Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM

341 posts, read 452,401 times

Advertisements

Ok now, please don't knock me lol. I LOVE to clean. It's odd..but I really do. I find it a stress reliever. HOWEVER, I am a full-time medical student and I will start taking on more things. I simply do NOT have the time to clean my apartment the way I like it.

I was thinking I could stimulate the economy, and create a small job for someone else! lol .
My idea, for now, is:

How much is the going rate? I live in a one bedroom apartment in Queens. It's just my partner and I. I can honestly say we are fairly clean and pick up after ourselves.
I honestly can make more money hiring someone, and continuing with work, rather than just cleaning myself, as well.so this is why it appeals to me.

Do any of you hire helpers, etc? Can you give me some figures? What do you think is fair?
I'm considering hiring at stay-at-home Mom, or even someone who would like to bring their kid along , because I know it's hard for women with children to get work without childcare. IDK, we shall see.

Last edited by Platinum333; 07-05-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
You will probably pay through the nose,if you are able to find anyone at all,to get someone to come for 2 hour shifts 5 days a week.
That's just not the way most of them work.They usually want at least a 1/2 day each time they come.It makes sense.Would you work a 2 hr shift?
You might luck out and find someone in your immediate neighborhood who is willing but I doubt it.

I think $25.00/hr (x 4 hr min =$100) cash is fairly standard.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Well I am pretty flexible on the schedule and hours really. So $25/hr is standard?
Or is a flat rate? Sure sounds grand...I know many college graduates that aren't even making
$15/hr right now!

Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 PM

I might just skip college if I can get paid $20/hr to clean a house

Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Honestly, even when I was doing rotations in medical school, I found the time to keep my home clean and tidy. There's always a weekend morning when you can get things sorted out.

And, from what's in your other posts, you're not a medical student: you're in college. If that's so, you have TONS of time.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Honestly, even when I was doing rotations in medical school, I found the time to keep my home clean and tidy. There's always a weekend morning when you can get things sorted out.

And, from what's in your other posts, you're not a medical student: you're in college. If that's so, you have TONS of time.
You had time to analyze my posts, but could not answer a simple question? It's none of your business what I do or do not do.
I could be a rich stay at home mom...or I could be someone who juggles three jobs. If I want a housekeeper then it's my choice.
I can afford it...and it's stimulating the economy.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-06-2009 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Mod cut: not necessary.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
All I did was read your post in this thread you posted yesterday: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ive-bronx.html

It doesn't take much analysis.

What you do with your money is immaterial to me. Spend it as you wish. I was just saying that it is possible to save yourself some money and keep a tidy home, too.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
hell, for 25 dollars an hour, 40 hours a week i would be your JANITOR.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM

493 posts, read 665,190 times
I would probably stay away from any big-box maid service...they can be cheaper but those people are paid like crap, Often don't do a very good job technically speaking, and sometimes even steal. It's not the kind of organization I would ever support. (There's a book called "Maid in America"...interesting read.)

A good buddy of mine's mother did independent cleaning work and I think she charged minimum $15/hr (and I suspect worked mostly under the table) and got basically all of her work through referral.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,823 times
OK I guess I may be pathetic. I called an agency before. They told me it would be $7.00 per hour with a 5 hour minimum. I was like cool, send her over. I was pregnant at the time. They sent me this nice old lady. I was like how much does the agency pay you. She told me $5.50. I was like WOW. I gave her $50 for washing my dishes. I couldn't live with myself for paying her anything less. But she told me if I need her to call. I felt so bad. I offered her $10 per hour and paid her cab fare to & from my house when I need her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City