U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-16-2009, 10:28 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,130,586 times
being a transplant i love when ppl ask me for directions! the other day two boys asked me "what party of the city are we in?" and i told them Chelsea. I thought it was kinda sweet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,422 times
You know what the funny thing is...NYers have to defend themselves all the time about whether they are nice or not. I get "wow you were born and raised in NY" all the time. Those rude people you encounter for the most part are not from NY per se - they are both from foreign countries and other states, PA, CT, NJ and think they have to be nasty to survive here. Don't get me wrong NYers can take nasty to the next level, but I think that is anywhere. I don't get what is bad about wanting to get what you have to do done. How is this bad? I wouldn't go to another state or country and ask someone during rush hour to take my picture out of common courtesy. I mean if you are genuinely lost, of course ask someone for directions somewhere. I live here and sometimes when I come out of the train in Times Square, I have no idea which way I want to go and I have never had someone be rude when I asked which way is 6th or what have you. If it is common for things like this to happen to you as an individual than I have to say that is just really bad luck of the draw on the people you are conversing with. I have never had that happen to me once any where, not here or any of the places I have visited. Sometimes people genuinely don't know the places you are looking for and what can you do. I think you get what you what you give off - if you come off nasty or with a sense of self entitlement, you will be treated accordingly. I'm going to agree with Fred on the secret - NYers really aren't mean and rude like people think, but don't rub us the wrong way. It can get a little hairy then.

Unread 09-16-2009, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,960 times
People are definately not mean, they're busy. I lived in Boston for a while and I find New Yorkers shockingly friendlier and less pretentious than Bostonians. New Yorkers are much more diverse and accepting, therefore friendlier than parochial homogenized Bostonians.

Unread 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM

982 posts, read 893,845 times
well i was there for the past 4 days visiting and i happened to take the trains and subways for a bit. everytime i had questions or was lost i had no problem asking someone and everyone was always very friendly and went out of their way to make sure that i was able to get to where i wanted to go...

Unread 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM

25,348 posts, read 16,889,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiloveyou10 View Post
People are definately not mean, they're busy. I lived in Boston for a while and I find New Yorkers shockingly friendlier and less pretentious than Bostonians. New Yorkers are much more diverse and accepting, therefore friendlier than parochial homogenized Bostonians.
I was reading something not long ago that made sense. New Yorkers tend to get to the point in their conversational style, not being people to waste time and couch things in extra words. They aren't rude, but to someone from where things are done and said differently, they may be perceived as so.

Unread 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,339,378 times
Yes I agree. It can be jarring to people elsewhere. I had to learn to add an extra paragraph of speech before I got to the point when I moved to Mass. Oddly enough, even with all these extra words, we have to infer more, because it's just not done to clearly state your desires/plans/requests.

Unread 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM

4,324 posts, read 4,981,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was reading something not long ago that made sense. New Yorkers tend to get to the point in their conversational style, not being people to waste time and couch things in extra words. They aren't rude, but to someone from where things are done and said differently, they may be perceived as so.
That is true. For example, when someone said Hi to me in VA Beach. I did not want to say Hi, because I did not know that person. Hence, the person thought I was being rude by not saying hi back. However, now I am starting to say hi

Unread 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM

9,444 posts, read 8,897,738 times
New Yorkers are friendly, but just too stressed out and it can come off as rude sometimes. They need more sunshine and vitamin D to fix it. Environment has a lot to do with an attitude.

Also, working in the city is tough, and they are always in the rush, but there are tourists everywhere. It's like Ellen Degeneres said once: New York needs a fast lane and a slow lane for pedestrians. I remember I worked in fashion district and would buy coffee at Pret, the lines would move so quick and I would be out of there in a minute, but friendly slow-paced tourists would slow up the line sometimes and everyone would get annoyed...but it's not because we are mean! We are just in a rush! I understand you are on vacation and have nowhere to go, but we do! Anyway, now I live in Florida and now I'm the one who has to adjust to slower lines in Publix.

Unread 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,422 times
That is kinda rude - LOL...if someone says hello to me and I don't know them, I would still say hello...all the while thinking, why the hell is he/she saying hello LOL!

Unread 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM

829 posts, read 1,122,717 times
Well, I was born and raised in New York, but have spent a few years in two southwestern cities, Albuquerque, NM and Phoenix, AZ. The quality of service you get in most NYC stores is pretty low, but I find people on the street can be very helpful. To the point. But helpful.

Albuquerque, and New Mexico in general, is one of the friendliest places in the US. I have had some extraordinary kindness was shown to me that I've never experienced anywhere else in the US. Phoenix is a city of strangers and sprang up much like the old gold rush towns. Rather than say anything bad about Phoenix, I will say this. It made me appreciate New York City.

NYC is not the best nor the worst when it comes to rudeness. Given its size and nature it does pretty darn well for itself.

Mod cut: off topic.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Photo has nothing to do with topic. Please post in photo thread if you wish to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City