Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Its convenient for me to be in the trains towards the back since its close to the exit at my stop. But whenever im at a station im not familiar with, I end up at the wrong end and when I get off my stop, I have to walk quite a bit to the exit.
Now I'm going to ask you a silly question, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic: I can understand something like this the first time you enter or exit an unfamiliar station. But (and here comes the silly question), shouldn't you know which end of the station is which after the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't every train run on a left-right common basis? Let me put out some scenarios:

You're in the Bronx taking the 6 train downtown, the trains run on the left side.
You're in Bed-Stuy taking the A train to ENY, the trains would run on the right side of the track.
Or you're in the Financial District going to Harlem, the trains would run on the right side.

I don't know, it seems like common sense and I assumed all trains run like that.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't every train run on a left-right common basis? Let me put out some scenarios:

You're in the Bronx taking the 6 train downtown, the trains run on the left side.
You're in Bed-Stuy taking the A train to ENY, the trains would run on the right side of the track.
Or you're in the Financial District going to Harlem, the trains would run on the right side.

I don't know, it seems like common sense and I assumed all trains run like that.
It is common sense, but that is a commodity that seems to be in short supply these days.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM

132 posts, read 446,287 times
If you're confused as to what part of the train you need to be, stay in the middle of the station, exits are mostly closer or right there.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:

34th & 8th comes to mind -- the local C tracks are on the outside and there's a center island for the A express.

If you're taking the C, there's no question -- the train comes from the left. However, if you're taking the A, it comes from the right. Coming up the stairs from the underground passageway, it's easy to get confused as to which side of the platform you need to be on (well, it's easy for THIS decrepit oldie), so you might need to look at the red/green lights to make sure you're on the correct side.

ETA: At the 81st St & CPW "C" station, the uptown train approaches from the RIGHT.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't every train run on a left-right common basis?
Trains do not run on a "left-right" basis. They run on what is officially considered to be "north-south." Which side of a particular station a train comes in on has nothing to do with direction.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Now I'm going to ask you a silly question, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic: I can understand something like this the first time you enter or exit an unfamiliar station. But (and here comes the silly question), shouldn't you know which end of the station is which after the first time?
Unless its a station i frequent, I cant remember very well cause I go to alot of places by train whether its to a store I havent been to or a bar. Especially late night after some drinks my memory is even worse lol. But I think I can manage by looking at the red/green lights.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,904 times
Good thing to remember too , if you don't know which direction a train is coming from , stay in the middle of the platform. Just some friendly advice.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-14-2009 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: We've already had a vivid picture like that in the thread, and it's not necessary, thanks.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
Good thing to remember too , if you don't know which direction a train is coming from , stay in the middle of the platform. Just some friendly advice.
This is true! About three years back, there was an incident where a woman standing on the platform at 34th and 6th (she was waiting for a D train) got hit in the back of the head when a train came into the station from the direction she wasn't facing.

Why a human being would be leaning over the edge of a platform in the first place manages to pass understanding. And how she couldn't tell that the train was coming from the other direction (as in, you don't see the approaching headlights, perhaps?) is a mystery that will probably never be answered. Fortunately, she wasn't killed. But I imagine she won't lean over the platform edge any more.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default if you are a map reader

and have a good sense of direction, and know what avenues/streets the trains run on, when you are on the platform you should be able to automatically know what direction the train will come from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City