Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:10 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
This is a very good point. Brooklyn is great, but I wouldn't recommend staying there unless you know the city well. For example, you could get a hotel in Williamsburg only to find that the L Train is not running all weekend (a not uncommon occurrence). There are always alternate routes, but they take longer, sometimes a lot longer. If you're on vacation you don't want to deal with that.

The great thing about central Manhattan is that there's almost always another train you can take.
Oh no, you're right. I definitely don't want to deal with that. I'm seeing a lot of hotels in Manhattan that are just a little bit more than $120, and some are less. I can definitely live with that. I was under the impression that decent hotels in Manhattan would be like $300. Maybe it depends on your definition of "decent", though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'm 100% sure that little rock, arkansas is more dangerous than ny.
man..it sure is hard to shake the past...even if the ny most ppl think about is the ny from about 15+ years ago.
We can thank Mayor Bloomberg for what the City is today!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Oh no, you're right. I definitely don't want to deal with that. I'm seeing a lot of hotels in Manhattan that are just a little bit more than $120, and some are less. I can definitely live with that. I was under the impression that decent hotels in Manhattan would be like $300. Maybe it depends on your definition of "decent", though.
This might've been a lot closer to true before the recession, but hotel prices have taken a dip.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Hi! I just came back from moving my daughter to NYC -- it went much better than expected. First, I planned it like a military campaign -- down to the last detail. But . . . I want to pass on a great hotel deal -- the Holiday Inn Soho at 138 Lafayette Street -- newly remodeled -- VERY clean and friendly and well appointed -- and an internet rate of $149. When you call the desk and say you want the internet rate -- you will have to pay in advance -- NO cancellation so make sure of your date. But it was a very nice hotel in a great area and the price can NOT be beat for that level of a hotel in Manhattan.

Just passing on a good tip! Enjoy!

Oh yes -- and we ate at Bona Fides -- a charming Italian cafe near the East Village -- very delicious and VERY reasonable. Pasta was homemade -- sausage was fantastic -- and our entrees were about $13 each. Also -- a VERY delicious red house wine -- half carafe for $13!!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Hi! I just came back from moving my daughter to NYC -- it went much better than expected. First, I planned it like a military campaign -- down to the last detail. But . . . I want to pass on a great hotel deal -- the Holiday Inn Soho at 138 Lafayette Street -- newly remodeled -- VERY clean and friendly and well appointed -- and an internet rate of $149. When you call the desk and say you want the internet rate -- you will have to pay in advance -- NO cancellation so make sure of your date. But it was a very nice hotel in a great area and the price can NOT be beat for that level of a hotel in Manhattan.

Just passing on a good tip! Enjoy!

Oh yes -- and we ate at Bona Fides -- a charming Italian cafe near the East Village -- very delicious and VERY reasonable. Pasta was homemade -- sausage was fantastic -- and our entrees were about $13 each. Also -- a VERY delicious red house wine -- half carafe for $13!!

Glad to hear the move went well! Do you have any tips to pass along to others who might be in a similar situation?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
^^^ Exactly, please share. Do you think SOHO is a good place for toursits wanting to visit the city, centrally located?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:59 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
^^^ Exactly, please share. Do you think SOHO is a good place for toursits wanting to visit the city, centrally located?

Soho does not seem to me to be "centrally located" but it is certainly accessible to everything else and is within walking distance of Little Italy, Chinatown, Tribeca,and The East Village. So . . . if you want to spend sometime in lower Manyhattan -- that Holiday Inn is a great deal at $149 per night. We stayed there because it was the best hotel we could find FOR OUR NEEDS near the East Village. I believe it is a pretty easy subway or taxi ride up to midtown -- Times Square, Union Square -- all those other sites everyone loves to visit.

The East Village itself struck me as kind of kooky, off-beat, fun place for mostly a younger crowd. My daughter is 23 and loves it. I am a middle aged woman so I found it a bit noisy and interesting -- but still fun. There were lots of interesting shops and restaurants and bakeries -- tons of great ethnic food. I love the fact that you could stop at a pierogi shop, a dumpling shop, an Albanian bakery, an Israeli grocery and a Ukranian coffee house in one block!!

Some tips for a trip to NYC -- if you are driving make sure you have LOTS of quarters -- some streets only will accept quarters in the machines. If you are driving --as we did because we were moving my girl -- make sure you buy an EasyPass. Don't take the Holland Tunnel if you have a uhaul or a trailer -- they will make you turn around and go to the Lincoln Tunnel (we didn't have that happen but spoke to TWO people who experienced that nightmare). Plan your arrival after the morning rush and before the afternoon rush. We rolled into NYC around 11:00 am on a Tuesday and it was perfect. Watch our for crazy bicyclists whirling about. They do not seem to obey the traffic rules and driving in NYC is hectic enough if you are from out of town but I was constantly worried about hitting a bicyclist. Get a good map -- study the map -- know that most of NYC is a grid but when you get down to Soho it gets twisty turny and is not as easy to drive. Learn the one way streets -- my initial directions had me turning left to go south and it was a one way street going north. Panic!! LOL. Try not to dress like a total tourist -- hahahah -- my husband had on bermuda shorts tucked in with a belt and white socks and white tennis shoes and some very NYorky burly construction workers passed us and said "Good morning tourist people!!!" It was funny but kinda embarassing.

Be nice to people and people will generally be nice in return. People do rush about and the general feel of the city is busy and aggressive -- but that's New york. It really does feel like the center of the universe.

My only true complaint -- the city is dirty dirty dirty and on trash day the stench was nasty. I don't know the solution . . . but that was a problem for me.

I will be hitting NYC occassionally to visit and will keep this forum posted on my progress in getting to know your fantastic city!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 48,238 times
I just came back from NYC last Sunday. I stayed there for one week alone. I had NO problems whatsoever. Manhattan is busy day and night. There are always tons of people on the street and they were all very friendly.

Just make sure you have:
1. A map of the city (Insight guide makes a very good one!) And even then once you start moving around you won't have to use it too much. They city is on a grid (except downtown) where avenues are north and south and streets run east and west.
2.Bring walking shoes. I stayed in Greenwich Village on 12th street and walked all the way to Central Park once (I wasn't used to walking that much)
3. Bring quarters etc to take the subway when needed. This is also very easy to do. The maps are very straightforward.

Have fun for me!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,220 times
Thanks for the tip, Frannybear. I can afford $149 a night, and if it's easy to access the cool places from there, I'll check it out. I won't be driving, so that's one less worry for me!

Thanks for easing my mind a little bit about the subways, LCM81. Even if they are easy to navigate, I'll probably still get lost a couple times (I have no sense of direction). I'm hoping that I'll be able to use the subway a lot (instead of taxis), because its so cheap and quick.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM

103 posts, read 304,970 times
To the OP, I'm visiting NYC for the first time on the 16th. My gf has been there but I have not. We booked a room at the pod hotel located at 230 E 51st St. We got the bunk bed room for 99 a night since we're traveling on a budget. Reviews on the place seem to vouch for it pretty good. It's a hotel that has a shared bath situation, but I think for around 30 or 40 more you can have your own private bath and a double bed. It seems like a really good location and everything. Just letting you know. I hope you enjoy your visit! I don't know about you, but I'm excited to experience NYC finally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City