Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM

7 posts, read 45,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning a move for the end of the month and am trying to figure out if I am getting a horrible deal with Flatrate. I am moving from a 1BD on the 3rd floor of a 3-story walkup in Bushwick, Brooklyn to a 1BD in an elevator building in Long Island City.

I need to move:
-1 Queen-size Bed
-1 Bedside Table
-1 Computer Desk
-1 Computer Chair
-2 Standard-Size Dressers
-1 Medium-size wall mirror
-1 Plastic Storage Bin
-1 Couch (82" length)
-1 Glass-top Coffee Table
-46" LCD TV
-1 TV Stand
-2 Rugs (5'x8')
-1 Sofa Table
-1 Four-Person Table w/ 4 chairs
-2 Floor Lamps

For all these items, the Flatrate quote was $1,475. Is there anywhere else that can do this for less, and if so, where?

Thanks,
kcw984
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Have you called any other companies for a quote? Seems to me that would be the first step .....

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 PM

217 posts, read 921,643 times
It's hit or miss with any movers here in the city. The way I've done it is thus: get rid of big furniture, it's not worth the hassle and it's cheaper to buy a new one - sometimes. "Hire" your friends and get a U-Haul.

Of course, if you don't want to DIY it, try other movers. I've seen signs on lamp pots advertising $60/hr moving services. I'd do it, but I'd make sure *I* moved my own breakables and valuables.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
For a move like yours to do it in 1 trip requires a box truck(10ft). 3 man job at the minimum since there is a 3rd floor walk up on the loading end. This is a 3-4 moving job,with the unload taking less time since there is an elevator. Now for that price they are probably going with 4 movers.

I know your reasoning is that it's only a 5 mile distance between apartments. Yes,2 men with a van would be cheaper,but it would require 2 vantrips,maybe even 3.

From the list of items that you listed it sounds to me that all of the small stuff you plan on moving yourself? clothes,odds and ends. Get a breakdown on that $1,475 estimate,such as how many hrs and how many movers they expect to do the job. In my opinion your move should cost $800.00 tops.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
1500 is alot for your stuff, but not unreasonable considering the conditions right now.

1. You are not paying for the distance but the actual time involved in moving the stuff to and from the vehicle.

2. And with a walk up this is very physically stressful work.

3. Any mover worth their salt is busy as anything right now moving people out of the city or into lower cost apartments.

4. Any flat rate contractor will give you a high quote because they have to factor in the inevitable, which is that the people moving almost always under estimate what they really own. Plus, the fact that you are trying to get a flat rate is usually an indicator that you are cheap.

5. This means that they will give you a quote that you couldn't possibly make them lose money on. If they're going to do the work then they're going to make it worth it to them.

6. The most cost effective way to move is to rent the vehicle your self and hire the workers separately. I recently moved about 6 months ago from NYC to Long Island, 65 miles or so. Total cost for a 2 bedroom apartment was under $800. But, I rented and drove the truck and I contracted out the two workers and had everything packed and waiting for them. Price quotes from companies started for me at $1500 and went up depending on if I would need additional hours.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I have used Flatrate twice over 10 years ago. Both times the service was good and the quote was reasonable.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Moving companies are most busiest in the beginning and in the end of the month. I guarantee you that if you had told them you were moving on the 15th of this month the estimate would be a lot lower.

Same thing for renting a van,it will be a lot more expensive at the end of this month,they have a higher demand thus they can raise the rates.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I always check yelp.com to see how many stars they got from reviewers before using any kind of service like this. Here is a place for you to start
Movers New York | Yelp

also here are 52 reviews about flatrate Movers New York | Yelp

Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
4. Any flat rate contractor will give you a high quote because they have to factor in the inevitable, which is that the people moving almost always under estimate what they really own. Plus, the fact that you are trying to get a flat rate is usually an indicator that you are cheap.
Can you explain how someone wanting to know exactly what a service will cost them in advance makes them "cheap"?

I think if you can make any judgment about someone who would want to get an accurate quote in advance for a service that you could say it means the person is an intelligent consumer who doesn't want to get ripped off.

I guess you are not aware that the moving industry has an incredibly high rate of scam artists and con men. New York and Florida is where many of the worst offending companies are located - something to do with the laws. You need to do your research before calling someone cheap.

One site you might consider reading is Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams

Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,325 times
Flatrate was the highest quote I got of any of the moving companies I canvassed for a move a few years ago. Although they are generally going to charge you that rate and no surprises, the rate that they quote is really high. You are better off getting one of the lowball quotes somewhere else and going over budget and you'd still be significantly under what Flatrate quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City