Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 10,523 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to New York and one of the appartments the broker showed me that I liked the most, are in the Shore Towers complex in Astoria on 12th street and Astoria Park street. I took a walk around the area and I loved it, especially the park. My main question as a person who has never lived in the area is regarding safety. The area seemed safe during the day but I am wondering if the same holds true at night as well?? I will be working afternoons in Manhattan and will have to come home past midnight several times a week. Is the walk from the subway on 31st and Astoria Blvd walking down Astoria Park to Shore blvd safe for a woman late at night?? how about the subway station itself?? Thank you for helping me make the right choice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello234 View Post
I am relocating to New York and one of the appartments the broker showed me that I liked the most, are in the Shore Towers complex in Astoria on 12th street and Astoria Park street. I took a walk around the area and I loved it, especially the park. My main question as a person who has never lived in the area is regarding safety. The area seemed safe during the day but I am wondering if the same holds true at night as well?? I will be working afternoons in Manhattan and will have to come home past midnight several times a week. Is the walk from the subway on 31st and Astoria Blvd walking down Astoria Park to Shore blvd safe for a woman late at night?? how about the subway station itself?? Thank you for helping me make the right choice!!
Yes, the whole area is pretty safe.. you shouldn't have a problem walking home late at night. A lot of people will gather on the "strip" (the long sidewalk with railing that overlooks the water and the city) at night and blast music and such, but I don't think that will reach your apartment.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,774,511 times
It's as safe as any walk in NYC can be. Which is to say its neither say, nor un-safe.

I'm a born and bred NYer, and I'm going to tell you straight.

If you've got street smarts, then it might work for you. If you don't then....

Here's a tip:

Do you think a long walk along relatively dark streets with little to no pedestrian traffic where there are hiding places and anyone could confront you with no one around and an EMPTY park across the street is "safe"?

Use your common sense! So, what risk level do you find acceptable? It's your safety. Yes, the whole area is pretty safe, its a low crime neighborhood, but all it takes is one moment to be unsafe and your life is ruined.

If you were a predator, WHERE would YOU prey?

Frankly, I doubt anyone in your building makes that walk, at night. I don't even notice significant numbers in the daytime.

I suggest you take a taxi at night. Probably about $7 from the subway.
You could probably arrange with a local car service to meet you every night.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
It's as safe as any walk in NYC can be. Which is to say its neither say, nor un-safe.

I'm a born and bred NYer, and I'm going to tell you straight.

If you've got street smarts, then it might work for you. If you don't then....

Here's a tip:

Do you think a long walk along relatively dark streets with little to no pedestrian traffic where there are hiding places and anyone could confront you with no one around and an EMPTY park across the street is "safe"?

Use your common sense! So, what risk level do you find acceptable? It's your safety. Yes, the whole area is pretty safe, its a low crime neighborhood, but all it takes is one moment to be unsafe and your life is ruined.

If you were a predator, WHERE would YOU prey?

Frankly, I doubt anyone in your building makes that walk, at night. I don't even notice significant numbers in the daytime.

I suggest you take a taxi at night. Probably about $7 from the subway.
You could probably arrange with a local car service to meet you every night.
Are we talking about the same Astoria? I'm there EVERY NIGHT. There's plenty of people in the park at night, and the blocks aren't exactly completely empty. Also, I'm pretty sure A LOT of people DO make that walk at night... you make good points about trying to be safe and having street smarts, but you make it seem like the area is a lot scarier than it actually is.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,523 times
If anyone else has something to add please feel free to do so, because this thread has left me quite confused with one poster saying its completely safe and another sort of encouraging me to look for an appartment elsewhere. Thank you

Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 PM

127 posts, read 633,643 times
Personally, I wouldn't live there because it's too far from the train -- just seems like too much of a hassle. But doesn't that complex have a shuttle to/from the Astoria Blvd station? When I lived in Astoria I seem to recall seeing it.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babadi View Post
Personally, I wouldn't live there because it's too far from the train -- just seems like too much of a hassle. But doesn't that complex have a shuttle to/from the Astoria Blvd station? When I lived in Astoria I seem to recall seeing it.
It takes me ten minutes to walk to there from the train, but I'm often accused of being a fast walker.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
If anyone else has something to add please feel free to do so, because this thread has left me quite confused with one poster saying its completely safe and another sort of encouraging me to look for an appartment elsewhere. Thank you
Who's encouraging you to look elsewhere?

I encourage even challenged you to use your COMMON SENSE.

This is NYC, "safe" is relative. What's safe for one person can be dangerous for another. What's dangerous for one is safe for another. For example, male or female; black, white, Hispanic; day or night, etc.

You appear to WANT someone to tell you whether its "safe". Whatever someone might tell you DOESN'T make it so!

BTW, are you male or female? For some reason I presumed you were female.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Are we talking about the same Astoria? I'm there EVERY NIGHT. There's plenty of people in the park at night, and the blocks aren't exactly completely empty. Also, I'm pretty sure A LOT of people DO make that walk at night... you make good points about trying to be safe and having street smarts, but you make it seem like the area is a lot scarier than it actually is.
You are there EVERY NIGHT. That means what exactly? You're "pretty sure"? Sounds like you're GUESSING!

Sorry, like your response to the OP----did you comprehend what she was asking?

She's contemplating moving to Shore Towers. Are you "pretty sure" where that is---or, do you KNOW where it is?

The OP wants to know if the WALK from the subway home will be "safe". Did you miss that? For some reason your response focused upon the walk along Shore Blvd. bordering the park. That's NOT where she'll be walking.

In any event, the subway stop to reach Shore Towers is Astoria Blvd. From there she would have to walk down Hoyt Ave. which turns into Astoria Park South----that's a straight shot to Shore Blvd. where Shore Towers is located. There is little foot traffic of any consequence, and the later it gets the less there is. This is particularly so once you cross 21st Street. For the most part, there is NO reason to be walking there, unless you live there. One side has the park, the other a few homes. At night it is virtually desolate, except in the summer when a few families will sit out in their yards. Fall thru Winter (and Spring) there's no activity.

In addition to the fact that there is where the Tribrough Bridge begins at 31st Street, the right side of the route has no buildings and literally no foot traffic. The Bridge rises and underneath there's plenty of nothing! all the way to 21st street where the park begins.

Now, I KNOW what I'm talking about. I'm not guessing, not presupposing, now estimating. It's MY town. It's the neighborhood I live in. coincidentally, I've considered living in Shore Towers and there is an apt. near there I plan to look at this weekend; and my GF would have to make the same precise commute AT NIGHT! Not happening----and, Astoria is where she was born.

So, NO, we are NOT talking about the same Astoria (nor even, the same city). You're talking about a fantasy manifestation that clueless (not so kind word omitted) newbie transplants flock to because they can't afford their Manhattan dreams and haven't a clue where they are, and ponder whether its safe or not.

I'm talking about a town and place I know like the back of my hand. I have no fantasies and no illusions.

Ever here a born and bred NYer ever ask: "Is it safe"?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,136,490 times
Quote:

Beautiful Park Nice Area. Pretty Safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City