U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:43 AM

10 posts, read 71,322 times

Advertisements

I am looking at apartments in the financial district for an Aug move from GA. Is the area safe or are there certain streets/avenues that are considered safer in the area? It seems like a nice area during the day when I visited back in March, but how is it at night? There seems like a lot of luxury buildings that are just being built. Any advice on this area would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 AM

83 posts, read 248,984 times
Just out of curiosity - any particular reason why you want to live in the Financial District? Are you planning on buying or leasing after only one visit 4 months ago?

(To answer your question, yes, it is safe - but is not really a place where people "live").

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,935,865 times
It's very safe. Some people don't want to live there because there's not a lot going on at night (you have to go to Tribeca for real night life).

That being said, it's very easy to get around because there are subway stations everywhere. I also like the architecture and funky old streets, some of which are nearly 400 years old.

There has been so much construction down there in the last three years that the neighborhood has changed a lot. They keep hoping to create critical mass to attract the amenities that would make it a desirable, residential neighborhood. I don't see it becoming the Village anytime soon, but there are a lot of deals to be had.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 AM

2,425 posts, read 5,044,709 times
There isn't much going on at night - even early at night. But it is becoming quite residential so that will be changing but who can say how fast. A lot of places used to be closed on the weekends, but that's already changing. I wouldn't mind living there.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,533,293 times
Default I love

Fulton street leading to the S St Seaport--kind of charming

Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM

341 posts, read 811,148 times
I guess you could say it's safe because at night it's practically deserted; no attackers and/or muggers to set upon you. But on the flip side, there'd be no witnesses there either.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM

217 posts, read 833,896 times
You might get mugged, during the day, by a broker... The posters above are right: it's boring at night, not much going on. I don't like the area much as it's DARK and GLOOMY due to all the big buildings so close together. It's also difficult walking during the day. However, if you've got the job/bucks to live in the area, you'll make your own scene... I've been to one apartment in the area and it was HUGE - like 4 bedrooms. This was in 2000, though, and (argh!!!) they were selling for under $300k - at least that's what I was told.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 PM

0 posts, read 1,349,925 times
There is no crime in the Financial District.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,935,865 times
I met at friend at his apartment in the FD on Monday at 8:00. It's was the first time I'd been in the neighborhood at night in a few years. Sadly it's still the same. There were quite a lot of people on the street, mainly well groomed, 30-something professionals. The main shops are Starbucks, bodegas/delis, and drug stores. There are few restaurants to choose from and none of them distinguished.

I'm surprised people like David Chang and Danny Meyer haven't set up shop down there. They'd make a fortune.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM

301 posts, read 1,187,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
There is no crime in the Financial District.
Well, no violent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or