Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM

203 posts, read 664,902 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a place eventually but I don't agree that the premise buying is better than renting is a "no-brainer"...especially when OP is paying $1000 in rent. Highly doubtful you can get a mortgage and maintenance for less than that.
It is not ripping up money as you are giving money in exchange for shelter.

I do agree that eventually buyer is better. But you have to look long term. If you plan on staying 6-7 years, sure buy. Also, OP has $10,000 for a downpayment, that is not enough. My advice is that if you really want to buy...wait until you saved 20%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
....I'm in my late 20s, married and was also thinking about buying a coop in the low $200K range. But as of now, I think I'm going to rent instead. I don't want to make it a rent vs buy thread but you have very affordable rent right now. Why do you want to buy a coop and spend alot more? Is it because you think it will appreciate? Is it because you want a place you renovate (though coops are strict with that)? .....
Maybe the $8,000 credit for buying in 2009 that would cover all the closing costs on a $200,000 apartment and still leave another $5,000?Expires at the end of the year.

Maybe the 4.5 % fixed interest rates that makes the payments on a $180,000 loan about $800.00/month ?Probably will never be lower in your lifetime.

Maybe because in most of The Bronx you can find apartments at this price that have already been renovated with all new kitchens and baths ?

Maybe because coops tend to be much quieter and much better maintained than rental buildings ,giving you a better quality of life ?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
I would like to buy a place eventually but I don't agree that the premise buying is better than renting is a "no-brainer"...especially when OP is paying $1000 in rent. Highly doubtful you can get a mortgage and maintenance for less than that.
It is not ripping up money as you are giving money in exchange for shelter.

I do agree that eventually buyer is better. But you have to look long term. If you plan on staying 6-7 years, sure buy. Also, OP has $10,000 for a downpayment, that is not enough. My advice is that if you really want to buy...wait until you saved 20%
Outside of NYC you certainly can!

I pay $600/mo on LI. My friend in Bayside pays $900/mo. We both own.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Maybe the $8,000 credit for buying in 2009 that would cover all the closing costs on a $200,000 apartment and still leave another $5,000?

Maybe the 4.5 % fixed interest rates that makes the payments on a $180,000 loan about $800.00/month ?

Maybe because in most of The Bronx you can find apartments at this price that have already been renovated with all new kitchens and baths ?

Maybe because coops tend to be much quieter and much better maintained than rental buildings giving you a better quality of life ?
Bingo! (although, I don't think you can, in essence, use the $8k credit for your closing costs b/c you would receive it after tax season in 2010- after you have closed).

Old 07-10-2009, 02:05 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Sorry to contribute to the "off-topicness" of the last few posts, but I want to clarify the details on the $8k home purchase tax incentive. To claim this tax credit, you must CLOSE ON the home purchase by November 30, 2009, you must be a first-time home buyer (which means, in reality, that you haven't owned a home in the past three years), and to claim the entire $8k your income must fall within stated limits. Also, if you OWE taxes, you'll only be eligible to receive the difference between $8k and what you owe. You possibly CAN get the money this year, if you file an amended tax return. Finally, some banks are offering loan of up to $8k that you can use towards your down payment, which are to be repaid when you file for the credit.

If you have questions about the tax credit, I'd suggest that you check out the Mortgages forum here at City-Data.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
wait a year and watch the real estate market crash here. If its still too expensive, then honestly consider moving out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City