growth. I'm sure if NY was still posting horrific popualtion losses ala 1970s, we would see even less improvements, not to mention less federal monies.

Cities in Europe and Asia get things done becuase they don't pander to NIMBYs, Union mafiosos, "Community Activists", Manhattan developers, etc...Look at the total disaster the WTC site has become. As long a most of the money in flush times goes towards big pay outs to unions, political contributers, corruption and waste, nothing will get done, population rise, drop or the same....

Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 PM

132 posts, read 243,019 times
This is good news. All reason why I need to get back as soon as possible NYC is the greatest city on earth. I just can't get it out of me.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:44 AM

2,384 posts, read 4,490,248 times
NY's growth rate was only .5% making it less than average. Its just so large that 53,000 doesn't really add much. Many places are growing much faster. If NYC has 8 million and adds 53,000 is it growing faster than say Austin which might have 1,200,000 and gains 40,000?

2. During recessions cities grow as people are not ready to move to smaller towns. The Wall Street Journal had a good story on that Thursday.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-04-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 PM

4,528 posts, read 4,212,633 times
Im sorry but NY cannot get any bigger with some major Infrastructure Upgrades...

The City is NOT even at 10million proper and:

- A bunch of Subway lines are at capasity both in Trains Running and People filling them up
- Bus systems moves to Sloww and is unreliable.
- When it Rains its IMPOSSIBLE to get anywhere in the City (Thursday trying to get out of the city and into Jersey was a disaster..Who ever design the Holland with JUST 2 lanes in each direction NEEDS TO BE SHOT!)
- The need to walk in the street in certain high Tourist area's, namely the Squares!
- THERE's NOT ENOUGH HOUSING, which is why NY is a Landlords Paradise!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM

346 posts, read 755,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Im sorry but NY cannot get any bigger with some major Infrastructure Upgrades...

The City is NOT even at 10million proper and:

- A bunch of Subway lines are at capasity both in Trains Running and People filling them up
- Bus systems moves to Sloww and is unreliable.
- When it Rains its IMPOSSIBLE to get anywhere in the City (Thursday trying to get out of the city and into Jersey was a disaster..Who ever design the Holland with JUST 2 lanes in each direction NEEDS TO BE SHOT!)
- The need to walk in the street in certain high Tourist area's, namely the Squares!
- THERE's NOT ENOUGH HOUSING, which is why NY is a Landlords Paradise!
The problem with housing though is that to fill demand you'd have to build towers all over the other 4 boroughs, and frankly, the land isn't designed for that. The streets would be (and is) too small to facilitate an explosion of population, etc. So people here saying that the city should be going to compete with Tokyo (which is horrifically overpopulated, though I guess the people rooting for this haven't actually been to Tokyo to see it themselves)

Regardless though, this data is misleading on the surface because the growth is irregularly small for a recession, and MOST of the new population is immigrants, just as usual. In fact, if the immigrants just stopped showing up one day, the city would be in trouble.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 PM

3,409 posts, read 2,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | New York Leads U.S. Cities In Population Growth

Something many of us already suspected. Still, adding 53,000 is a lot, especially in a recession.

"Census data also shows many of the country's urban areas are growing at faster rates than the rest of the nation, reversing a long-standing trend of migration to the suburbs."
I didn't expect it at all. I expect Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta. So this is great news!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,654,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
The problem with housing though is that to fill demand you'd have to build towers all over the other 4 boroughs, and frankly, the land isn't designed for that. The streets would be (and is) too small to facilitate an explosion of population, etc. So people here saying that the city should be going to compete with Tokyo (which is horrifically overpopulated, though I guess the people rooting for this haven't actually been to Tokyo to see it themselves)

Regardless though, this data is misleading on the surface because the growth is irregularly small for a recession, and MOST of the new population is immigrants, just as usual. In fact, if the immigrants just stopped showing up one day, the city would be in trouble.
What do you mean by the bolded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City