U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2007, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,161 times

Advertisements

I am from California and will be moving to Queens NY, around the Fresh Meadows area, and need some help. I was told that these areas are ethically grouped (not sure, is it?). Does anyone know where I can obtain this specific information?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 PM

359 posts, read 1,912,227 times
Im not sure of the exact demographics of Fresh Meadows(i believe theres alot of Asain but dont quote me on that). But Queens is the most diverse county in The US. Most is inhabited by Italians,Jews,Irish,Hispanics, and African-Americans but there are huge pockets of Pakistani,Asain and Polish and Greeks aswell.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,062,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just look View Post
I am from California and will be moving to Queens NY, around the Fresh Meadows area, and need some help. I was told that these areas are ethically grouped (not sure, is it?). Does anyone know where I can obtain this specific information?
Queens is overall extremely diversed, but does have pockets of specific ethnicity. Fresh Meadows is a great area, primarily white with lots of italians, irish and jews. Real estate is quite pricey, and the area is convenient to public transportation and highways.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,842,126 times
Is Fresh Meadows really that white anymore? Perhaps 10-20 years ago that was true, but I dont' think thats really the case currently.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 AM

609 posts, read 2,646,218 times
I'm pretty sure that Whitestone is one of the last areas in Queens that have not had an influx of asian-americans. Not that there is anything wrong with Asian Americans

I lived in downtown Flushing in the sixtys. It was Jewish, Italian, Greek, Irish, I had a Japanese kid in my class who lived in the neighborhood.

Now it is all Asian. I went there to visit recently. No litter, No graffiti, No dirty (get out of our neighborhood) looks. It was nice and I didn't feel bad about my old neighborhood.

Some people feel bad about the changing ethnic climate of northeast Queens but it could be A LOT worse.

Oh, by the way, I love Fresh Meadows. You should check it out in person for a good overview.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 AM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
The original poster probably didn't have bad intentions but posts like this bother me. It bothers me that in the year 2007 people still care what race their neighbors are going to be when considering what neighborhood they are going to move into.

I'm a bit of an idealist sometimes. I dunno. I just wish so many Americans weren't so obsessed with race or ethnicity. People are a lot more alike than we care to realize.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 AM

4,359 posts, read 4,062,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The original poster probably didn't have bad intentions but posts like this bother me. It bothers me that in the year 2007 people still care what race their neighbors are going to be when considering what neighborhood they are going to move into.

I'm a bit of an idealist sometimes. I dunno. I just wish so many Americans weren't so obsessed with race or ethnicity. People are a lot more alike than we care to realize.
I think it might just be that you want to feel like you belong there. A mixed neighborhood with a representation of lots of different ethnicities is different then one where there is a dominant ethnicity, and you feel like the outsider.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Why would someone buy a home in a neighbohood of people that may not want them there.

NooYowker...... do you really think that Whites are the only ones that can be potential bigots? Wake up! There's coffee brewin'. Do ya smell it?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
Why would someone buy a home in a neighbohood of people that may not want them there.

NooYowker...... do you really think that Whites are the only ones that can be potential bigots? Wake up! There's coffee brewin'. Do ya smell it?
See this is why sometimes I don't like writing about these issues because people often don't know how to take it. When I wrote my post I didn't say anything about white people or any specific group for the matter. If you notice, I wrote the very general term American. Are you one of these people that only consider White Americans, American?

My point is that there are too many bigots everywhere and that I sometimes wish that in the year 2007 people weren't so obsessed with race or ethnicity. Notice the word people, that means anybody. I don't even know if the original poster is White. Why would I assume that?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM

o k noo yerker some Americans that are black, white, Asian, Jewish, American Indian, east Indian, portuguese, Russian, irish..............................etc.,etc, don't like different kinds of people in the neighborhoods that they "BELIEVE' is reserved for their ethnic group.

Please read carefully before you judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City