Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM

47 posts, read 128,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
my friend that lived in this area worked in lower manhattan and would go over to china town every week to and lug home fresh vegatables, fruits and fish because they were not readily available.
I'd just like to give a brief disclaimer to the people reading this. I consider myself to be rather polite and can engage in many difficult discourses without resorting to personal attacks. However, and I say this with all due respect, DAS, I think you're taking it a little too far with that vegettable comment.

Finding fresh vegetables in Mt Eden is or never has been an issue for me or anyone I know in the area. In fact, many Bronx Lebanon employees happen to live by the area and are seen frequently shopping at the local supermarkets, buying vegatables--fresh ones, to be exact.

Fresh vegatables aren't readily available? You must think that perhaps all you can find in this neighborhood are platanos, and lettuce and tomatoes. Who do you think lives here? This is so wrong.

What amazes me is how you back up everything you say with detail after detail. And somone looking at what you're saying might even give some credence to what you're saying due to the fact that you write well.....frankly, I hope that's not case.

DAZ, with all due respect, negative perceptions of the Bronx linger because of posters such as yourself. Sorry. Just my opinion.

ou say it s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM

85 posts, read 415,485 times
Yeah, it is not hard to find fresh vegs in places such as Korean owned groceries, etc. Come to think of it, before the recent construction on the 'malls' there was a farmers market every so often- maybe monthly- hopefully that will be back. There is also a farmers market a bit south- 165- Grand Conc. one a month or so.

But it is true that the vast majority of residents are living there on some type of gov't subsidy. Also, there is a large homeless shelter on 171/ Morris Ave. And believe it or not ( I was very surprised when I found this out) many of the buildings in the area are used as placement for those in the shelter system- many of the buildings on Sheridan and Selwyn. Also, the promisa clinic in the vicinity of Clay/ 176 attracts a lot of undesirables- methadone patients.

I will say however, that the houses along mt Eden opposite the park are well kept, as are some of the buildings around the hospital on the Concourse.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:35 PM

Well, I live in one of those buildings, and I happen to think that immediate area is decent, that's all. It's still the hood, but not as bad and I think it has a lot of potential, shelter's and all.

I know for a fact that certain buildings are being bought out by the hospital, and more and more of it's employees are taking up residence by the area. In fact, the building across that hospital in Sheridan has many employees living there.

And the farmer's market is open every weekday. Many fresh vegetables there.

You're right about Sheridan, though. Very spotty. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Are you from the area, jt?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 PM

12 posts, read 9,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
you also don't want to have to live miles away from getting good nutritious food, not sugary salty junk. these are the types of things that will have to be corrected in the central bronx on some small levels before things can look like they are turning around.

These things will only happen after an affluent/middle class TREND is established and a market for healthy foods is created because the demand for it by the residents in the community is high and are willing to pay alittle more to eat healthier.

Doesn't make much business sense to open a costly organic food store in the "hood" where the majority of the people don't even have a pot to p*ss in.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog09 View Post
These things will only happen after an affluent/middle class TREND is established and a market for healthy foods is created because the demand for it by the residents in the community is high and are willing to pay alittle more to eat healthier.

Doesn't make much business sense to open a costly organic food store in the "hood" where the majority of the people don't even have a pot to p*ss in.
You see, this is precisely why I saw the need to jump in on these forum: to fight some of the myths concerning the bronx.

Listen, if you were to go to a supermarkt on the Concourse, you will find healthy foods, not just salty party food and quarter waters.

What exactly are you going by? Where are you getting this information from? There are even smoothie shops around where i live.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM

The way I look at it, there needs to be an aggressive, "tough love" approach in the rebirth/revitalization of the Bronx.

We need to sit back and examine the "ills" of the Bronx. What type of people are contributing and creating these "ills". Once we find out who they are, give them 2 options. #1- Get your act together by acting like civilized/productive people of the community or #2 get the hell out.

I may offend some people by this comment but generally speaking, poor/low income people are the ones that contribute and create the "ills" in a community. It's that negative "hood" mentality and lifestyle they live by that decays and brings down a community like the BRONX. All those thugs, drug dealers and hustlers all derive from the "hood" culture.

You want to clean up a neighborhood that has undesirable, low income people that create a nusiance in the community? Then do what Harlem is doing...price them out!

Ever since the revitalization of Harlem in the mid 90's, crime has dropped and quality of life has improved drastically. A once deemed undesirable place to live is now a hot spot to invest and live in. If Harlem can do it, why not the Bronx?

So what if these people get displaced? I have absolutely no sympathy for these type of people. They get what they deserve. The opportunies are out there for people who want to be successful in life. If you were too lazy to persue that path and went the crime route, then you deserve every negative thing that happens to you. Including displacement.

If their displacement means a better community for my kids to grow up in then I'm all for it. Besides, these people put it upon themseleves to be treated as outcast or second class citzens by their negative conduct and lifesyle. What did you think was going to happen? People just turn the other way and ignore that they're a nusiance to the community?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousguyeducator View Post
You see, this is precisely why I saw the need to jump in on these forum: to fight some of the myths concerning the bronx.

Listen, if you were to go to a supermarkt on the Concourse, you will find healthy foods, not just salty party food and quarter waters.

What exactly are you going by? Where are you getting this information from? There are even smoothie shops around where i live.

Excuse me, you're right. There are healthy places in the Bronx where you can buy food. What I meant to say was the market doesn't exist in the Bronx YET for a predomiantly organic food store such as trader joes and whole foods to open up. Just like there isn't a market in the Bronx for a Starbucks to open up. Once the Bronx is more middle class than poor then you can expect these stores and type of foods to be available. In other words, the demographics of the Bronx has to change. Not race but income wise.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Well I live in the Fordham part of central bronx, as most regulars know already. I think this general area has a lot of potential, but there are alot of things that are discouraging. I don't feel unsafe here, but I would be crazy to raise a family here.

I like a lot about Fordham. Mainly I like that its a very convenient area. There is very little I can't get in terms of shopping there (yes including fresh fruits, and veggies). There is also a good amount of public transportation. But there are still a ton of quality of life issues there. More than anything I see a lot of problems with younger folks. I could probably count on one hand the kids I see that look like they stand a chance at a decent future. Most are up to no good, and their parents are barely older than them which is another huge problem.

Every once in a while there will be something encouraging though, like for instance there are a few churches that seem to be positive, and maybe even stabilizing influences, or like when a building near to where I live installed a camera by the entrance and loitering went way down...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-18-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog09 View Post
Excuse me, you're right. There are healthy places in the Bronx where you can buy food. What I meant to say was the market doesn't exist in the Bronx YET for a predomiantly organic food store such as trader joes and whole foods to open up. Just like there isn't a market in the Bronx for a Starbucks to open up. Once the Bronx is more middle class than poor then you can expect these stores and type of foods to be available. In other words, the demographics of the Bronx has to change. Not race but income wise.
There's one (a Starbucks) in Parkchester and I would imagine there is at least one in Riverdale, and maybe a few others in other areas. But I guess you meant there aren't any in the Central Bronx area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City