U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM

3,418 posts, read 3,275,064 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know some place that has a typewriter available for use, perhaps on a time-rental basis as Kinko does with computers? I need to fill out some forms, and wanted them typed for clarity. And, not surprisingly, all the old typewriter rental places have vanished.

In the interests of efficiency, I'd love to hear of any places that you KNOW for a fact exist. In other words, not theories or guesses. I know this is a tough one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM

295 posts, read 974,921 times
Default typing

Last time I had to use one...I went to the library...but it was a while ago.

Try calling your local library & ask for type writer/word processor.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,829,323 times
What kind of forms? Maybe you can download an electronic form that you can fill out on a computer.

Or, if this form is only available in paper form, you can scan it into a computer and use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator to fill them in.

I don't know of any places that rent typewriters (I'm sorry...I know you were asking for specific locations), but, maybe you can BUY one for cheap:

classifieds - craigslist

This one: Electric Typewriter (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/1261400900.html - broken link) is free.
There are a bunch of others in the $20-$40 range.

The thing is, do they come with a ribbon/ink? If not, is that something you easily find?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM

7,208 posts, read 12,064,230 times
Think creatively if you can get by without one. If the place you have to submit forms to will accept a photocopied version and not the original, then use a computer to type your answers onto another sheet of paper, cut out the answers and use tape to tape them into the right places on the form, then photocopy the whole thing and submit that.

Old fashioned cut and paste, but no more old-fashioned than a typewriter!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM

477 posts, read 1,269,134 times
hahahahahahahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ HENNA... OMG IM crying here

THATS A DARN GOOD IDEA!

im feeling like.. why didn't i think of that

Old 07-09-2009, 03:56 PM

16,639 posts, read 13,887,763 times
Why don't you just use handwritten block/capital letters?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 AM

11,592 posts, read 15,937,908 times
Default If I had known this 4 years

ago when i moved, I would have saved my 25 year old Smith Corona typewriter and given it to you! it still worked well

Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 AM

7,903 posts, read 13,928,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Think creatively if you can get by without one. If the place you have to submit forms to will accept a photocopied version and not the original, then use a computer to type your answers onto another sheet of paper, cut out the answers and use tape to tape them into the right places on the form, then photocopy the whole thing and submit that.

Old fashioned cut and paste, but no more old-fashioned than a typewriter!
That's actually what my sister and I would do years ago when we needed things to be typed, and PC's were still not common.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 18,805,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Does anyone know some place that has a typewriter available for use, perhaps on a time-rental basis as Kinko does with computers? I need to fill out some forms, and wanted them typed for clarity. And, not surprisingly, all the old typewriter rental places have vanished.

In the interests of efficiency, I'd love to hear of any places that you KNOW for a fact exist. In other words, not theories or guesses. I know this is a tough one.
in all seriousness what kind of forms are these? im sure there must be an alternative option such as downloading them from the internet.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,928,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
in all seriousness what kind of forms are these? im sure there must be an alternative option such as downloading them from the internet.
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. It is very rare these days to actually have to use a typewriter for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City