U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanMikeNYC View Post
Hello I am a 23 yrs college student asking what maybe a stupid question. But I took the Train Operator exam, i got the results and i received a 14/80 I dont know if that good or bad. I think that is bad not not close to failing. So i need a step to step process of what is next...I didn't get my listing number i want to know is that what I am waiting on to move on? I went back to school because I was very close to finish but I dont know anything about what to do next and NYC is great on helpin ppl to get this help. I am not in NYC as i write this but need to know if I should just give up now or keep checkin
Good luck.

Last edited by NYer75; 04-22-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM

216 posts, read 660,369 times
Are there any study guides for the Motormen's exam? If so, where do you buy them?

My advice is , don't waste your time or money on the book. I am a motorman and took the open competitive test. It is a mixture of reading comprehension and math , and really the only thing you can do to prepare for it is read. Reading the newspaper is just as helpful as reading one of those books. You don't need to know anything about operating a train , anything technical about it , if you get the job you'll go to school for 6 months and learn what you need to know there. Math is math , if you're not good at it , practice it. You'll need to score highly on the test , not merely pass it to have any realistic hope of getting the job , and that is true nowadays of any and all civil service titles. Not to burst your bubble , I certainly encourage you to go for it if this is the job you want , but they just gave a test last year that they haven't activated the list yet. Once they do , that list will be active for 4 years. It's doubtful the MTA will give another exam in under 3 years and even then , you'll be on the waiting list for around 3 or so years. If that's ok with you , then go for it. In the meantime a suggestion for you is to check out the websites for various railroads. Norfolk Southern , Union Pacific , BNSF , etc. You might have a quicker shot at getting hired as a conductor on a railroad and then promoting to a railraod engineer , usually after a year or so. MTA train operators , we make about $60-$65k/yr on average , usually about $62k. Railroad conductors start at 43k/yr and railroad engineers earn 70-75k/yr. Something to think about. As much as I like my job as a subway motorman , I also do keep an eye out for when the major railroads are hiring since I'd like to move out of the city at some point. I don't know if you want to stay here for the long run or would consider relocating. Either way , good luck , you can check the MTA's website to see the open competitive exams they're giving and when. Let me know how you make out.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,639 times
Default Where are the test results!!!!

I too took the motorman test in June '09. Never heard from anyone though.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM

40,060 posts, read 19,752,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ef400 View Post
I too took the motorman test in June '09. Never heard from anyone though.
The two key questions: one--what's your list number? And two--which list is currently active? I know for sure that train operator classes are currently being called. So either they haven't gotten up to your number, or the list you're on isn't certified yet.

One other thing to keep in mind. We're talking about the civil service system here. Less than twelve months after you took the test means, in plain English, it's way too early to start holding your breath. If you get called before two years, that's good time!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM

The list for the June '09 test hasn't been certified yet. It's been 11 months though , I don't know why you haven't received your score and list#. I took the Oct. '03 test and got my score and list # in Jan '04 even though I didn't get called for processing until April '07 and started training in June '07.

They are still hiring train operators , at least two classes came out already this year that I know of , I don't know if any are in training right now ...

The good news is that many 'old timers' that have been putting off retirement for years are now retiring and heading out the door ... so there are vacancies opening and positions that need to be filled , so that's a plus for you and anyone on a list ...

The bad news is , for someone like yourself on an open competitive list , with station agents being laid off and possibly bus operators and other positions (other than motormen) , if any of those people are on a list or get put on a list for T/O , they and all the other promotionals are going to get called before open competitive.

My guess , and it's a guess , I have no inside info on this , is that if you have a list number between 1-1000 , you'll get called in 3-4 years. Can it happen earlier? There are no rules it can't ... but I think you'll be in for a similiar wait that I was in for. I scored 69/70 right and had a list number in the top 330 when no layoffs were going on and still waited almost 4 years. But also , people weren't retiring in the numbers they are leaving at now , so that could balance things out for you.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
They are still hiring train operators , at least two classes came out already this year that I know of , I don't know if any are in training right now ...
Mike, I know there's a class in school now. (There's a good thing about being in towers: you know what's out there on those rails!)

Old 05-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Good to know Fred , just please keep those school car trains out from in front of mine , I hate being plugged by one

Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,615 times
Default Sorry for newbie question

I took the TO test but have yet to hear anything either i do not have my answer sheet and have move around a couple of time due to currently complicatited and difficult life, lolis the any way i can check results on line or call anywhere to find this info. I apologize as i currently searching for this info thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,208,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdotc View Post
I took the TO test but have yet to hear anything either i do not have my answer sheet and have move around a couple of time due to currently complicatited and difficult life, lolis the any way i can check results on line or call anywhere to find this info. I apologize as i currently searching for this info thanks in advance.
Dude,the results should be coming soon hopefully,just be patient. It's going to be almost 1 year since we took the T/O exam. It will be on the Chief-Leader online once the list comes out. Another good source is NYCtransitforum.com look under transit career information and discussions.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdotc View Post
When I took the promotional exam for tower operator, I moved before the callup...and I never got a notice from DCAS. I found out about it from the Crew Assignment Office here at MTA. But if you aren't already employed here, you won't have that as a "safety net." So I would recommend that you keep them up to date with your current address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City