U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
 
5,460 posts, read 5,343,862 times
Reputation: 5656

Advertisements

Does anyone know some place that has a typewriter available for use, perhaps on a time-rental basis as Kinko does with computers? I need to fill out some forms, and wanted them typed for clarity. And, not surprisingly, all the old typewriter rental places have vanished.

In the interests of efficiency, I'd love to hear of any places that you KNOW for a fact exist. In other words, not theories or guesses. I know this is a tough one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
 
295 posts, read 1,163,040 times
Reputation: 113
Default typing

Last time I had to use one...I went to the library...but it was a while ago.

Try calling your local library & ask for type writer/word processor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,686,453 times
Reputation: 2813
What kind of forms? Maybe you can download an electronic form that you can fill out on a computer.

Or, if this form is only available in paper form, you can scan it into a computer and use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator to fill them in.

I don't know of any places that rent typewriters (I'm sorry...I know you were asking for specific locations), but, maybe you can BUY one for cheap:

classifieds - craigslist

This one: Electric Typewriter (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/1261400900.html - broken link) is free.
There are a bunch of others in the $20-$40 range.

The thing is, do they come with a ribbon/ink? If not, is that something you easily find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
 
8,817 posts, read 16,265,551 times
Reputation: 5640
Think creatively if you can get by without one. If the place you have to submit forms to will accept a photocopied version and not the original, then use a computer to type your answers onto another sheet of paper, cut out the answers and use tape to tape them into the right places on the form, then photocopy the whole thing and submit that.

Old fashioned cut and paste, but no more old-fashioned than a typewriter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: LES & Brooklyn
615 posts, read 1,615,249 times
Reputation: 425
hahahahahahahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ HENNA... OMG IM crying here

THATS A DARN GOOD IDEA!

im feeling like.. why didn't i think of that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
 
23,173 posts, read 21,783,106 times
Reputation: 10016
Why don't you just use handwritten block/capital letters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 AM
 
12,120 posts, read 21,975,093 times
Reputation: 3661
Default If I had known this 4 years

ago when i moved, I would have saved my 25 year old Smith Corona typewriter and given it to you! it still worked well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,022 posts, read 17,625,242 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Think creatively if you can get by without one. If the place you have to submit forms to will accept a photocopied version and not the original, then use a computer to type your answers onto another sheet of paper, cut out the answers and use tape to tape them into the right places on the form, then photocopy the whole thing and submit that.

Old fashioned cut and paste, but no more old-fashioned than a typewriter!
That's actually what my sister and I would do years ago when we needed things to be typed, and PC's were still not common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
11,744 posts, read 24,758,563 times
Reputation: 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Does anyone know some place that has a typewriter available for use, perhaps on a time-rental basis as Kinko does with computers? I need to fill out some forms, and wanted them typed for clarity. And, not surprisingly, all the old typewriter rental places have vanished.

In the interests of efficiency, I'd love to hear of any places that you KNOW for a fact exist. In other words, not theories or guesses. I know this is a tough one.
in all seriousness what kind of forms are these? im sure there must be an alternative option such as downloading them from the internet.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,022 posts, read 17,625,242 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
in all seriousness what kind of forms are these? im sure there must be an alternative option such as downloading them from the internet.
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. It is very rare these days to actually have to use a typewriter for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top