Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
well said.

i could see if the ppl moving to ny were from the u.s. but these ppl are from various other countries. the national unemployment rate is 9.5%...i'm actually looking for a job and its very frustrating...then to see all these ppl that weren't there 5, 10 years ago and they have jobs...argh.
i sound like archie bunker right now, lol. i'm not trying to be racist, predjudice, etc. but come on. when are we gonna help out americans??
i'm black if that matters.

as a black person, i'ma say it. ride the f train. nobody black gets on (starting from 179th st) til you get to queens bridge. then nobody else black gets on til you get to brooklyn. smh @ this. black ppl got pushed out, i guess. used to see black ppl on hillside. used to. we're scarce now.
everything is east indian, west indian (but still east indian...non black west indians), asians, etc.

bodegas aren't even bodegas anymore. they're owned by mexicans...no offense at all. i'm happy for them. can you please leave more than one bodega with what you'd normally expect in them? everything has to be mexican oriented now?? really?

234234324324 billion indian shops with indian clothing.

i love diversity but this isn't diveristy. this is pushing out what used to be there and receiving a mass influx of only one or two groups.
Why do people feel pushed out though if different people move in? Btw, those foreigners are Americans now,too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
The population is rising but the infrastructure needs to be updated, thats why we have congested trains, streets, highways. One thing that we have severely lacked within the last 50 years are Planners who are true visionaries who actually succeed in getting the job done instead of always presenting endless "proposals". If the subway had never been built and an project on its scale was proposed today, you know there's a good chance that it probably wouldn't be built or massively scaled back.

There's room to grow and it clearly shows since people keep coming to nyc but I just feel that the infrastructure has to be updated and expanded to help accommodate.
Nimby-ism is more audible now. Its a good thing in some ways, bc maybe you don't get R. Moses ramming the cross-bronx through East Tremont to avoid some politician's property, but its a bad thing because some GREAT projects get blocked.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:28 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
European transplants don't count as immigrants?
Good point and interesting question.
I guess I don't count them as immigrants because they don't consider themselves immigrants.Not the ones I was referring to anyway.They are just kind of on an extended travel visa and don't consider NY ( or the US ) as their home.Whatever houses or apartments they buy are 4th or 5th homes and their is no intent to stay or become citizens.

I usually think of immigrants( even illegal ones) as having an intent to stay,with at least the hope of citizenship.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They are displacing people at the bottom of the economic ladder who are being forced to the exurbs like Pennsylvania and Rockland county.
Pennsylvania yes (though this is starting to dwindle, many of the people who moved there couldn't even afford houses there and foreclosed), but A) I'd hardly consider Rockland County "exurban" anymore (maybe Orange or Putnam County), and B) while cheaper, than NYC or Westchester, I'd hardly call Rockland the kind of place someone who can afford PA can afford.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 PM

93,289 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Pennsylvania yes (though this is starting to dwindle, many of the people who moved there couldn't even afford houses there and foreclosed), but A) I'd hardly consider Rockland County "exurban" anymore (maybe Orange or Putnam County), and B) while cheaper, than NYC or Westchester, I'd hardly call Rockland the kind of place someone who can afford PA can afford.
Many of the people forced out are coming further Upstate or are moving "down South". I've met people here in Syracuse that have moved from Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | New York Leads U.S. Cities In Population Growth

Something many of us already suspected. Still, adding 53,000 is a lot, especially in a recession.

"Census data also shows many of the country's urban areas are growing at faster rates than the rest of the nation, reversing a long-standing trend of migration to the suburbs."
Well, that's just NYC - the STATE itself is losing population pretty rapidly, as is New Jersey.

http://www.theblogofrecord.com/tag/s...ng-population/

Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, that's just NYC - the STATE itself is losing population pretty rapidly, as is New Jersey.

States Losing Population | The Blog of Record
NY and NJ are losing population when you compare domestic in and out-flows. International immigration and a higher birthrate than death rate keep the populations growing in both states.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
TPk you're misleading everyone. NYC is the biggest but percentage wise many cities are growing faster.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: No need to call him a liar -- thanks.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually you are right,7 wishes. I was thinking specifically about places like Poughkeepsie,Newburg,Beacon,Wappingers Falls,etc. I guess that's actually Dutchess County.

Anyway,I have heard that section 8 people are being steered in droves out of the city to those places and to Pennsylvania.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
NY and NJ are losing population when you compare domestic in and out-flows. International immigration and a higher birthrate than death rate keep the populations growing in both states.
NY State is definitely losing population.Upstate is emptying out like someone pulled the plug in a sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City