U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 PM

331 posts, read 677,807 times
Default subway trains...is there a way to tell from which direction the train is coming?

Its convenient for me to be in the trains towards the back since its close to the exit at my stop. But whenever im at a station im not familiar with, I end up at the wrong end and when I get off my stop, I have to walk quite a bit to the exit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,223,788 times
Don't quote me on this, but from the stations I've been in.

Train always comes from your left.

If there's two trains that arrive on the platform, and you're standing on the express side, both trains will come from your left. Likewise, if you're standing on the local side, both trains will come from your right.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,455 times
Look both ways on the track and you will see green/red signal lights; the train will come from the direction facing these lights in order to see them. The other direction will have either no lights or white (non signal lights.) Usually you'll be able to tell before you even get that far by the people already looking in the proper direction. But that's how you know which direction the train will come from.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,146,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Don't quote me on this, but from the stations I've been in.

Train always comes from your left.

If there's two trains that arrive on the platform, and you're standing on the express side, both trains will come from your left. Likewise, if you're standing on the local side, both trains will come from your right.
Unfortunately, nice as it would be, you can't generalize train direction (left vs. right). The better way, as Caralho said, is to look for the red/green lights.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:25 PM

40,060 posts, read 18,946,485 times
You can look for the signal lights, as stated, and you can also look for little plates with numbers mounted above the edge of the platform. The numbers on these plates will most often be 4, 6, 8 or 10. (They're guides for the train operator, so he or she knows precisely where to stop a train with that particular number of cars). Just as good as the signal lights as an indicator of which direction the train will enter the station!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,630,298 times
Be careful before bending over and looking down the tracks --- I saw a guy get hit by a train this way back in the 80s in Kew Gardens. He bent over to look down the tracks and was looking the wrong way. Didn't realize the train was already coming in the station and -- splat.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,064,111 times
I wish this was like the Washington Metro. The platform actually has lights on them, and they will flash when it tells you that your train is near!

Though this is NYC, just wait for the squeeking noise, and dirty air, to rush in your face.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 PM

346 posts, read 776,512 times
Northbound trains (in manhattan) are on the right hand side of the platform while facing northward bound. How these trains appear in the other boroughs depends on the feed direction they are into Manhattan. The 4 train towards Manhattan on Utica Ave. would be leaving the station west bound. Certainly I hope that many of you have enough dexterity to figure out which direction you are facing, and if it becomes to much of a bother remember that in NYC the sun is always due south.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM

477 posts, read 1,198,995 times
When standing on the platform and your looking for the train... If the people are looking at you... Your looking the wrong way!!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM

15,041 posts, read 12,147,778 times
I think you need to orient yourself according to the above ground landmarks. Associate an entrance above the ground with where you are relevant to the platform and track. If you are able to do this you will always know what part of the train will be nearest to the exit you want as long as the station has more than one exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City