Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,811,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
. They don't have time to listen to your stories about how much taller the buildings are here, and the traffic is so heavy, and you really like Central Park, and how the pace is so much faster, and, and, and, and.........
Thank Buddah you understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
New Yorkers aren't rude. We're busy. We talk and move faster. We aren't much for small talk or casual conversation, but we are very helpful people. If you look obviously lost or in trouble or you just ask nicely at least a few people will step forward to help you. I always found this to be true when I was growing up there or when I go back to visit.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start of my first post about an argument I had with someone about New York people being rude. lol. I grew up on Long Island, then moved into the city (Greenwich Village) a few years ago.

My brother had some friends visiting from Chicago and before they left I was asking them how they enjoyed their time here. They said that they found New York people to be extremely rude - everyone from police officers, to waiters, to hotel employees, etc. They said that people seemed annoyed when they had questions and did not seem friendly overall.

I am shocked. Am I biased because I am a New Yorker, or is this the true experience that people have when they visit the city?
From my experience in my last trip to NYC, most of 'em are fine folks. They're just busy, or at least act busy. Unlike in other parts of the US, they just don't take the time for small talk with strangers. A lot of the waiters I had were actually very gregarious, as were folks like the hotel staff. When I asked strangers for directions they were very straightforward but not rude IMO.

At the end of the day, people in NYC aren't much different from people in Atlanta or Chicago or Dallas or LA. Most are probably pretty friendly, but the city culture is such that you have to get to know them (if only for a few minutes) to see that side.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM

57 posts, read 73,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina86 View Post
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start of my first post about an argument I had with someone about New York people being rude. lol. I grew up on Long Island, then moved into the city (Greenwich Village) a few years ago.

My brother had some friends visiting from Chicago and before they left I was asking them how they enjoyed their time here. They said that they found New York people to be extremely rude - everyone from police officers, to waiters, to hotel employees, etc. They said that people seemed annoyed when they had questions and did not seem friendly overall.

I am shocked. Am I biased because I am a New Yorker, or is this the true experience that people have when they visit the city?
I grew up in NYC and have lived and traveled extensively elsewhere and can say unequivocally that New Yorkers are in general ruder than people in most other places, but more so in the outer boroughs (e.g. Staten Island, Brooklyn) than Manhattan.

Maybe they're just less phony. I don't get the sense that people elsehwere are necessarily any nicer, but they are more civil, more polite. You go into a small store in most places and the guy behind the counter will smile and say "What can I do ya for?" In NYC such niceties are rare. The guy behind the counter will probably not say hi or smile. The males in NYC tend to be very concerned with seeming 'cool' or 'tough', even when they are well past childhood and young adulthood. Everybody wants to seem like either a bad ass or a hipster or a sophisticate. It gets old fast.

Good luck, kid.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM

156 posts, read 285,602 times
Perhaps newcomers are comparing people whom they don't know to people where they came from whom they do.
If one thinks that New Yorkers are rude, I would suggest never visiting Europe. When I moved back I was BLOWN AWAY at how much friendlier New Yorkers are than Europeans. In NYC I've been standing on a sidewalk trying to decide where to go next and multiple people will stop and ask whether I need directions.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Perhaps newcomers are comparing people whom they don't know to people where they came from whom they do.
If one thinks that New Yorkers are rude, I would suggest never visiting Europe. When I moved back I was BLOWN AWAY at how much friendlier New Yorkers are than Europeans. In NYC I've been standing on a sidewalk trying to decide where to go next and multiple people will stop and ask whether I need directions.
Hell, if we're talking about Europeans, let me say that Parisians are a lot nicer than people give them credit for. I have a feeling that a lot of the people who think the French are *******s probably never even tried to approach them in French. I barely speak any French at all, but if I started a conversation by saying that I do not know French and asking if the person knew any English, they were usually more than happy to speak in English. And if they didn't know English, we'd try to understand each other with rudimentary words and gestures.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 PM

94 posts, read 236,455 times
I'm from Kentucky originally and grew up with Southern manners. When I moved to NYC, I honestly expected a lot of rudeness from the people (to this day, everyone back home asks me "Are them Yankees mean?") but that hasn't been my experience AT ALL.

It is a different type of manners and culture than I grew up with - obviously, no one waves to everyone they see on the street (your arm would fall off!) but the only people I've found to be outright rude are some of the tourists, to be perfectly honest. I did once have a New Yorker act snappy with me in Time Square, but who could blame them? I get annoyed when I have to be there, too.

I've found New Yorkers to be very helpful and kind, in general. I once tripped on the sidewalk and had two women run across the street to make sure I was all right. Anytime I"m below the grid and get turned around (I don't know the SoHo area very well) everyone is great about giving me a quick point in the right direction.

Heck, if anything, I've sometimes found themt o be TOO helpful. I'm visually impaired and often travel with a cane. It seems like I can't leave my house with that cane without someone on every corner asking if they can help me cross the street (which is totally and completely unnecessary). It gets rather tiresome having to say "No, I'm fine" every five minutes! lol. But anytime someone tells me New Yorkers are rude or unhelpful, I bring this up.

I've been visiting NYC for 3 1/2 years and living here for 1 1/2 years, and my experience with locals has been positive. And this is coming from a girl who grew up with the whole Southern Hospitality thing.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM

156 posts, read 285,602 times
Afraid I did try speaking French to Parisians--no help at all. But I'll admit I've spent less time in France than in Germany, Austria, or Italy.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 923 times
I have been in NYC as an Irish tourist 3 times so it's hard to say what new yorkers are really like but from my experience I love new Yorkers.Naturally there will be friendly and not do friendly people like in every part of the world.I have to say in general people in NYC are not at all ignorant.I know the way of life is very fast but people in NYC were always very courteous and polite to me when I needed directions and so - in general Americans are more polite and helpful compared to Irish people!!I never experienced any aggression with my time in new York - in fact the opposite.Whenever i was having problem carrying cases on sub way to and from hotel or was completly lost strangers always helped me - basic manners to people is sadly not so apparent here in my home country this is one of the main reasons why I love coming back to NYC - I love the hustle and bustle and the multi cultural aspect of new York.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM

123 posts, read 176,744 times
I've been helped on the street, its easier to get directions from people here than in Boston where most glare at you and walk away, and random strangers have talked to me like we've known each other for years.
I've experienced NYC as a tourist and fell in love with it. So now I'm trying to make it to live here. Still no regrets and still positive.
New Yorkers are the best people in America! I've found them to be the most genuine, but would I want to be on their bad side? Ummm....no:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City